PDA

View Full Version : New system: which would be the better choice..?

Ferry_vO
July 30th, 2009, 03:25
I'm looking into a new computer, as my current one is almost three years old by now. I've configured to systems that differ slightly, and I would like to get some opinions on which one is best.

Both systems have a Intel Core i7 920 processor, 1 Tb harddisk and a free windows 7 upgrade coupon (Which is why I'm thinking of upgrading now.)

The first system comes with Vista Home premium 64-bit, MSI X-58 pro-E motherboard, 6 Gb A-data 1333 mhz DDR3 ram, a Hitachi HDD, GeForce GTX275 896Mb videocard, Cooler master case and 700 Watt silent pro PSU.

The second system ships with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Asus P6T deluxe mobo, 6Gb Corsair XMS3 ram, Western Digital Caviar HDD, ATi 4890 1Gb vid card and a Corsair 650 Watt psu.

A third option would be the Acer Aspire Predator G7710 (I like the looks of that case). This one also comes with a I7 920/6Gb ram, Nvidia GTX 285 1 Gb, 2Tb HDD's and a 750 Watt PSU, but (And this is a big 'but'for me) there's no info to be found anywhere on the type or brand of motherboard, HDD and RAM installed and I'm not sure if it will be fully compatible with upgrade parts.

The first system is slightly cheaper and comes with more software included, but IMHO some of the parts are of slightly lower quality than the second system (RAM and motherboard). The second system has Vista 32-bit and no option to upgrade to the 64-bit version. Would this be a problem?

txnetcop
July 30th, 2009, 05:22
Hey Ferry,
I just spent a week testing the MSI X58 Eclipse, PRO and PRO E at TechCorp. I really like the PRO-E motherboard, while inexpensive, it is still as powerful as the Eclipse and more powerful than the ASUS and has more features. The Northbridge takes the biggest beating when OCing a motherboard, the PRO-E never overheated even at 4.2GHz. So, since you asked I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. It also has motherboard reset onboard and a set of dip switches that allow you to overclock without getting into the BIOS. I really do prefer using 1600 mhz Corsair Dominator memory if you have that option.

Here's some info:
http://www.techspot.com/review/168-msi-x58-pro-e/
Ted

Ferry_vO
July 30th, 2009, 06:08
Thanks for the advice Ted. I could go for the 1600mhz Corsair ram, but only in 3Gb. Since I do not plan on overclocking, I think I'd be better off with the 6Gb 1333mhz anyway. The Asus P6T deluxe does outperform the MSi board in the link you posted though..

One benefit of the second system is that it comes with Vista on DVD, while the first one doesn't, just a recovery set up on the hard disk.

Which just leaves the question: Vista/Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

txnetcop
July 30th, 2009, 19:55
The ASUS did outperform the MSI in the link I agree but here at TechCorp it did not. As a matter of fact our best OC was 4.412 on air and sustained. Your best performance is really up to the owner of the system if he knows what he is doing. Not knocking ASUS P6s, I have built several but I was really surprised by MSI PRO E price/performance was really HUGE. I am not an MSI fan but I am a fan of this particular board now. Anyway advice was free so take what you can use of it
Ted

hairyspin
July 31st, 2009, 12:18
You get both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7 in the jewel case, so you can change your mind .... but 32-bit will not use more than 4GB memory. Pack the mobo with RAM and use 64-bit!

Ferry_vO
August 1st, 2009, 06:19
You get both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7 in the jewel case

Not with the free upgrade program over here. If I have 32-bit Vista I can only upgrade to 32-bit W7, same goes for the 64-bit version. Thanks for the tip on the RAM though; looks like I should go for a system with 64-bit vista installed!

hairyspin
August 3rd, 2009, 11:25
Is this Windows 7 E? (for Europe, no IE or mail client) because afaik in Britain we're not getting upgrade packages but standalones - upgrade packages will be released later. Home Premium and Professional are to ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions in the box, according to Amazon UK; don't know about Ultimate.

I'll know by late October, but I'm certainly going the 64-bit route, while retaining XP Pro on a second HD for the stuff I still use that needs it. I'm using Windows 7 RC2 64-bit meantime and it set up a dual boot system for my existing XP Pro without me lifting a finger.

Ferry_vO
August 25th, 2009, 13:32
Thanks for the advice guys, I ordered a new system yesterday:

Intel Core i7 920 processor
1 Tb Hitachi harddisk
Vista Home Premium 64-bit with a free windows 7 upgrade coupon
MSI X-58 pro-E motherboard
6 Gb A-data 1333 mhz triple channel DDR3 ram
XFX GeForce GTX275 896Mb videocard
Cooler master HAF 922 Mid-tower case
Cooler Master 600 Watt silent pro PSU
Sony CD/DVD Writer