PDA

View Full Version : MAPE FSHost server is having problems

Moparmike
July 16th, 2009, 08:18
Just a headsup to to you guys using my FSHost server that I'm having some trouble with the machine after a recent lightning storm.

The on-board vid got fried and I can't see to access anything "Winders" on that machine via the desktop. It's still running and I can access the FSHost remote page but I'll be taking it off the air for a while when I get a new vid-card installed. Arrrrgh!!!

MM
July 16th, 2009, 11:26
Mike,

Your server has brought great joy to many of the group--you've helped create and sustain a real community. So it is sad to hear of the lightning storm.

Thanks so very much for hosting all of us in the past. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Best,
Mike

Willy
July 16th, 2009, 16:35
Very bad news. We've been planning on our next group flight once this race is out of the way.

jkcook28
July 16th, 2009, 16:47
You guys are all welcome over on Dave's server until Mike gets back up and running.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=14021

Maybe see ya there.

Moparmike
July 17th, 2009, 06:25
Thanks for the compliments guys!

For now, the server is still running just fine...I just can't see anything. DOH!
I've got a new vid card sitting here, I just need to figure out how to fit a full-size card in a "mini" case. Let the "Dr. Frankenstein" case mods begin! :d

Real glad that someone pointed out that FSHost auto-restart batch file. I've got that in the Winders Startup folder and even if the rig reboots itself FSHost will automatically fire up.

The stinker of the deal is that I've got that machine on a UPS/surge-protector (after losing my previous server rig to lightning last summer) but it still got slightly fried anyway.

srgalahad
July 17th, 2009, 10:45
Thanks for the compliments guys!

For now, the server is still running just fine...I just can't see anything. DOH!

The stinker of the deal is that I've got that machine on a UPS/surge-protector (after losing my previous server rig to lightning last summer) but it still got slightly fried anyway.

Just a reminder... most UPS suppliers include insurance against damage caused to a connected system. May be a ton of hoops to jump through, but grab the paperwork and follow it up. Any recovery is a help.

Moparmike
July 17th, 2009, 14:17
Well...it's more than just the on-board vid. New card does the same as the on-board...I'm thinking power supply, but most of my parts stash is back at the farm so I'll need to do another parts run.

Rob, thanks for the reminder. Yup, both the surge protector covering the monitor (actually my 42" LCD TV) and the UPS that the comp is on do offer coverage. Will be checking into that.

Dangerousdave26
July 17th, 2009, 17:33
Mike

I have been running mine with nothing connected to it for a few weeks now. No Monitor, key board or mouse. I just use Windows Remote Desk top to connect to it.

Been pretty nice so far.

Dave

srgalahad
July 17th, 2009, 20:38
Mike, even DAVE hasn't been connected to it.. something about a lady on summer holidays.
Nice to see that he'd pop in long enough to offer helpful advice.

Re: the insurance... document everything (including any service calls from your power co.) Also, test the battery in the UPS because the charging or switching circuits may have been cooked in the surge.

Dangerousdave26
July 18th, 2009, 06:26
We just got back from St Augustine Fl last night...

Of course the first place I check is not my email its the Sim-Outhouse forums. :icon_lol:

And there is always something more interesting.