PDA

View Full Version : For Rami's new BoB campaign and all Spitfire fans

kelticheart
July 29th, 2009, 05:30
A good day to everybody!

a month and a half away from the Battle of Britain 69th anniversary, I thought it may be of general interest this little historical info I got from Peter Haining's "The Spitfire Log, 50th anniversary tribute", published in 1986 by Souvenir Press.

Rami, this info could be useful for your campaign "immersion factor" details. :wavey:

It lists all the airfields where Spitfire-equipped Squadrons flew from during the BoB, including the Fighter Command Groups, Squadron numbers they served and their Squadron Leader names. For some squadrons I was able to add the squadron code letters, too:

No.10 Group (H.Q.: Box, Wiltshire)

1) Pembrey Sector Station

No. 92 Squadron (QJ code), Sqdn.Ldr. P.J. Sanders

2) St.Eval Sector Station

No. 234 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. J.S. O'Brien

3) Middle Wallop Sector Station

No. 609 Squadron (PR code), Sqdn.Ldr. Horace Darley

No. 152 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. Peter Devitt

No. 11 Group (H.Q.: Uxbridge, Middlesex)

1) Hornchurch Sector Station

No. 54 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. James Leathart

No. 65 Squadron (FZ code), Sqdn.Ldr. A.L. Holland

No. 74 Squadron (ZP code), Sqdn.Ldr. Francis White

No. 266 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. R.L. Wilkinson

2) Biggin Hill Sector Station

No. 610 Squadron (DW code), Sqdn.Ldr. John Ellis

3) Kenley Sector Station

No. 64 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. Aeneas MacDonnell

No.12 Group (H.Q.: Nottingham)

1) Church Fenton Sector Station

No. 616 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. Marcus Robinson

2) Kirton-in-Lindsey Sector Station

No. 222 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. Johnnie Hill

3) Digby Sector Station

No. 611 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. James McComb

4) Coltishall Sector Station

No. 66 Squadron (LZ code), Sqdn.Ldr. Rupert Leigh

5) Duxford Sector Station

No. 19 Squadron (QV code), Sqdn.Ldr. P.C. Pinkham

No.13 Group (H.Q.: Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland)

1) Catterick Sector Station

No. 41 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. H.R.L. Hood

2) Usworth Sector Station

No. 72 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. A.R. Collins

No. 79 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. Hervey Hayworth

3) Dyce Sector Station (Coastal Command)

No. 603 Squadron, Sqdn.Ldr. George Denholm

4) Turnhouse Sector Station

No. 602 Squadron (LO code), Sqdn.Ldr. A.V.R. Johnstone

Dedicated to the "Few" that might still be alive and all Spitfire fans.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Rami
July 29th, 2009, 06:12
I will use as much of this as I can, but I might have to fudge now and then. Thanks! :ernae:

sc7500
July 29th, 2009, 14:35
... "ON HOLIDAY" didn't you translate, Paisan ??? LOL ! :icon_lol:

You're on Vacation, right ?

RELAX !!!
SC
:kilroy:

Ravenna
July 29th, 2009, 20:16
Kelti,
Did you find this valuable information before or after you got "stoned"?:icon_lol:

kelticheart
July 29th, 2009, 23:47
Kelti,
Did you find this valuable information before or after you got "stoned"?:icon_lol:

Before, before..........:rolleyes:

I had forgotten about it, but Rami's announcement of a new BoB campaign for CFS2 made me think he might wish to use it. There are repaints for both YAS' (by RobH) and AH's Spitfire MkIA reproducing some of those squadrons liveries.

B.T.W.: Hornchurch-based No. 54 Squadron code was KL. New Zealand top scoring ace, Air Commodore Alan C. "Al" Deere flew in the BoB as a young Flying Officer with No. 54 Sqdn.

I think it's still possible downloading AH's early Spitfire MkIA model, coded KL-B, P9398, Al Deere's mount during the BoB.

A KL-B "Kiwi"repaint of the more up-to-date AH's second MkIA model or Merlin66's improved YAS MkIA PR-F, could be a nice way to complement Rami's new effort.......hint, hint :d

I will use as much of this as I can, but I might have to fudge now and then. Thanks!

You're welcome! Don't worry, we all know CFS2 limits. Besides, there are some airfields in the above lists that aren't currently available as CFS2 sceneries, like Pembrey, St.Eval, Church Fenton, Kirton-in-Lindsey and Digby.

