PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever delete your Texture folder...

MenendezDiego
July 29th, 2009, 01:53
...what a nightmare!

So a while back I installed an aircraft...accidently installed it to microsoft games instead of FSX...thus all the files went inside the FSX folder (where SimObjects, Sound, all that stuff goes)

I was cleaning up the pc today, and saw Texture, Texture 1., Texture 2. etc. etc.

I'll just go ahead and delete these textures since it's from an aircraft which I installed incorrectly...excepet I deleted the FSX Texture folder.

Once everything was nice and clean, run FSX, no joy. Try again...no joy.

Did this about 4 times after restarting my PC a couple of times.

It finally dawned on me what I had deleted (from the Recycling Bin too)

Thank god for recovery programs!
(Now she's not running yet, the recovery program is still getting all my deleted files, but I can clearly see all the texture files, so hopefully in the next 10 minutes I'll be back in business)

WHAT A SCARE! Anyone else accidently do this?

Regards, Diego

BananaBob
July 29th, 2009, 01:55
I deleted my Recycle Bin one time and my PC exploded, LOL! :ernae:

MenendezDiego
July 29th, 2009, 01:56
Oh I've been there Bob...bad times!

MenendezDiego
July 29th, 2009, 02:08
of course, once the scan was finished, it asks me to pay 40 dollars to recover them.

Looks like another re-install of FSX is underway...

harleyman
July 29th, 2009, 02:54
Just run repair on it from disk one...

that should restore the file..... BUT....

And yes...been there...Done that too.

Do you have GEX or UTX ?

They also make backup texture folders that are restorable..Might work...

JoeW
July 29th, 2009, 05:30
For this reason, if no other, I NEVER delete anything from FS. I may rename it (BGL to BAK) and 2 weeks later move it to another folder. Then about 3 months later I just might delete it.

Meshman
July 29th, 2009, 07:03
With reading many posts about problems with installers and uninstallers, default texture files being overwritten by addons, so many other problems, I went and made Zips of all the FSX texture folder after my last reinstall. It took a while, but now saved to a DVD are all the default texture files, easily to restore should the need arise. And that doesn't include the full iage of FSX sitting on my external HD.

Bjoern
July 29th, 2009, 10:14
I delete everything I come across.

If it affects FSX operations, I pop in my custom "FSX SP2 recovery disk" and recover the affected folders and done.

spotlope
July 29th, 2009, 11:06
I once threw away the system folder on a Mac Classic back in the early '90's. On friday evening, too... right before a long weekend. Still better than the time I accidentally mailed a pair of boarding passes as I was rushing to a flight. Somehow, stopping by the mailbox on the way to the gate to mail some bills seemed like a really good idea at the time.

sigh.

Dangerous Beans
July 29th, 2009, 14:23
Been there, done that.

Well actually I dont claim the entire blame for it as the uninstall exe of an addon plane I decided I didnt like did it for me.

I dont remember what it was as it was ages ago but it was an FS9 port so I guess it must have put some files in the main texture folder. The uninstall must have decided that it couldnt be bothered to just delete its own textures and deleted the whole folder instead.
I was suprised it didnt delete the effects and guages folders too while it was at it.

Ended up doing a full reinstall as it had got a bit messy anyway.