PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, FSPanel Studio/Win7??

falcon409
July 17th, 2009, 18:52
Well, I've run into a curious problem with FSPS and I have to guess it has everything to do with the OS I'm running now (Windows7). Here are the things I'm having problems with:
1. If I try to open a cab file it says it can't find the cabarc.exe file
2. If I try to export a panel and give it the path and folder location it won't move any gauges because it says it can't find the path. It will copy the panel bitmap from the panel folder, but no gauges.

The cabarc thing I first thought might have been a problem related to not having an extract utility loaded (iZarc is what I have used for some time now). Since I just installed Win7 I didn't have that installed so I installed it, re-ran FSPS but with no change.

Any ideas on this one?:isadizzy:

harleyman
July 17th, 2009, 18:56
XP....

Seems like Win7 is giving you a fit..just as Vista 64 did before SP1....

falcon409
July 17th, 2009, 19:23
XP....Seems like Win7 is giving you a fit..just as Vista 64 did before SP1....
LOL, yep, XP is lookin' better all the time now. That backup I did would probably work fine in XP too Harleyman, lol.

Geeze, I need to start goin' back to church, lol.:icon34:

Bone
July 17th, 2009, 20:13
The software will wear you down hard.

daytonite_andy
July 18th, 2009, 00:26
I have Windows 7 (32 bit) and I'm running FS Panel Studio (build 20340) fine.

It also seems to work fine in normal and 'run as adminstrator 'settings (I've just tested it).

I can extract cab files without any problems. Have you tried extracting other gauges, such as the default ones? I'm wondering whether there is an issue with that particular cab file?

daytonite_andy
July 18th, 2009, 00:33
....Ok. I've just done a 'google'

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618

cabarc.exe is part of Microsoft Visual Basic Tools, I believe, and doesn't appear to be a part of FSPS.

Try downloading the latest Microsoft updates and see if that helps.

falcon409
July 18th, 2009, 06:29
yep downloaded already but there's no documentation I can find that tells me where the cabarc.exe file should reside so that it's found by programs that require it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I also ran a search on an older XP computer I have and that file isn't there either. Seems that FSPS has some issues with Windows7 for some reason.

falcon409
July 18th, 2009, 06:55
. . . . . . I can extract cab files without any problems. Have you tried extracting other gauges, such as the default ones? I'm wondering whether there is an issue with that particular cab file?
Any gauge not contained in a cab file works fine. . .if it's a cab file. . .it won't open.

UPDATE: I took every file contained in the download and dumped it into the "windows" directory. . . .cab files open fine now. . . .a problem still remains with exporting a panel though. If I point it to the desktop, it insists it can't find the path, although it does place both a gauge and panel folder on the desktop and imports the panel bitmap to the correct folder, it seems unable to get the necessary gauges to it's folder.

AckAck
July 18th, 2009, 07:20
yep downloaded already but there's no documentation I can find that tells me where the cabarc.exe file should reside so that it's found by programs that require it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I also ran a search on an older XP computer I have and that file isn't there either. Seems that FSPS has some issues with Windows7 for some reason.

When I downloaded it, I thought there were some instructions saying that it should be in the directory with the CAB file, in order for it to find it. Although to avoid doing that, I suppose you could add it anywhere and associate it to cab files.

Then again, I have XP, so WIn7 and Vista problems are unfamiliar to me... Maybe later this year I can upgrade my 7 year old computer and join the ranks of the truly frustrated.

Brian

falcon409
July 18th, 2009, 07:29
Still a bit frustrated with the export problem I'm having. The program seems perfectly capable of finding the gauges it needs when I'm setting up a panel, but I go to export those gauges to another folder and suddenly it doesn't seem to know where to go, lol.

n4gix
July 18th, 2009, 07:35
I see at least two problems in the above screenshot of the error:

1. What's up with the gauge name? Those expanded ASCII characters are nonsense...
2. There's a format error in the export path. Two backslashes following C:??? That's invalid.

I've never used the "Export" from FSPS during my decade+ of using it, preferring to manage such things manually.

falcon409
July 18th, 2009, 07:45
. . . . I've never used the "Export" from FSPS during my decade+ of using it, preferring to manage such things manually.
. . .and until I decided to screw with my setup (load Win7) export has worked fine every time.
Letting the export process pull them for you when you have a large panel beats the heck out of going down a list of hundreds of gauges searching out the ones you need manually. However, that appears to be what I am stuck with now.

falcon409
July 18th, 2009, 08:08
Not that this should have been a problem, but I did notice while going through the gauge files that every one of the gauges I'm using in this panel is a newer dll gauge file and probably part of the reason "export" is having a problem finding it.
I'm just going to zip the panel bitmap and cfg file and make it available to those who want it. It's an FSX aircraft and anyone using this panel will most likely have these files anyway as they're basic default aircraft gauges.