PDA

View Full Version : Tsili Tsili Aerodrome Is Final

dvslats
July 17th, 2009, 06:04
Had to get this uploaded so I would quit changing things. In my books this is ver 8.2 :icon_lol:

The base is modeled after maps and documents as it appeared on its completion in 1943. When the real strip was built, everything needed to accomplish the building of the base had to be flown in. No roads or rivers came from allied territory to its location. C-47's were the workhorses to get things in. With this in mind, I can see why, for such a large complex, things were spartan to say the least. Tsili Tsili really was in the middle of nowhere.
Planes that Tsili was home for included:
Boomerang
Wirraway
Vultee Vengeance
P-38
P-39
P-40
C-47

The 2nd picture below of a Vultee Vengeance is in one of the dispersal areas from this airstrip. Gives you the feel of what conditions here were actually like.
Enjoy, Dvslats

Rami
July 17th, 2009, 06:25
Thank you for all of your hard work, it looks great!

R C CAWTE
July 17th, 2009, 07:18
Nice to see some more Aussie bases.Anything used by Boomerangs and Wirraways is great by me.

The_Editor
July 17th, 2009, 08:07
Looks great :ernae:

Captain Kurt
July 17th, 2009, 15:49
Very good. Keep up the good work.

miamieagle
July 17th, 2009, 19:50
It sure looks good.

Thank you!:ernae:

egypt23spitfire
July 17th, 2009, 23:58
.............:ernae:beautiful blending DVS:ernae:
............happy to include in my scenery:applause:
................thank you:icon29:

dvslats
July 18th, 2009, 01:32
I appreciate all of your replies fellow CFS2'ers.
My hope was to finally share something of substance to this exceptional community. Hope yu'all have as much fun with it as I did making it.

Cheers, Dv

Ravenna
July 18th, 2009, 05:21
Looks great DV...I can't wait to try it! Well done.:applause::applause::applause:

merlin2
July 18th, 2009, 09:16
WOW; I love the look of that airfield. Congrats!

merlin2

erufle
July 19th, 2009, 04:48
Now I need a campaign to fly the Aussie planes in and out of the base. Any takers?

Wulf190
July 19th, 2009, 16:38
I love this! But is there anyway to get the old Tsili Tsili out of the airfield selection? Much like Port Morsbey, if you select the stock Tsili Tsili it sets you where the stock strip used to be. Just wondering if I can remove the stock Tsili Tsili, and Port Morsby selections.

dvslats
July 19th, 2009, 18:32
I love this! But is there anyway to get the old Tsili Tsili out of the airfield selection? Much like Port Morsbey, if you select the stock Tsili Tsili it sets you where the stock strip used to be. Just wondering if I can remove the stock Tsili Tsili, and Port Morsby selections.

Hiya Wulf190, I was thinking about the same thing. The only way to accomplish that is to do a hack on the cfs2afd.bgl, something I'm not sure is possible. Been searching around, and have not been able to find any information as to how or if this could be done. Maybe one of the more experienced scenery designers have an answer to this. :ques:

MaskRider
July 19th, 2009, 19:21
I am pretty sure I tried this one time and the results were less than impressive. Seems that it led to more problems than it was worth but I do not recall just what it was that made me choose not to continue with the experiment.

If you haven't already- name your Tsili-Tsili so that it comes up in the list somewhere away from the stock one. Give it a name like PNG Tsili-Tsili. That will at least remove it from the the same neighborhood.

Way to go dvslats!
Chris

PS- it might be possible- I never tried this- to simply edit the name of the stock Tsili-Tsili so that it drops to the end of the list. Not ideal. But another way to skin the cat. Change its name to ztsili-tsili.
I think removing a name from the file in question is what hoses things up.

Wulf190
July 19th, 2009, 19:38
Sounds like its more trouble then its worth. CFS2 already crashes on me enough as it is. (Not real idea why) I don't want to give it any more reasons too.

Shadow Wolf 07
July 19th, 2009, 20:25
Got it... thanks! :jump: :icon29:

dvslats
July 20th, 2009, 00:16
I kind of figured if no one had done this by now there must have been a good reason Mask. The cfs2afd file.

PS- it might be possible- I never tried this- to simply edit the name of the stock Tsili-Tsili so that it drops to the end of the list. Not ideal. But another way to skin the cat. Change its name to ztsili-tsili.
I think removing a name from the file in question is what hoses things up.

