PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to AvSim?

Helldiver
July 22nd, 2009, 05:19
I hate to ask this, but what ever happened to AvSim? It's nothing but advertisments. They don't list anything to download. There's nothing in their library. This after a couple of months after they "got well". We all made an investment in AvSim. They have all this new equipment, for what?

cheezyflier
July 22nd, 2009, 05:48
actually, this topic was discussed recently (i think in the fsx forum)

the results were typical.

some people expressing frustration that avsim has taken 2 months and counting to get the library back up,

other people admonishing the first group for being impatient with what is essentially a free service,

one person trying to justify avsim's excruciatingly slow return to it's former status by telling everyone of their bizzare method of insuring all the files are uncorrupted.
apparently they are individually scanning every single zip file, and they have split the load between 4 people, who must have computers far older and weaker than mine. although it might make sense to load the files already known to be clean, they have chosen not to do this, for whatever reason.
hence no avsim library untill sometime in 2010

Helldiver
July 22nd, 2009, 09:36
From what I heard, they had gotten some high-powered guys to help them getting going.
Plus it not too unlike the same things that Ickie has put up with, and all alone, he manages to get back up in short order. Maybe they should have Ickie to straighten them out.
Plus, although it's a free service. me like others, make a yearly contribution as well as making more money available when they had their recent troubles.
I don't care how large the library files are, in two months they have been through the most thorough of screening and anti-virus checking.
I was hoping to using it before they plant me so I don't have the luxury of time that most of you have.

JimC1702
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32
I'm curious why they couldn't accept new uploads and backload the old files as time allows. I don't see where it's necessary to have every existing file loaded before the library goes active. In fact, it might be easier to work the bugs out with fewer files.

Jim

Helldiver
July 22nd, 2009, 11:15
You make a darn good point there Jim. It must have occured to them or at least you think it would. Something strange is going on and we are not privy to it. It's been too long a time.

n4gix
July 22nd, 2009, 11:50
I'm curious why they couldn't accept new uploads and backload the old files as time allows. I don't see where it's necessary to have every existing file loaded before the library goes active. In fact, it might be easier to work the bugs out with fewer files.

Jim

It's so easy to be an "arm chair quarterback" these days. After reading all the recent threads in the Library forum, it's obvious that they wish to restore the fully indexed library pages, which means in turn that they have to recreate the original folder and file structure. :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
July 22nd, 2009, 11:57
Well my experiences have nothing to do with websites but from a communications stand point it is better to have nothing working at all than to have half of the system working half way.

From my point of view the new library system they installed months before was working poorly and I wonder if they are also taking the time to rebuild the whole library from scratch to start over.

Either way when they open for buisness again they will be slammed big time and jut trying to get on the library may be a task.

GT182
July 22nd, 2009, 12:31
I'm sure many of us have Avsim Library Files that are fine, virus free, and willing to send them to them. But then again, maybe they don't want our help.... just our money.

Ickie
July 22nd, 2009, 12:48
My name was mentioned, I and Canelo volunteered but were refused, lol

Too many chiefs, hehehe

here at SOH we are organized and we stick to our jobs.
I work on the server
Canelo works on the scripts
Douglas works on the FTP
Henry, runs the forums
Hey Moe cleans the mens room
Willy is just Willy
Moparmike is in training to do my job
The other Admins helps Hey Moe
we all help each other

n4gix
July 22nd, 2009, 14:07
I'm sure many of us have Avsim Library Files that are fine, virus free, and willing to send them to them. But then again, maybe they don't want our help.... just our money.

But, that's the point. They have the files already. It's getting them verified and then tied back into the index system that's taking time... :ernae:

As for the money, Tom Allensworth has made it perfectly clear that anyone who wishes to have their money back need only ask and provide a proof of payment...

...so much for that conspiracy theory. :pop4:

PRB
July 22nd, 2009, 14:11
My name was mentioned, I and Canelo volunteered but were refused, lol

Too many chiefs, hehehe

here at SOH we are organized and we stick to our jobs.
I work on the server
Canelo works on the scripts
Douglas works on the FTP
Henry, runs the forums
Hey Moe cleans the mens room
Willy is just Willy
Moparmike is in training to do my job
The other Admins helps Hey Moe
we all help each other

Willy is the Command Master Chief around here, that's what I think... hehe.

Willy
July 22nd, 2009, 14:22
Willy is the Command Master Chief around here, that's what I think... hehe.

Ouch, that hurts shipmate! :d

TARPSBird
July 22nd, 2009, 15:18
Looks to me like this deceased equine has been pretty well flogged over at the Avsim forums...
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=253124
We should keep in mind that the hack initially appeared to be fatal to the entire site, yet they decided to repair the damage and come back. Let's cut Avsim some slack and let them work at their own pace.

jmig
July 22nd, 2009, 15:24
Looks to me like this deceased equine has been pretty well flogged over at the Avsim forums...
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=253124
We should keep in mind that the hack initially appeared to be fatal to the entire site, yet they decided to repair the damage and come back. Let's cut Avsim some slack and let them work at their own pace.

I agree!

cheezyflier
July 27th, 2009, 06:33
and so this thread mirrors the last one.

JoeW
July 27th, 2009, 07:41
Avsim Library is back on line this morning. No new files .... but it's up again.
There is a Sim God !! :running:

GT182
July 27th, 2009, 09:17
It's good you're the "Server" Ron, and Henry is the forum "Runner". ;) Now that he's had a bit of a rest... run Henry run. :running: LOL

srgalahad
July 27th, 2009, 11:48
As Joe siad, the AVSIM library is up ... the announcement and caveats are posted here.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=255635&view=findpost&p=1609889

Some of the same will obviously apply to SOH.. have patience and you will be rewarded

Rob