PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Test; E6B Flight Computer

Lionheart
July 17th, 2009, 22:52
Hey guys,

This is a test.

For those that do not know what an E6B Flight Computer is, its those strange looking slide rule gadges with the rotating, sliding disc and a ton of little graphs and slot openings on them for calculating everything from wind directions, air speeds, to fuel/weight calculations, fuel left, time to destination, etc....

In this test, we will calculate our heading we should fly to maintain our course, by calculating 'wind speed and its direction' and using that to figure out our heading to 'adjust' so that we are flying the actual 'true' course, (basically drift calculations).

Basics on the computer:
* Set the disc to the wind direction heading
* Move grommet (center metal bit) over one solid line, (doesnt matter which)
* Count mini lines as 2 knots each, count up from grommet amount of knots
* Make a small X with pencil on the airspeed of wind
* Rotate disc to show your aircraft heading (at top)
* Move 'pencil' X to be over your airspeed (background shows airspeeds, slide disc up or down until its over the airspeed you are travelling at)
* If the mark is to the right of the Grommet, its a positive, if to the left of the grommet, its a negative
* Count number of Knots (small mini lines) from center main line that the X is at
* Use 'that' to add or subtract to your heading. Example, if to the right of the Grommet, its 15 knots, then add (add) 15 degrees to your above Disc heading, rotate disc to adjust course

This is then your heaidng you should be flying to attain 'actual' heading by calculating and following wind drift.

Rules;
* You can only tackle these with the E6B Computer. No digital flight computers allowed.

Problem One;
Wind 20 knots from 300 degrees
Your airspeed; 145 Knots
Your Direction heading; 50 Deg
What should your heading be?

Problem Two;
Wind 15 knots from 40 degrees
Your airspeed; 120 Knots
Your Direction heading; 130 Deg

Problem Three;
Wind 15 knots from 230 degrees
Your airspeed; 160 Knots
Your Direction heading; 210 Deg

Problem Four;
Wind 30 knots from 270 degrees
Your airspeed; 145 Knots
Your Direction heading; 065 Deg

Lets see who can get all 4 correct. :d

(If my directions werent that good, go here for more information)
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Graphic-Flight-Computer-to-Find-Ground-Speed-and-True-Heading

Bill

Jen
July 18th, 2009, 00:43
assuming no variation, and no compas errors :icon_lol:

1: 42

2: 122

3: 212

4: 60

Jen

tigisfat
July 18th, 2009, 01:13
I've used a kneeboard-sized electronic while flying for the last five years. The old fashioned ones drive me NUTS!!

Lionheart
July 18th, 2009, 02:51
assuming no variation, and no compas errors :icon_lol:

1: 42

2: 122

3: 212

4: 60

Jen

Close enough Jen! My computer slides a little bit, so it can deviate by 1 degree. I had 043, 123, 214, and 060.

Those little computers are nice, but are pricey, and your batteries can fail in flight. They're still nice to have though. Any tools for Navigation are good to have.

Bill

FengZ
July 18th, 2009, 03:32
i remember using these during flight school...just so we know how to navigate in case of battery failure. I still carry it in my flight bag...

-feng

Jen
July 18th, 2009, 04:34
Close enough Jen! My computer slides a little bit, so it can deviate by 1 degree. I had 043, 123, 214, and 060.

Those little computers are nice, but are pricey, and your batteries can fail in flight. They're still nice to have though. Any tools for Navigation are good to have.

Bill

A good friend of mine is a Flight officer at a cargo boeing 767, and he still stubbornly insists on using his old logarithm computer with sliders.

And although they are laughing at him, he is usually faster than the onboard computer, and just as precise.:icon_lol:

Jen

TeaSea
July 18th, 2009, 05:30
I still carry one (nice shiny metal one I bought second hand). Partially as a back up, and partially because I've always liked instruments like this -- they are a functional work of art.

rpjkw
July 18th, 2009, 05:56
I don't fly any more, but I still have the one my Dad gave me on my 16th B'day. I also have the one he was issued way back in 1942 when he began USAAF flight training. That one, resides in a safe deposit box along with some other items that are priceless to me.

Just tried the problem and was very surprised at how rusty I am on the old E6B.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Bill.

Bob

cheezyflier
July 18th, 2009, 10:13
there is one in the reims cessna 150 in fs9, instead of a gps.

And although they are laughing at him, he is usually faster than the onboard computer, and just as precise.:icon_lol:

Jen

i love guys like that. every trade has them. they drive the FNGs up the wall.

srgalahad
July 18th, 2009, 16:03
Interesting that you should bring up the E6B Bill. In the most recent SOH 'racing event'
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17646
it was one of the few navigational tools allowed (NDBs, drift meters and luck were the others). For those who have one it was fun practice...
for those who don't there is one online (does the work but without the graphical, tactile pleasure)
http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

Speaking of which, any of you who like challenges that aren't all about going fast, this was a great event that involved more planning, thinking and aircraft knowledge than flat-out flying. Don't hesitate to join in when we run these (they are part of the ongoing series of tune-ups for the RTWR)

Rob

Lionheart
July 18th, 2009, 16:10
Interesting that you should bring up the E6B Bill. In the most recent SOH 'racing event'
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17646
it was one of the few navigational tools allowed (NDBs, drift meters and luck were the others). For those who have one it was fun practice...
for those who don't there is one online (does the work but without the graphical, tactile pleasure)

Speaking of which, any of you who like challenges that aren't all about going fast, this was a great event that involved more planning, thinking and aircraft knowledge than flat-out flying. Don't hesitate to join in when we run these (they are part of the ongoing series of tune-ups for the RTWR)

Rob

Thanks Rob,

That does make the calculations a bit faster. Though it is cool to try it in the real world computer.

Interesting to know about the RTWR. So I take it you guys cannot use GPS?

Bill
LHC

PRB
July 18th, 2009, 16:29
... Interesting to know about the RTWR. So I take it you guys cannot use GPS? ...

Correct. No GPS. You can use ADF nav stations, but not VOR.

I have a Sanderson SC-3B, like this:

http://public.beuth-hochschule.de/~hamann/sliderules/sanderfc.jpg

I've done the various calculations with this thing. Very ingenious device, but a bit confusing!

Donald Traill
July 18th, 2009, 19:11
There are several E6B emulators on the internet; I like this one because if you have a java capable browser there is absolutely nothing to download or install. I just go to windowed mode and this site for my A2A Boeing B377 Strat calculations!

Donald Traill

azflyboy
July 18th, 2009, 19:28
Having grown up in an era where pretty much everything is computerized, I'm always impressed by how capable an E6B really is.

I learned to use an E6B for my private pilot license, and I still use that same one for cross country flying, even in airplanes with $50,000 glass cockpit systems installed.

Panther_99FS
July 18th, 2009, 20:00
Ah the memories....
I had to use one of those for a class I had in high-school.... :d

n4gix
July 18th, 2009, 20:31
Although not flight related, I still use a sliderule on occasion... :bump:

PeteHam
July 18th, 2009, 20:38
I have two original Kane E6B Flight Computers plus an Aero Product version. Also a small plastic pocket sized circular one ( Jeppesen ? )

One of the Kane ones I've had since the mid 60's , added a lot of extra markings over the years.

Back in the early 80's I purchased an Jeppesen ProStar electronic computer and more recently I've picked up the CX-2 Pathfinder when the Prostar finally died. The Prostar was the best electronic one.

Out of all of them, I love the Kane .

Pete.

srgalahad
July 19th, 2009, 09:36
Thanks Rob,

Interesting to know about the RTWR. So I take it you guys cannot use GPS?

Bill
LHC
Bill in the actual RTWR GPS is allowed but not in the challenge referenced above. However, the skills are worth learning - who knows.. maybe the RTWR Committee may make rule changes some year :mixedsmi:

Besides, GPS and nav-connected autopilots DO take most of the challenge out of longer flights - kind of Ron Popiel flying - "just set it and forget it"

Rob

Gzr Green Bean
July 19th, 2009, 15:32
Yep, I still have the one I was issued in Pilot Training, and still use it in FS to ensure I can get to my sim destination with a legal 45 mins of IFR divert fuel. It works just fine even tho i have an electronic one form Sporty's.

GB

Wing_Z
July 19th, 2009, 15:56
Although not flight related, I still use a sliderule on occasion... :bump:
Yeah, me too!
I took that slidy thing off because it gets in the way, though.
Great for striking precision-edge lines for those smaller DIY jobs :d