I've already named the stock entry to Whuduya Nuts. Keeps me from accidentally clicking it from the Mission Builder. :icon_lol:

Ghostrider
July 21st, 2009, 18:06
Beautiful job, DV!

bobhegf
July 21st, 2009, 19:53
The location of the airfield is easy to fix.It is located in the airbase data file in your info folder.All you have to do is change the lon. and lat. to where the new field is and you are there.This is the way I set up all my airbase data entries. I found that if you lay the mouse on the X it shows the title of the airfield such as Tisili Tisili.I us a code in the title so that when I do this I not only have the name of the airfield but the heading and the runway number in the airdase data file. This way if I am having problems or want to change or correct something I have all the info so that I can go right to the entery.Now you don`t in this case want to move Tisili Tisili from it`s current location in the airbase data file because you would have to renumber all of the enteries after Tisili Tisili.BEFORE YOU START ZIP UP A CLEAN COPY OF YOU AIRBASE DATA FILE. This is the way I would title Tisili Tisili,(Tisili Tisili-41-74). The 41 is the heading and the 74 is the number of the airbase data entery in your airbase data file.If you are instered I can also tell you how to get the AI to land and takeoff in the same direction.

dvslats
July 22nd, 2009, 02:04
Thanks for the good word Ghostrider. :)

Hiya Bob, That's a great method of keeping your airbase file organized. Someday I'll be that orderly. :kilroy: Renumbering all of those are not my favorite pastime. :isadizzy:
As far as the Ai landings go, I have never had much luck with that, except for the stockers. I've been using Jagd's method of having them circle while I bring myself in. The location of this field might prove even more difficult because one end of each runway faces hilly terrain. As we have seen in the past, Ai's have a terrible time negotiating that. But for a flatter strip in a more open area...what do you do?

bobhegf
July 22nd, 2009, 03:28
dvslats, This is what my airbase data file looks like.
1.Name= is what ever the name of the base is in this case it is a seaplane base.Now the T stands for takeoff the 1 stands for the 1st entery in the airbase data file for that runway and heading.I usually have from 2 to three airbase data entries for each end of the runway I am using and that would be the 1st entery. The next number is 197 which is the heading for this entery and the next number is 144 which is the runway number.

Now, this ididn`t cover in the pic but I will here,(units_across=1).The reason for this is because I will have two enteries side by side on one end of the runway.If you are looking down on the runwayin the mission builder it would look something Like this X X .See the second pic and you will see what I am talking about.With two sets of aircraft takingoff you can get 16 AC AI off at the same time or if you are leading a group you can takeoff and still have 15 AC AI + the player going at once.If you notice the next pic you will see what I was talking about and the reason I code them the way I do.

2.takeoff_start_pos=000,0 This tells the sim where to place the aircraft player or player and his flight or the Ai ACand or its flight which is ontop of the X.You or the AI AC will end up just behind the X.
2A. is the takeoff_stop_pos= 1600,100.This just tell the AI when the the takeoff part of the flight is over and start toward waypoint #2.

3.Landing_start_pos=-4000,450 Thie is key to getting the AI to land in the same direction they tookoff in.By using a - infront of the 4000,450 you are telling the AI to start there landing behind the X.

4.landing_touchdown_pos=-000,0 This tells the AI to land just behind the X.

5.landing_stop_pos=-250,0 This tells the AI how far to go before they start to stop.

dvslats
July 28th, 2009, 00:34
That's a kool piece of info on modding the entries Bobhegf! Especially the part on getting sixteen of the Ai's on the take off run. So when the units across = 1, the Ai are lined up single file behind the lead aircraft. Nice! I have to give this a shot to see how it goes on my end.
Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out...explanation and pictures. :ernae:

bobhegf
July 28th, 2009, 02:22
I am glad to see you are going to try it. Let us know how it turns out.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 10th, 2009, 10:16
Can't find all the parts on the readme... I may already have them. Anyone know the actual filenames, not the links? I have the ones by Pen32 and LW.

dvslats
August 10th, 2009, 23:16
Hiya Shadow,
Besides Pen's stuff and LW's, the only other two I can think of are gary20's gsl package and Xavier's piers IIRC correctly. I'm not at my home computer, but will be by Thursday. If these don't take care of the problem I'll list all of the filenames then, or if the D/L becomes available, maybe sooner.
SeeYa, Dv

kelticheart
August 11th, 2009, 08:51
Hi Dvslats,

although I haven't been able to download your scenery just yet, since the link in "Latest CFS uploads" is still down, I have a question which is mostly directed at Mask Rider.

