PDA

View Full Version : Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America," dies at 92

hey_moe
July 17th, 2009, 16:42
NEW YORK - A CBS executive says retired CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America," has died at his home in New York. He was 92.

CBS vice president Linda Mason says Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. after a long illness with his family by his side.

He was the face of CBS News from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the Kennedy assassination to Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis. <!-- sphereit end -->

N2056
July 17th, 2009, 17:44
Wow.

I grew up listening to & watching him report on many significant events. I think he really was great on the space flight stuff. You could tell that he was really into it.

An awesome man...he will be missed

aeromed202
July 17th, 2009, 17:46
I grew up listening to that voice. I saw the trust and confidence my parents had for him in their faces as we heard so many news stories over the years.

"And that's the way it is..." Good job Mr. Cronkite, we'll miss you.

paiken
July 17th, 2009, 18:19
One of my personal hero's. He will truly be missed:engel016:

Quicksand
July 17th, 2009, 18:20
Rest in peace, Walter. :medals:

Toastmaker
July 17th, 2009, 18:24
Have a good journey, sir, and thanks for responsible reporting.

:ernae:

lifejogger
July 17th, 2009, 19:11
He was a great newsman, I enjoyed listening to him while I was growing up. Another legend dies and in his own words "That's the way it is".

MyassisDragon
July 17th, 2009, 22:12
Sadly, the end of an era when news was more than ill-informed opinion, bombast, sensationalism and trivia. My condolences and deepest respect to a old-school newsman.

TomSteber
July 18th, 2009, 03:00
I didn't pay much attention to the news back then, but I always remember him being on.
My real one true memory of him that sticks out was him reporting of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I was young and remember thinking, "that doesn't happen anymore, does it?".

Snuffy
July 18th, 2009, 03:36
An American Icon to be sure ...

I remember sitting around the ol black and white 13 incher and watching Walter ...

That was a time when the media was truly unbiased and reported the facts.

You and your kind are and will be missed greatly Walter.

Thanks for your service.

Rest well.

:engel016:

Quicksand
July 18th, 2009, 06:31
If my feeble mind remembers correctly, during WW2, Walter rode a glider into Normandy during Overlord. I read an account he gave of the experience years ago.:medals:

cheezyflier
July 18th, 2009, 10:05
My real one true memory of him that sticks out was him reporting of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I was young and remember thinking, "that doesn't happen anymore, does it?".

that's a really interesting story, even if you don't like gordon lightfoot

brad kaste
July 18th, 2009, 10:52
Walter Conkrite had also moderated two TV shows. "You Were There" and my favorite,'Airpower.' I couldn't wait until Sunday evening rolled around so I could chomp on popcorn,...drink cocoa,...and watch "Airpower" on the 12" black and white RCA TV. Those were the days..............

TomSteber
July 18th, 2009, 12:57
that's a really interesting story, even if you don't like gordon lightfoot

There was a Great documentary on PBS or History on it. And I do like G.L. :icon_lol:

Pauke! Pauke!
July 18th, 2009, 14:51
If my feeble mind remembers correctly, during WW2, Walter rode a glider into Normandy during Overlord. I read an account he gave of the experience years ago.:medals:

This is a paragraph from UPI.com. He was a war correspondent for them during WWII.

In 1937, he joined United Press and in 1942 became a war correspondent for the wire service, covering the battle of the North Atlantic, the invasion by Allied troops in North Africa and the Normandy beachhead assaults. Cronkite was with the 101st Airborne Division as it parachuted into Holland and with the U.S. Third Army in the Battle of the Bulge when it broke through the German encirclement at Bastogne in December 1944.

Look for his papers being published or a biography based on his papers.

sj9iVnVQsFc

Silver Fox
July 18th, 2009, 20:39
I've thought all day what to say about the passing of such a man... All I can say is that in days gone by such an event would have required the likes of Walter Cronkite to announce to the world.