PDA

View Full Version : Islander?

Gdavis101
July 17th, 2009, 15:45
What ever happened to the Islander from Alphasim? Anyone know?

falcon409
July 17th, 2009, 15:57
Ya know, it seems like around the time the Albatross was almost ready for release they posted a short update that said basically, not to worry that the Islander was coming along and they would have some more info shortly. . . .now I don't see that anywhere and there's no other mention of it that I can tell. Kinda gives the impression of a project that is no more, although I also thought at one point that they were very close to release.

peter12213
July 17th, 2009, 17:33
It was rediculouys why did they post that then never release it its nutts I think!

VFR Alexander
July 17th, 2009, 17:35
Maybe something happened and it caused a change of plans. :kilroy:

Lionheart
July 17th, 2009, 17:59

Thats what I am thinking.

Cessna did this with a couple of groups. This might be happening as well with the Islander.

Man, its one awesome model. It looks like (appears) to have been done months ago, so I am sure they are having a problem somewhere with it, waiting to release it.

I can hardly wait. Looks like a great plane for my hanger..

Bill

Gdavis101
July 17th, 2009, 22:15
I have been anxiously waiting, just seemed strange that there was no more talk of it.

Kiwikat
July 18th, 2009, 00:16
I have been anxiously waiting, just seemed strange that there was no more talk of it.

Watch this space: http://simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29913

I believe this one will be boxed by Flight1 like the Hunter and B-24 were (that's why theres talk about it on simforums). Could have changed since I was on the project though... I don't know nuthin' anymore :kilroy:

bushpilot
July 18th, 2009, 00:54
This has been on my "most awaited"-list for a long time. It just seems to be vanished from the face of the Earth completely. No mention in Alphasim site anymore. Wasn't this originally started as Aerosoft project?

Kiwikat
July 18th, 2009, 01:04
Wasn't this originally started as Aerosoft project?

NO. It is Alphasim's.

tigisfat
July 18th, 2009, 01:04

I'm no insider, but knowing what I know about their company, this is the most likely story. It's happened before and it'll happen again. I didn't think the islander would end up that way, but it looks as if it has gone the way of the C-17. Both may very well end up being released someday because of their completion level, but the odds are pretty slim.

Kiwikat
July 18th, 2009, 01:07
I'm no insider, but knowing what I know about their company, this is the most likely story. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Most of you know that Dan was working on the Islander. Most of you know Dan isn't with Alphasim anymore. Put the two together...

I'm not an insider (anymore) either, so I don't know what is going on. I DO know someone posted screenshots of it on the flight1 forum.

tigisfat
July 18th, 2009, 01:11
Most of you know that Dan was working on the Islander. Most of you know Dan isn't with Alphasim anymore. Put the two together...

I'm not an insider (anymore) either, so I don't know what is going on. I DO know someone posted screenshots of it on the flight1 forum.

I think Dan said he was still going to complete the Islander project, but I'm not sure.

bushpilot
July 18th, 2009, 01:32
NO. It is Alphasim's.

I seem to remember there was discussion about their Islander project in Aerosoft forums, and also some rant about the modeler hopping to someone else's wagon. Hmmm.. maybe it was another Islander project then.

Kiwikat
July 18th, 2009, 03:31
I seem to remember there was discussion about their Islander project in Aerosoft forums, and also some rant about the modeler hopping to someone else's wagon. Hmmm.. maybe it was another Islander project then.

Aerosoft was planning to do an Islander at some point. However, no part of Alphasim's is from the Aerosoft project. The external model came from an internal source as did the VC and textures.

bushpilot
July 18th, 2009, 03:40
Ok thanks for clearing up that mystery for me:jump:. Anyways, still hope this project will see the light of day sooner or later:engel016:

michael davies
July 18th, 2009, 03:57
Aerosoft were going to do a Islander and I understand the agreed modeller was Dan D, they parted ways and Dan took the Islander with him, Aerosoft got upset but to no avail.

d0mokun
July 18th, 2009, 04:15
Hi chaps,

To set it straight.

Aerosoft were going to do an Islander, I was going to model it. I didn't. The last time this popped up a lot of inaccurate accusations were thrown around by those not aware of the situation- and by those in the know!

I did not take any Islander to AS- the AlphaSim Islander was modelled by Phil. Mapped and painted by myself, when I worked at AS. The VC modelling was also done by me.

I no longer do though when I left, I was happy to continue it. For reasons that have no place on this forum, I am no longer continuing work on the Islander. Instead the source was packed up on DVD and sent back to AS.

The Islander was scheduled to be a Flight1 release. That's all I know now and all I'm going to say regarding this subject. Speculate, argue, whatever- I've said my part.

ATB
Dan.

michael davies
July 18th, 2009, 04:29
Dan,

My apologies, I though the Islander mesh was yours, it didn't look like the 'standard' Alphasim meshes of the time so to speak :).

d0mokun
July 18th, 2009, 04:42
Hi Michael,

No problems. Maybe the time spent on internal politics at AS should be spent on decent meshes like the BN2. Everyone would benefit then.

:ernae:

michael davies
July 18th, 2009, 04:49
Luckily I've been free of that for four years, maybe more ?, but I know what you mean. By definition, politics are the remit of a democracy, as has been stated many times before, AS is not a democracy, sadly.

Hi Michael,

No problems. Maybe the time spent on internal politics at AS should be spent on decent meshes like the BN2. Everyone would benefit then.

:ernae:

Cag40Navy
July 18th, 2009, 08:02
hey dan, is the C-17 still in the works because it seeing little crack every now and then. it would be great to know.

Rezabrya
July 18th, 2009, 08:20
Dan will not be able to... and prolly wouldn't if he could, tell you if the C-17 was still progressing. Dan is not with Alphasim anymore so your question would be better answered by an Alphasim employee. Although it might be better just to not ask anyway. It is coming and will be released when it's ready. I can't imagine how sick developers get of people asking WHEN WHEN WHEN!? :running:

d0mokun
July 18th, 2009, 08:49
Indeed chaps, I only know as much as you all do- I am part and parcel with the public as far as AS is concerned. I really doubt I'll get to know any insider stuff any time soon!

But as far as I know and in my opinion (based on what I see from both sides of the fence, ie public and dev), yes, it's in development still.

BR
Dan.

Cag40Navy
July 18th, 2009, 09:14
Thanks dan

@ Raptor - All i was asking is if was still in development

Lionheart
July 18th, 2009, 10:59
Thanks Dan.

Hopefully it will be out soon.

I hope you get into an awesome group and that they focus on the fun things like making planes.

:d

Bill

JoeW
July 18th, 2009, 11:56
Maybe they found a "plateau" and can't get rid of it.
:kilroy::icon_lol: