PDA

View Full Version : CPU Over-Clocking Experiment!

SirBenn21
October 20th, 2008, 04:07
Hi

Okay, I finally got my new MOBO and Cooler. I'm very new to OCing, so I would appreciate any help. I've also gone online and did a bit of investigating on how to go about it. What I first want to accomplish it to get my CPU as high and stable as possible.

System Spec

Mother board: ASUS P5Q Pro; CPU: Intel Q9300; Cooler: ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme; RAM: Kingston 4GB; Display: ASUS 8800GTS

I’ve also have the following settings in the BIOS:

Ai Over clock Tuner: -------------------------- {Manual}
CPU Ratio Setting: ---------------------------- {7.5}
FSB Strap to north Bridge --------------------- {400}
DRAM Frequency ------------------------------ {AUTO}
DRAM Timing Control --------------------------- {Auto}
1st Information -------------------------------- 5-5-5-18-3-52-6-3
2nd Information -------------------------------- 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
3rd Information -------------------------------- 14-5-1-6-6
DRAM Static Read Control ---------------------- {Auto}
DRAM Read Timing ----------------------------- {Auto}
MEM Overclock Charger ------------------------ {Auto}
Ai Clock Twister -------------------------------------------- {Auto}
Ai Transaction Booster ------------------------- {Auto}
CPU Voltage ----------------------------------- {Auto}
CPU PLL Voltage ------------------------------- {Auto}
FSB Termination Voltage ----------------------- {Auto}
DRAM Voltage --------------------------------- {Auto}
NB Voltage ------------------------------------ {Auto}
SB Voltage ------------------------------------ {Auto}
PCIE Voltage ---------------------------------- {Auto}
Load line Calibration ---------------------------- {Auto}
CPU Spread Spectrum -------------------------- {Auto}
PCIE Spread Spectrum -------------------------- {Auto}
CPU Clock Skew -------------------------------- {Auto}
NB Clock Skew --------------------------------- {Auto}
CPU Margin ------------------------------------- {Optimized}

All I’ve changed so far is the first 3 settings. I’ve run it on prime for about half an hour and here are the results.

Few questions. I’ve read that you should first try and see how high you can take the North Bridge voltages before you touch the CPU vCore voltages. So where do I go from here?
Ben

kilo delta
October 20th, 2008, 06:01
Have a look at this link...... http://www.techimo.com/forum/processors-memory-overclocking/215810-overclocking-q9300-asus-p5q-pro.html . :wavey:

SirBenn21
October 20th, 2008, 14:44
Thanks

Will go though it.

Ben

SirBenn21
October 22nd, 2008, 01:12
Just a few Questions.

Do I see how far I can push the FSB till it locks, then start on the other settings like DRAM ratios and voltages?

Would the DRAM cause lock-ups before the CPU. Should I first change the ratio and then keep bumping up the FSB?

I've got the Multiplier at 7.5 and the FSB at 414, giving me 3.1 GHz without any other setting changes. I'm currently getting C1: 52C C2: 49C C3: 52C C4: 51C temps running Prime95 for the last 30mins.

Ben

kilo delta
October 22nd, 2008, 01:58
I don't think that you can push the chip much further on stock voltage. What are you using to read temperatures?...i'd recommend the latest version of Real Temp as it seems to work better with the 45nm chips.:)

SirBenn21
October 22nd, 2008, 02:31
I don't think that you can push the chip much further on stock voltage. What are you using to read temperatures?...i'd recommend the latest version of Real Temp as it seems to work better with the 45nm chips.:)

Hi kilo delta

As you can see I am using Real Temp. You will also notice that I've done the next jump to 3.2 GHz without any other ajustments so far. It's been only been tested for the last 15min on Prime95. I would image that I would have to bump up the voltages soon if I want to go higher. I'm a bit worried about my DRAM as the lowest DRAM FSB setting is 854 MHz and it's not performance RAM.

Anyway I'll run it though the night on Prime95 and see how it goes. :kilroy:
One good thing I can say is that PMDG 747-300 in KJFK (New York) with settings pretty high has gone from 9 FPS @ 2.5 to 18 FPS @ 3.0. :jump:
Haven't tried at the new setting. Will later tonight after it's had at least 1 hour on Prime.

