PDA

View Full Version : FS Recorder and Carriers

dswo
July 16th, 2009, 07:06
Over on AVSIM someone asked about instant replay for carriers. I told him what I knew, that FS Recorder could do it. Then someone said it didn't work. So I tried it. It does work, but it's not working the way I want it to.

Right now, I have a .bgl that sends the Nimitz around Oahu and back, starting and ending at Pearl. I also have a saved flight with a Hornet on a long downwind for recovery. I'm getting better at the recovery part! I tried to watch my latest using the FS Recorder replay function, and it worked...sort of. My plane was there, and the carrier was there (which it wouldn't be in default instant replay). But the carrier had continued to move forward, so when my Hornet got arrested (!), it was over thin air instead of a carrier deck.

What am I doing wrong? My recorder settings are attached. "Recording settings" (on the next page) are set to record AI traffic. If I were diagnosing my own problem blind, I would say, "You have AI traffic set to 'show normal traffic,'" because that's what seems to be happening. But, in fact, I have it set to "play recorded traffic."

Since making this settings screenshot, I have also reduced the Max rec/played AI to 10, and checked "Prop/Mixture" under "Recorded data."

dswo
July 16th, 2009, 07:28
I see that this problem has been discussed already, and not that long ago: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=201784. I gather that one needs to:

Start the recording from the beginning of a paused and saved flight.
Replay the recording from the beginning of the same flight.

Shylock
July 16th, 2009, 07:31
Its not anything your doing wrong. FS Recorder only records AI planes not boats or helo's. It sounds as though you had replayed the FRC as "Play as traffic" So it was only there because it was still in the same game. If you left the flight the started it all over with out spawning a carrier there and tried to replay the FRC only your plane will be there.

I could be wrong on this but I am going off of what I know which at times isn't very much.

dswo
July 16th, 2009, 07:41
:iidea: That would explain things. Thank you.

dswo
July 17th, 2009, 02:17
I tried SkippyBing's method from the thread already mentioned; that worked pretty well.

SkippyBing
July 17th, 2009, 06:32
Just to expand, FS Recorder doesn't record ship AI so the trick is to reset the time when you playback the recording. That will then put the boat back where it was at that time, I'm not 100% sure but I think there may be a bit of variation in the ship's exact position on playback, but it's normally close enough.