PDA

View Full Version : What do I need besides a miracle

aeromed202
July 16th, 2009, 15:10
Ok, a while back I broke down and got FSX and loaded it up. It looked like crap, p*ss poor fps, grainy textures, what was all the hype about! Even tried all the tweaks, low file size clouds, etc. So out it came, as it noticably made other things go slower.
I then finally got a long overdue better graphics card, worked throught some problems associated with that, and got FS9 to look better than ever. I may be ready to try FSX again but...
So my question to all those who post FSX pics with crisp textures and a claimed smoothness better than a real life, what's the deal? Is it my hardware (see below)? Do I just need to be persistent with adjustments? FS9 looks great now so I don't want to upset that cart with the install. Otherwise FS-hex would make a dandy table leveler.

PS: sorry if this double posted

spotlope
July 16th, 2009, 15:13
Didn't I see this question in another thread just down the page a little? What Harleyman said is spot-on. Your biggest bottleneck is hardware--specifically your CPU. FSX demands a fast CPU in order to run well, and yours is, let's face it, a little long in the tooth. You might be able to get it running and looking passable, but you'll never get really excellent performance from FSX until you upgrade your system a bit.

aeromed202
July 16th, 2009, 16:32
Thanks Bill. I know I was a bit harsh but it made me feel a little better to vent. I'll look for the thread you refer to but do you have any recommendations for a lower priced CPU? I have a local comp place that is happy to work with me as long as I seem competent on the topic.

N2056
July 16th, 2009, 16:46
I would strongly recommend that you consult with Harlyman & Txnetcop in regards to what components play well together in the FSX world. I did just that, and based on their input (and my ability to "roll my own") I have a rig that runs FSX quite well. My total cost was just under $600 including shipping thru Newegg, and I have been very happy so far. :jump:

These guys know what they are talking about, and if you want they can do the 'dirty work' for you ;)

txnetcop
July 16th, 2009, 16:56
Another thing you can do is trade in that 9400GT for a better video card. That card your toting is only a little bit better than onboard video. Since it seems you prefer Nvidia consider a 9800GTX or GTX260 neither are very expensive.
If you prefer AMD the new quad core Phenom II are a great buy. If you get the 920 or 940 you can still use the cheaper AM2plus motherboards
Ted

spotlope
July 16th, 2009, 16:57
Amen to that. They're some knowledgeable fellas. I just do what I'm told when it comes to system building... they actually do the telling. :engel016:

harleyman
July 16th, 2009, 17:08
Thanks Bill. I know I was a bit harsh but it made me feel a little better to vent. I'll look for the thread you refer to but do you have any recommendations for a lower priced CPU? I have a local comp place that is happy to work with me as long as I seem competent on the topic.

We would need to know your exazt motherboard make and model to provide that info..Then it would more than likely have a locked bios so you could not do any OCing to get a decent chip(inexpensive) to run even better..

You can get a killer Gigabyte M31 for like 55 bucks ...Then build off that...You would also need your own OS, as the one provided by E machines is full of bloatware and all the wrong drivers

Earlier I said your vid card was not to bad..i read it wrong and thought you has the 9600..Not the 9400 wich is the very low end of the 9 series...

aeromed202
July 16th, 2009, 17:48
Geez I just got that card, it was the best I could afford. And truthfully everyone I asked had a different "this is the one you want" or " what is your system? Oh then that is what you should get". Maybe I can still exchange it with a bit more money kicked in, and I'm not exactly stuck on Nvidia, I'll try whatever works. But as a techie I once worked with observed, when you ask someone what computer should you get, the answer is usually what the teller's ideal is, not necessarily what you could be happy with. This thread is proof of that. So far it is my CPU, video card, MB, or anything else that needs help. I really do appreciate all the input here and the problem is really that I don't know what to fix first, even if I had the money. All these things have to dove-tail and there are always weak links. Fix those and you will be left with another and another.
I know I'll get this licked eventually, but for the near future finances rule all. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming as I am taking notes. If I hit the lottery I'll either buy a plane or get a kick a** system, maybe both:applause:

harleyman
July 16th, 2009, 17:52
Depending as to where you live (USA) you have a 30 day no questions asked return policy..Tell them its horrible and they should be shot for selling it to you...LOL

