PDA

View Full Version : Record breaking temperatures in Seattle

denisch
July 29th, 2009, 15:25
Today it was 102 degrees F. in Seattle, the hottest temperature in over 180 years of record keeping!! Hmmmm....maybe there is something to those "global warming" theories, or maybe its just SUMMER.

Henry
July 29th, 2009, 15:46
its been 108 here but dropped to the high 90's
but this is the sunny south
H

redfly
July 29th, 2009, 15:49
Yep, it's a hot one...and just down the road a ways in Orting it was 109 degrees. My 20 minute commute from Seatac airport turned into 1 hour due to all the over heated cars stalled on I-5 southbound. Glad my full-sized enviromentally UN-friendly pickup has air conditioning. Definately time for a few adult beverages :icon29: :icon29: :icon29: :icon29:

Naismith
July 29th, 2009, 15:52
We are just a wee bit North of KSEA and it is 100 degrees (or 38 degrees Canadian) according to my widget.

I tell a lie, it has just jumped to 39.......

Roger
July 29th, 2009, 16:05
In the UK we've one of the wettest, overcast miserable bloomin' Julys in living memory:isadizzy: Temps barely up to 65 F

denisch
July 29th, 2009, 16:27
To Henry: I know that for most parts of the world 102 degrees in summer isn't much to complain about, but for the Seattle area, that's use to over 200 days of rain a year, it makes this place a sweat box! Most of the homes around here don't have air conditioning, its (almost) never needed. It would be too bad if there was just alittle breeze, but the air around here has been dead.

To Redfly: A fire in the meridian of I-5 didn't help things. Traffic on both north and south bound were at a standstill as firefighters fought the blaze from both sides. I was going to go see the Blue Angles at the Museum of Flight but bailed out when I hit the backup.

DaveKDEN
July 29th, 2009, 16:43
Today it was 102 degrees F. in Seattle, the hottest temperature in over 180 years of record keeping!! Hmmmm....maybe there is something to those "global warming" theories, or maybe its just SUMMER.

Funny, I was thinking it was global cooling as we've had some pretty cool temps in the Denver area. :d

Thoe6969
July 29th, 2009, 16:46
Today it was 102 degrees F. in Seattle, the hottest temperature in over 180 years of record keeping!! Hmmmm....maybe there is something to those "global warming" theories, or maybe its just SUMMER. No global warming here in Ohio, we've had the coldest July on record.Weather is sure screwed up.

redfly
July 29th, 2009, 16:54
To Henry: I know that for most parts of the world 102 degrees in summer isn't much to complain about, but for the Seattle area, that's use to over 200 days of rain a year, it makes this place a sweat box! Most of the homes around here don't have air conditioning, its (almost) never needed. It would be too bad if there was just alittle breeze, but the air around here has been dead.

To Redfly: A fire in the meridian of I-5 didn't help things. Traffic on both north and south bound were at a standstill as firefighters fought the blaze from both sides. I was going to go see the Blue Angles at the Museum of Flight but bailed out when I hit the backup.

Hi denisch...
I saw the firetrucks in the northbound lanes. by the time I got to them the fires were out but northbound traffic was backed up all the way past exit 143 (my turn off). The nice thing about working at Sea-Tac this timeof year is I can watch the Blues practice Thursday and Friday for SeaFair over Lake Washington even if it is 100 plus degrees and I don't have to fight for a spot on the 'logs' :icon_lol:

Mark

GT182
July 29th, 2009, 16:55
Been pretty warm and humid here too. Mid to high 90s and a 100* day so far this month. Just started getting some rain last week but still not enough to get the lawn back up and growing, tho the weeds are havin a ball. LOL Seems the weather man can't forcast for crap. Last week they said rain every day but only had one good rain shower. Norht of us had it bad with downed tress and the power out for over a day. Raining here tonight but doesn't look like it'll last for very long.

Monday and Tuesday night there was one hell of a thunder storm up Philly way. A real light show for about 2 hours straight each night. Glad I wasn't up there.

Rami
July 29th, 2009, 17:17
Our weather has been more akin to Roger's. It's been unusually cool and wet here in New England, May and June were about 7-8 degrees fahrenheit below normal. We've finally gotten our Bermuda High set up, so that means warm and humid, typical summer air with highs around 85-90 degrees.

From a Meteorological standpoint, the United States is in an "upside-down W" pattern (Not an "M", because that would have straight vertical lines)...a strong ridge in the west and east, with a deep trough in the middle. Those who lie in the convergence zones between these air masses are getting pummeled...those in the cold zone are just that, and those in the ridges are just a raisin' in the sun.

The ridge that's over the Midwest and Great Plains has been ours here in New England for most of the "spring" we didn't have, thank god the bugger moved west for a while and left us alone!

Captain Tenneal
July 29th, 2009, 17:24
No global warming here in the Mojave it's still hovering around 113-115 each day

smoores
July 29th, 2009, 18:37
73 as of now. One of the better summers I can remember.

