PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 Timed Rockets?

Autothrottle
July 21st, 2009, 20:35
A while back I played the ancient, but original CFS1. The stock aircraft of some later types has what the CFS manual called a controlled timed rocket that activated when you pressed the Ctrl+3 buttons. However I've not seen that feature on rockets in CFS3. Did this ordnance perform as it did historically or is it just a fantastical idea to clear bombers out of the way? In any view, does anybody know why the CFS3 microsoft team nixed this feature from the ordnance package? I mean it would help alot when facing those large formations that pop up every so often. :mixedsmi:

BeauBrummie
July 22nd, 2009, 00:53
What sort of rocket was it, air to air or air to ground and what was timed about the rocket? I'm no expert, but I'm not aware of any historical 'timed' rockets.

Mathias
July 22nd, 2009, 01:19
A while back I played the ancient, but original CFS1. The stock aircraft of some later types has what the CFS manual called a controlled timed rocket that activated when you pressed the Ctrl+3 buttons. However I've not seen that feature on rockets in CFS3. Did this ordnance perform as it did historically or is it just a fantastical idea to clear bombers out of the way? In any view, does anybody know why the CFS3 microsoft team nixed this feature from the ordnance package? I mean it would help alot when facing those large formations that pop up every so often. :mixedsmi:

The Werfergranate 21 was timed and as you say was modelled in the original CFS (the visual model in CFS1 is pure phantasy though).
Since CFS3 has a focus on the tactical ground pounding stuff the aces thought it's a good idea to leave all the sophisticated weapons out even though the code had been developed.
This has been bugged badly during beta but they kindly ignored it.

Mathias
July 22nd, 2009, 02:59
What sort of rocket was it, air to air or air to ground and what was timed about the rocket? I'm no expert, but I'm not aware of any historical 'timed' rockets.

Beau, the Luftwaffe used an adoption of a infantry rocket for use against allied bombers.
Some rudimentary info at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_cm_Nebelwerfer_42

BeauBrummie
July 22nd, 2009, 03:10
Thanks Mathias, I now remember a bit about that one

grizzly50
July 22nd, 2009, 06:52
:kilroy:I was always fascinated by this one.:d

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fliegerfaust

Autothrottle
July 22nd, 2009, 20:45
The rockets I mentioned were like this: You would arm them from the aircraft and when they left the rack they were timed to explode directly in the bomber formations spreading flak and shrapnel. This was the air to air versions used by the Germans while the regular air to ground rockets were used by the Allies.