PDA

View Full Version : Useful info from vapor trails?

dswo
July 22nd, 2009, 07:02
This will be an easy question for the fast flyers: when my wingtips start to trail vapor, is that giving me useful information? As a pilot I mean; if you are hunting bombers, then vapor trails have another, more obvious use...

pointy31
July 22nd, 2009, 07:11
This will be an easy question for the fast flyers: when my wingtips start to trail vapor, is that giving me useful information? As a pilot I mean; if you are hunting bombers, then vapor trails have another, more obvious use...

Yes, you have a vapor leak...:sleep:

Piglet
July 22nd, 2009, 19:47
If you are in air combat, and your bogie is tip trailing, he's pulling G's, and therefore using up energy. He may be pulling hard into you, or in evasive mode. Make him use up his energy before you use up yours....

fliger747
July 27th, 2009, 08:05
The contrails you see of all of the high altitude manuvering in WWII photos are mostly from condensation of engine exhaust. Typically occurs when outside static air temps gets below -30 C or so. Dependent on the temp and the amout of current saturation.

The wingtip (or at the outboard edge of the flaps on a landing aircraft) vorticies depend greatly on the releative humidity and can be see on a very moisty day on aircraft taking off and landing at your local airport. The higher angle of attack causes a pressure drop in the vorticies, which cool and condenses any moisture in the air.

Cheers: Tom