PDA

View Full Version : Effects Question - CFS2

pstrany
July 19th, 2009, 12:43
Hi;
I've got a bit of a problem. for some reason, in my CFS2, the engine fire small (fx_engfire_s.fx) and the engine smoke (fx_engsmoke.fx) are the same exact effect (a small "fire".) Did I get something messed up, or did MS mess it up?

Next, has anyone done a custom set of damage effects for jet engines? Also, is there a way to keep the fire effects from going out above a certain speed? I have attached the standard engine fire effect to a jet engine, but at the speeds the plane flies, the fire keeps going out. Is there a way to prevent this (aside from flying slower)?

Also, is there a way to have a custom engine start-up effect?

Appreciate any help.....

Paul

simonu
July 30th, 2009, 13:25
interesting questions Paul, I would be keen to know the answers to. You can find a link to the MS effects sdk for fs2002 on this page http://www.scenery.org/tutorials_fs2k2_SDK.htm (the cfs2 effects are much the same). Sorry I cant offer any more help at the moment. Good luck

edit.I just had a look at my default install of CFS2. the effects fx-engfire_s.fx and fx_engsmoke.fx are different, at least the parameters in the files are different...

in the header of the fx_engfire effects I see entries for Fire=1 and Fire Delay=5. The purpose of these entries is undocumented in the sdk mentioned above so I guess they are CFS2 specific, try playing with these and see what happens. I guess if you set Fire=0 CFS2 will treat the effect as a leak and so it then wont go out at speed but there may be other consequences so experiment.

fx_engstrt.fx is the default smoke puffs you dont want when starting a jet. I think it gets its position from the engine location data in the .air file or aircraft.cfg.

pstrany
August 2nd, 2009, 11:00
I've continued to play around with ll this stuff. There is so much that is undocumented, and trial-n-error is tedious and frustrating. There are some parameters I change that don't seem to do anything, then one additional change, and *POW!* the whole world goes tilt.

then of course there is the fact that now all my weapons racks have disappeared (little disconcerting to have a plane flying around with a bomb flying formation under the wing) and the fact that some changes just crash the whole shooting match, and I can't grasp the relationship between the various parameters and... well, you get the idea.

On the other hand, I'm starting to make some very rough progress, including a nice damage effect for light damage to a jet engine:
http://www.virtualwings.org/SCRN07.JPG
Compare with gun camera footage of 262 hits. The only thing I'm looking to do now is narrrow the stream a bit, which seems to be the relationship between a bunch of different parameters - I can turn it into a thin stream or a fat one, but getting it somewhere in the middle is turning into a challenge....

Paul