That being said...If you want a good build for FSX..Don't ask a teckie..Most know squat about FSX and its needs..Ask a flight simmer that knows computers..Then you will get the real answer.....:ernae:

txnetcop
July 16th, 2009, 18:04
Depending as to where you live (USA) you have a 30 day no questions asked return policy..Tell them its horrible and they should be shot for selling it to you...LOL

That being said...If you want a good build for FSX..Don't ask a teckie..Most know squat about FSX and its needs..Ask a flight simmer that knows computers..Then you will get the real answer.....:ernae:

Yep it's true most techies don't fly FSX or FS9. What model is your EMachine?
Ted

harleyman
July 16th, 2009, 18:09
Yep it's true most techies don't fly FSX or FS9. What model is your EMachine?
Ted

Its this one Txnetcop.....

e-machines T6426
AMD Athlon 64 processor
3400+
2.21GHz, 3.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GEForce 9400 GT

aeromed202
July 16th, 2009, 18:27
You guys are awsome. The techie was/is a pretty cool guy and his comment was more of a comment on human nature. He indeed knew squat about FS but the conversation at that time revolved around what comp to buy in general. He told me to get thus and such which he later admitted I didn't need but was in fact what he was pricing out at the time. Last I heard he works for a PD in CA doing forensics.
Anyway, I'll update my specs after I dig out some boxes and manuals. As for answers from simmers I assume this would be the place.

harleyman
July 16th, 2009, 18:44
YUP...This would be the place where you will get real answers...Not wishful thinking ...:kilroy:

txnetcop
July 16th, 2009, 19:02
OK you are dealing with an NForce 410 lite motherboard chipset that uses DDR PC3200 SDRAM memory. Not much you can do here and with the small amount of amperage that PSU puts out I would not try to go any higher than the 9400GT you have. Not many options on E-Machine Amigo. It shows that the PCI-e slot is not PCI-E 16x and if true that would make for some pretty poor texturing. Sorry
Ted

peter12213
July 17th, 2009, 11:18
its just getting used to fsx settings theres so many things you can do to improve frame rates!

aeromed202
July 17th, 2009, 16:55
Ok the original MB died last year and what got put in is:

WinFast 6150K8MD-8EKRSH
Based on Geforce 6150+ nForce 430 chipset
Support AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 Processor
Support DDR400/333/266MHz Memory
Support PCIe x16

Using I assume the original CPU, plus a PS upgrade to I think 350.

Thats all on the box. I know next to nothing about what it all means so any kind person wants to explain, there is a virtual :ernae: in it for ya.

harleyman
July 17th, 2009, 17:12
I hate to be the bearer of bad news..

This is your stopper.....Support DDR400/333/266MHz Memory

All the systems I build for me or customers get memory speeds of 1066 or 1600...Yours will only take 266

Your top ram accepted will never hold up to FSX..Barely to FS9 .....

aeromed202
July 18th, 2009, 07:56
So is this part of the MB? If I were to improve it to your specs would that require another component to be improved also?

harleyman
July 18th, 2009, 08:52
Yes...thats the fastest speed your motherboard will run memory at...its a real killer for FSX too..Not fast enough...

The only way to overcome that is to get a new motherboard ..That will mean new memory too..And more than likely a new CPU..

aeromed202
July 18th, 2009, 16:36
Well if thats what needs to happen I'll have to budget for it and shop for a while. More than likely it would be done at a local comp shop. Except for doing a drive or vid card I don't think I want to try an MB or CPU. What exactly would I be asking them for?

harleyman
July 18th, 2009, 18:14
The first thing you need a shop to find out for you is if your E machine case will hold another motherboard..As in are there places that will allow the screw pattern of a new MoBo line up and fit....

Here are my CHEAP Picks...Only cheap in cost though..But the CPU neede Overclocked to really run FSX...The mobo will take any socket 775 intell chip though...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148212

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

And a card like this one is awsome too....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129129

And..Its almost new..Might as well get a cool looking new case too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156223