PDA

View Full Version : Entering the Twilight Zone

n4gix
July 20th, 2009, 16:41
You know you've entered the Twilight Zone and met a real moron when...

...a total stranger approaches you at Best Buy while looking over the "MagicJack*" display and asks...

"If I got one of these do ya think I could use it to access my dialup AOL account so's I could get rid of the regular phone?" :isadizzy:

*NOTE: for those who aren't familar with the MagicJack, it's a device that uses your highspeed internet account to provide phone service using your regular house telephones. For $19.95/year and a unique phone number, it's a pretty good deal... :)

GT182
July 20th, 2009, 18:06
*NOTE: for those who aren't familar with the MagicJack, it's a device that uses your highspeed internet account to provide phone service using your regular house telephones. For $19.95/year and a unique phone number, it's a pretty good deal... :)

But you gotta leave your computer on 24/7/365 Bill. Not my idea of a good deal.... no matter if it's 19.95 a year or not. ;)

If I'm not here, my computer is off. When I go to bed it's turned off... it needs it's rest too. ;) LOL

n4gix
July 20th, 2009, 18:17
But you gotta leave your computer on 24/7/365 Bill. Not my idea of a good deal.... no matter if it's 19.95 a year or not. ;)

If I'm not here, my computer is off. When I go to bed it's turned off... it needs it's rest too. ;) LOL

No, you don't have to leave the computer on... :pop4:

You plug it into an empty port on a router. If you have any kind of high-speed cable internet connection, simply put a router inbetween the cable "modem" and your computer. MagicJack itself is plugged into any available phone jack in the house, and will allow every phone in the house to work just as though it were hooked to a real "landline," including any portable phones you might have.

A basic four port router is ~$30, but like the MagicJack itself is a one-time expense...

In any case, this isn't the point of my post, and ignores the humorous aspect! :bump:

beatle
July 21st, 2009, 07:06
Not with the Magic Jack, that plugs into a computers USB port and has software that runs on a PC (unless they just came out with new hardware) - you can get hardware ATA's (Analog Telephone Adapter) from Cisco/Linksys, Grandstream, etc that will plug directly into a router/LAN, but the MagicJack isn't one of them :->

Tim

Brian_Gladden
July 21st, 2009, 08:52
I use Vonage....

$28 a month. Unlimited US and Canada long distance, caller ID, voice mail (message as an E-mail attachment if you want them) has it's own unit that our regular phones plug into and then the Vonage unit plugs in between the cable modem and the computer (or the wireless router in my case)

Had it for 5 years. works great.

Brian

PS: I got Bills joke about using Magic Jack to hook up his dialup... :applause:

n4gix
July 21st, 2009, 09:41
Not with the Magic Jack, that plugs into a computers USB port and has software that runs on a PC (unless they just came out with new hardware) - you can get hardware ATA's (Analog Telephone Adapter) from Cisco/Linksys, Grandstream, etc that will plug directly into a router/LAN, but the MagicJack isn't one of them :->

Tim

Ah, I was so focused on the "joke" that I missed out on the technical details. Having visited the website, I see now that I was mistaken. :redface:

I also note that they are offering a 30 day free trial today.

Snuffy
July 21st, 2009, 10:01
No, you don't have to leave the computer on... :pop4:

You plug it into an empty port on a router. If you have any kind of high-speed cable internet connection, simply put a router inbetween the cable "modem" and your computer. MagicJack itself is plugged into any available phone jack in the house, and will allow every phone in the house to work just as though it were hooked to a real "landline," including any portable phones you might have.

A basic four port router is ~$30, but like the MagicJack itself is a one-time expense...

In any case, this isn't the point of my post, and ignores the humorous aspect! :bump:

Tim

I guess there is some confusion yet?

AckAck
July 21st, 2009, 19:19
No confusion on MagicJack's site:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="435"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr><td valign="top"> Does my computer have to be on to make and receive calls?

</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td style="text-align: right;" width="40%">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="printHidden" valign="top">http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-73335289/cmd/kbresource/kb-2371496228500386821/tab_L.gif</td> <td id="tabtop" valign="top"> Answer
</td> <td class="printHidden" valign="top">http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-73335289/cmd/kbresource/kb-2371496228500386821/tab_R.gif</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
YES.

Your computer must be on and you must have an active Internet connection to be able to place and receive calls.
<o:p></o:p>
Voicemail and Call Forwarding WILL work if your computer is off or your magicJack is unplugged.

If the computer is off OR if you do not have an active Internet connection OR if the magicJack is unplugged from your computer...your magicJack voicemail will receive the call.
<o:p>AND</o:p>
If you enabled the magicJack Call Forwarding feature, you can have your magicJack number forward to an alternative mobile, home or business number.

Brian