I'd leave Group 13 airfields out, as it was located too far North to be directly involved in the Battle, although Group 13 squadrons were rotated to the Group 11 front line bases during the beginning of September 1940, to help Group 11 exhausted pilots.

It was then when Prime Minister Churchill asked how many reserves were left and he was answered "None, sir!"

A brief Google search with "Al Deere Spitfire" as search keywords, brought up amazing stuff including Mr. Brendon Deere's, Al Deere's nephew, restoring project of an F MkIX in his uncle's Spit colours when he was Biggin Hill Wing Commander.

Moreover, Google showed Spitfire Colour Schemes at the bottom of the page which gave me

(here, check this one out)

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/gb/spitfire1.htm

more squadron fuselage code info. 12th Group, Digby, No. 611 Sqdn. code was FY.

Now, what about this?:

http://spitfiresite.com/reference/camouflage-markings/default.asp

I didn't know there was a Spitfire-dedicated website!

Cheers!

hewman100
July 30th, 2009, 02:26
234: AZ
152: UM
266: UO
64: SH
222: ZD
41: EB
72: ZP
603: XT

And those are off the top of my head gentlemen.

Oh, and Al Deeres mount 'Kiwi III' was serialled P9390 the 8 was misread from a photo and the error has been perpetuated ever since!

kelticheart
July 30th, 2009, 08:18
234: AZ
152: UM
266: UO
64: SH
222: ZD
41: EB
72: ZP
603: XT

And those are off the top of my head gentlemen.

Oh, and Al Deeres mount 'Kiwi III' was serialled P9390 the 8 was misread from a photo and the error has been perpetuated ever since!

Thank you Hewman!

Now, to complete this nice historical review:
No.79, AL code
No.616, QJ code

I found the BoB official site: great info here too!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/Bob1940/index.html

Cheers!

Rami
July 30th, 2009, 09:43
Kelti,

That site is what I'm using for weather and time information. :ernae:

kelticheart
July 31st, 2009, 21:33
Kelti,

That site is what I'm using for weather and time information. :ernae:

...since I'm not that great Internet wanderer, I figured you had already gotten there long before me.

Good job, Rami! Cant'wait to fly the new BoB, I am filling up Achim's UK airports with trees, it'll be like being inside the BoB movie!

Cheers!

Rami
August 1st, 2009, 04:38
I have 3 campaigns completed thus far...I was going to start on RussBoB today.

hewman100
August 3rd, 2009, 02:19
Hey Kelti, considering you mentioned YAS MKIA PR-F how did we both manage to forget 609 Sqn of which it was part?:kilroy:

kelticheart
August 3rd, 2009, 14:02
Hey Kelti, considering you mentioned YAS MKIA PR-F how did we both manage to forget 609 Sqn of which it was part?:kilroy:

Well, Hewman, actually I did not.

Look at the opening post up above, No. 609 Sqdn. is listed in Fighter Command Group 10, under its Middle Wallop home base.

Cheers!

SPman
August 3rd, 2009, 17:15
A brief Google search with "Al Deere Spitfire" as search keywords, brought up amazing stuff including Mr. Brendon Deere's, Al Deere's nephew, restoring project of an F MkIX in his uncle's Spit colours when he was Biggin Hill Wing Commander.

And a lovely example it is, too. Based at Ohakea, an active RNZAF base, it is flown occasionally by Sqdrn Ldr Sean Perret - lucky bugger! (among others) How many other active Airforce officers get to fly old warbirds like this (apart from the RAF BoB memorial flight pilots)

hewman100
August 4th, 2009, 01:55
Old Age creeping up on me Kelti!

There was an article on the Deere Spit in Aeroplane or Flypast recently. It is a wonderful looking restoration.

egypt23spitfire
August 4th, 2009, 04:02
....:ernae:thanks KELTI for posting list:ernae:

kelticheart
August 4th, 2009, 09:57
Old Age creeping up on me Kelti!

There was an article on the Deere Spit in Aeroplane or Flypast recently. It is a wonderful looking restoration.

Old age yours? eheheheheheh.......:icon_lol:

No problem, Hewman, did you get to see all the pics shot in flight from another aircraft?

They sure make one dream....

Cheers!
KH:ernae: