PDA

View Full Version : World's Largest Weather Vane

brad kaste
October 20th, 2008, 15:25
This is truly a mind blower. A DC-3 used as a weather vane in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory Canada.

http://explorenorth.com/library/aviation/cf-cpy.html

Just a brief bit of info how accurate it is as a wind indicator:
Starting in 1977, the Yukon Flying Club restored this northern veteran to its Canadian Pacific Airlines colours for permanent display at the Whitehorse airport. The restoration took four years, but in 1981, she was raised onto the pedestal built by master welder Al Jacobs. Pivoting on its mount, CF-CPY always points into the wind, just as she would have while lined up on the runway for takeoff. Due to the fine balance point, it only takes a 5 knot wind to turn her.

jmig
October 20th, 2008, 18:42
That is a really neat story. I am glad clubs like Yukon Flying Club take the time an effort to restore and preserve aviation history.

OBIO
October 20th, 2008, 22:17
I don't care what anyone else thinks, but I personally think that the DC-3 is the absolute best looking twin prop passenger/cargo plane of all time. Heck, even in OD Green and called a C-47, it was still a great looking plane.

OBIO

lifejogger
October 21st, 2008, 04:51
It nice they keep her restored. It would even be nicer if the restored her to fly again.

Lionheart
October 21st, 2008, 09:31
It nice they keep her restored. It would even be nicer if the restored her to fly again.

I agree.. I hate to see that ole girl up there on the post. arrghh..

Awesome though that she is preserved.

Bill

Allen
October 21st, 2008, 15:15
I agree.. I hate to see that ole girl up there on the post. arrghh..

Awesome though that she is preserved.

Bill

Better on a post than becoming you next beer can!