Ben

txnetcop
October 22nd, 2008, 03:24
Sir Benn, I game at 3.8 on air, of course it will go much higher but there comes a place of diminishing returns with FSX. Don't know why, but I cannot tell the difference in FSX in gaming speed at 3.8 and 3.4. However at 3.8 I can raise the LOD Radius to 8.5 and maintain it and my distance scenery is awesome. I have ATI TRAY TOOLS and it prints on my screen the fps I am gaming at ...ooops flying at, and it stays right in the 40s on locked and goes as high as 150 unlocked. The game is smoother and more realistic locked at 45. I use an ATI HD4870 and have zero problems maintaining great scenery near and far, and as I said earlier, my LOD Radius stays at 8.5-which is amazing as it used to keep resetting itself to 4.5 and my distance scenery wasn't that great. In spite what some in other forums state, you can run will all your settings full right gaming at this higher mhz.

To maintain the higher bandwidth you will have to use 1066 or higher mhz memory as you can only raise the 800mhz memory so far before you start having probems. At 3.8 my DDR2 1200(PC29600) memory voltage is raised to 2.3 volts and runs at 5,5,5,12 sttings, and 1384mhz, my E8400 voltage is at 1.4v. The case I have is the Theramaltake ARMOR and with all the fans it keeps my temps low. I ran Prime95 and memtest86 for 24 hrs(now there is a real stress test) and have had zero problems. Use a quality memory for overclocking.

I also run my video card fan at a constant 4800rpms when gaming and it maintains a cool 58 degrees C. I use the Freezer 7 PRO Heatsink and FAN and turn off the control settings in the BIOS so that it runs at a constant 2800 rpms and REAL TEMP reports and BIOS agree that my CPU runs at 35 C idle and 44C gaming, which is very acceptable. I will get some screen shots to verify this later in the week.

I am going to repost an overclocking guide shortly. I am re-writing it as it was done by someone else some time back and does not take into account some of the newer technology.

For you Gigabyte motherboard guys Geoff and I rewrote an overclockers guide for the X38-X48 boards. These boards are very fast, very dependable and overclock very well for newbies. A correctly OC'd Gigabyte motherboard X48 will stomp an Nvidia 780i and 790i with the same peripherals. I will post these later in the week.

Sorry haven't been much help guys. Right now I am buried in real life stuff but I will do this by Saturday.
Ted

kilo delta
October 22nd, 2008, 05:34
A 700mhz increase is a pretty respectable overclock. It may do a little more with faster memory and a little voltage increase but keep a close eye on your temps.:)
790i board has proven to be a bit of an overclocking nightmare for me...would go X48 but for the fact that i'm running dual 9800GX2 cards:redf::banghead:

SirBenn21
October 23rd, 2008, 04:51
Hey! :jump:

I'm actually got to 3.3 GHz :cost1:

Only put the vCore to 1.28 volt and set FSB to 440 MHz.

One amazing thing is I haven't had 1 lock-up yet. My goal is to get to 3.4 GHz and stop. I'm also surprised that my Mem hasn't given problems yet.

Another question. Is it worth trying to OC your GPU?

Thanks

Ben

kilo delta
October 23rd, 2008, 06:21
Congrat's on your overclock!:ernae: ..just don't get carried away and get greedy:d
I generally don't bother overclocking my Graphic Cards although it is relatively easy. Download Rivatuner or Evga's Precision tool in order to overclock ....be sure to increase the card's fan speeds too. If your display suffers from artifacts/distortion, you need to ease off on the overclock.

Bjoern
October 23rd, 2008, 06:30
Another question. Is it worth trying to OC your GPU?

Yep. Gives you quite a small boost.

My 8800 has been running 100/200 Mhz over stock speeds ever since I bought it in 2006. No errors at all.

txnetcop
October 24th, 2008, 04:11
This what I game at and it is very stable in FSX, FS9, Silent Hunter, Medal of Honor Airborne, COD4, Brothers In Arms
Ted
Next week I will post an overclockers guide to X38-X48 Gigabyte boards