EasyEd
July 29th, 2009, 18:39
Hey All,

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this weather were related to global climate change. While almost always presented as a seemingly straight line increase in temperature the reality is that there will be far more variability in weather while the average is a pretty simple number. Seems we might be seeing that and have for some years now - just not recognizing it for what it is.

It is interesting to remember that the global mean temperature at the height of the ice age when so much land was covered by ice was only 5 degrees C colder than the global mean temperature today. So a one or two degree shift in global mean is huge. Also think about the variability the world probably saw then.

-Ed-

PS I'm on Vancouver island and it is HOT here too. Don't know about records though. Also I saw it was 114 deg F in Chehallis so Seattle caught a break.

Kiwikat
July 29th, 2009, 19:43
No global warming here in Ohio, we've had the coldest July on record.Weather is sure screwed up.

Yeah we had record low highs the other week. No "warming" going on here in Wisconsin.

However, we are still in somewhat of a drought. :blind:

Bomber_12th
July 29th, 2009, 21:28
I know exactly what you all are talking about...typically the temps should be right around 90-95 for this time of year here in Minnesota, but it hardly gets out of the upper 70's. One day, earlier this month, it didn't get any warmer than 63! I know these temps must sound wonderful for those who are used to 100+ temps, but it is almost depressing that there hasn't been much of a summer as it should be.

stiz
July 29th, 2009, 21:34
In the UK we've one of the wettest, overcast miserable bloomin' Julys in living memory:isadizzy: Temps barely up to 65 F

ya! rained all day here yesterday :frown:

WarHorse47
July 30th, 2009, 05:13
I'm South of Seattle. It hit 104 in Olympia, yesterday. Very few homes have air conditioning including ours, which translates to 97 inside the house.

After sunset I was able to cool the house down to 94 before I attempted to get some sleep, that was about 10 pm.

Right now (Thursday morning at 6:00 am) it's 70 outside, and nice in the house with all the fans going to pull in the cool air. But it promises to be around 100 again today and within a few degrees of that the next five days.

It's not that bad overall if you can take it easy. Today, however, I'm staying home from work to begin a bathroom remodel and I'm not looking forward to this afternoon's heat.

--WH

cheezyflier
July 30th, 2009, 05:50
well, here in toronto we have seen at least 2 rain days each week, and so far haven't hit the 80 degree mark yet. it's been wet and cool all summer. i would love to see see record high temps and no rain.

kilo delta
July 30th, 2009, 06:00
ya! rained all day here yesterday :frown:

Same here....if this keeps up our children will evolve with webbed feet

ahh..well ....there's alway's...

:guinness::guinness: :bump:

Snuffy
July 30th, 2009, 06:58
How does this equate to all the unprecedented rainfall I'm getting here in FLA?

I'm seriously considering turning my existing house into an on grade pool and building an addition on top of it for living quarters.

:bump:

java2srv
July 30th, 2009, 07:14
Rain storms around Denver for 2 weeks now , ground is saturated, may get up to 55 F in Colorado Springs today.

deKoven
July 31st, 2009, 04:08
To Henry: I know that for most parts of the world 102 degrees in summer isn't much to complain about, but for the Seattle area, that's use to over 200 days of rain a year, it makes this place a sweat box! Most of the homes around here don't have air conditioning, its (almost) ....

You is a double dyed eejit! Seattle gets about 38 inches a year of rain; nowhere near the 200 you're claiming. Out on the outer coast of WA there really are places that get 200 inches but they're classed as rain forest. Seattle is on the eastern side of the Olympic mountains and in their shadow, so to speak.

On the other hand, Seattle area rain isn't like a monsoon. It comes down gently and mistily. For that reason it can SEEM like there's a lot of rainy days but not a whole lot of water.

Source and provenence ?? I am a native washingtonian, was born in Spokane and have lived in Seattle and environs since 1960.

:kilroy:

denisch
July 31st, 2009, 10:39
I never claimed 200 INCHES, I claimed 200 DAYS! And its true that most of the time the rain fall is like a heavy mist, but rain never the less. And yes, I maybe a "double dyed eejit", but atleast I can READ!!

Ridge
July 31st, 2009, 11:35
Been in the 70s and raining all week in Colorado...

Willy
July 31st, 2009, 12:06
Today's the first non rainy day here since Monday. I might even get a chance to take my horse out for a ride. I think the next saddle I buy will be a synthetic, that way I can get it wet without worrying about ruining it.

Temps this week have been in the 70s. Today it's about 80.

smilo
July 31st, 2009, 12:36
yesterday, there was an excellent radio program that explained what was happening with the weather here in the Pacific Northwest.
if you're interested;
http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=18050

the guest was Cliff Mass, the University of Washington Atmospheric Scientist.
not only was the high temp record (103 in Seattle) shattered, the record for the high/low differential in a 24 hour period was smashed.

BTW, I am amazed to see so many folks from this neck of the woods around here.
I'm out on the Olympic Peninsula.