PDA

View Full Version : looking to perfect my sim experience

dhl1986
July 22nd, 2009, 21:23
i have REX, UTX, some great payware and freeware planes, and finally have FSX to a point where it looks great, and runs smoothly. i am mainly into naval aviation and use the ai carrier package , with a freeware t45 as well. it is a great, great plane , but is intended for training and i have gotten to a point where i can do carrier ops blindfolded in the t45. i want to bump up to the big boy stuff, preferably a super hornet. i have acceleration and do enjoy the standard f18, but it feels kind of bland. it doesnt have to be a super hornet, i only require that it is carrier capable (for both cat launches, and trapping) .

also, i am looking for a scenery pack for a military base somewhere near the ocean. ideally i would like to spawn in a cold and dark super hornet on a well detailed military base, fly out to the coast and do carrier ops, and then fly back to the base. this would be absolute flight sim utopia for me :)

so in a nutshell i am looking for suggestions for three things

1. a freeware or payware plane meeting all the criteria above
2. a mod to make a plane spawn with the engine off (cold and dark is the term i hear most often)
3. an excellent scenery package for a military base

freeware is preferred, but for something high quality i dont mind paying. thank you in advance for any help, this is an excellent community you guys have going on here.

Kiwikat
July 22nd, 2009, 21:29
Wait for the VRS F-18 Superbug for FSX...

and keep waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

I'm sure eventually it'll come out? :sleep:

MenendezDiego
July 22nd, 2009, 21:30
Since you have Accel, go to Edwards AFB...pretty damn good, especially with all the sliders.

For a freeware naval aircraft...look no further, http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

harleyman
July 23rd, 2009, 00:47
For cold and dark..

Shut it all down after a flight, at the airport you want to start from each time, then save it as your default flight...

Or any variation of that...

Daube
July 23rd, 2009, 04:04
The freeware Super Hornet from Daisuke works in FSX Acceleration.
It has a nice VC but nothing is clickable.
It's a FPS hog, but the situation improves a lot if you disable the option 'high definition virtual cockpit' in the graphic options of the game.
Some users have reported a problem with the canopy being opaque, even when you edit the canopy textures. I don't have this problem. However I have a problem with the HUD that displays carzy lines when banking to the left.

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/daube_image625.jpg

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/daube_image629.jpg

dswo
July 23rd, 2009, 05:34
I'm enjoying the Captain Sim/Xload F/A-18 that others have recommended here, but it's an upgrade of your existing Hornet, not a completely new build. If I were to buy another navalized fighter, it would be something with a collimated HUD, like the Iris Tomcat.
For detailed naval bases, search for dhaenens in the flightsim.com file library and you will get a bunch of coastal NASs.
The only thing left is to get a carrier. If you look on the long Nimitz thread, there is a .bgl that sends the Nimitz from San Diego up to around Point Mugu and back. That could be used in combination with Dhaenens's North Island NAS scenery.