Back to the stock Tsili-Tsili and the new one being displayed together issue:

MR, if I am correct, you were able to replace the stock entry for Guadalcanal-Henderson Field in your Solomons package, in order to have your Henderson scenery displayed in place of the stock one.

Can't the same tecnique be applied to this case as well?

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bobhegf
August 11th, 2009, 09:12
I just thought I would show everyone what 16 planes look like taking off. The nice part is they don`t collide with each other eather if it is set up right.I am not trying to highjack the post but just thought I would show what can be done with a corrected airbase data file.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 11th, 2009, 12:24
DV: I think I got them all by posting the links onto a seperate page. As I suspected I had all the ones by Pen32 and LW... Thanks. :icon29:

dvslats
August 14th, 2009, 07:35
Ok, back at home. (its nice to be home) I put together a list of the file names for those that may find it easier to locate them this way.

af_cstdef_pak.zip (Pen32win) or (AF=Midway)

af_cstdef2.zip (Pen32win) or (AF=Midway)

AF_BnkrPak.zip (Pen32win) or (AF=Midway)

af_afldblgd1.zip (Pen32win) or (AF=Midway)

GSL_RAF_Buildings.zip (gary20)

LDW_Trees.zip (leroy10)

lw_library_objects_wfixed_buildingsbgl.zip (leroy10 @ Maskrider's webpage)

cfs2piers.zip (Xavierb2)

Dv

Blue Devil
August 15th, 2009, 09:26
Is it me, ...or is the D/L Que still OTR for this offering...?

Ettico
August 16th, 2009, 21:51
Thanks for the good word Ghostrider. :)

Hiya Bob, That's a great method of keeping your airbase file organized. Someday I'll be that orderly. :kilroy: Renumbering all of those are not my favorite pastime. :isadizzy:
As far as the Ai landings go, I have never had much luck with that, except for the stockers. I've been using Jagd's method of having them circle while I bring myself in. The location of this field might prove even more difficult because one end of each runway faces hilly terrain. As we have seen in the past, Ai's have a terrible time negotiating that. But for a flatter strip in a more open area...what do you do?

Hi dvslats,

Just a tip about AI landings. I've found that letting the AI land first is a good idea. The AI will land with or without you in front of them if the mission calls for your flight to land.

However, if the mission does not call for the AI to land, they will circle at low altitude after you touch down, and then they will crack up if you don't end the mission right away. If they're circling, it's just a matter of time until they crack up.

In addition to being pathetic at dealing with troublesome terrain, the AI are also pathetic at not running over you if you try to land in front of them. That's why I started letting them land first. Then I noticed that they didn't seem to crack up nearly as much that way. I guess the AI has it's own way of landing, and the human just gets in the way and distracts it.

AI crackups on landing have become a rarity in my version of the sim. Exactly how this came about, I don't exactly recall. It has something to do with the aircraft center of gravity and landing gear contact points in the "aircraft.cfg" file - the kind of stuff Dirtman knows all about. Anyhow, the AI can land OK if the aircraft is set up correctly for them. If you're not in front of them.

dvslats
August 18th, 2009, 00:11
Yeah Ettico, I know what you mean by being in front. No mercy. :icon_lol: Sometimes it's a good chuckle watching the ai land in front of you and they go off skidding into the sunset on their prop spinner. :icon_eek: Artificial...yes. Intelligent?...sometimes.
I have a ton of notes from posts in these forums for the cures to these things, just never seemed to take the time to apply em. So many things in this ol' sim that can be tinkered with...I guess that's why it never gets dull. :ernae:

bobhegf
August 18th, 2009, 00:33
Fellows if you will set up your airbase data files the way I suggested and use the stock AI aircraft you won`t have that problem.You will even be able to land in formation with the AI.

dvslats
August 18th, 2009, 11:55
Hi Bob, I'm working on it...my computer was out of commission for a while, but now things seem to be hunkey dorey. :gameon:

bobhegf
August 19th, 2009, 01:26
dvslats, I think you will like what you see and once you get use to using them you won`t go back. Not only can you controll more or less the gen. area where the AI park after they land but you can also adjust the altitude and distance of the landing patern they use by adjusting the lower numbers in that airbase data file.