PDA

View Full Version : JustFlight Duchess FS2004

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 06:51
Has anyone tried it yet? There is a free demo available, but I have not given it a run yet, so if anyone has tried it what do you think? I love GA twins, so i would seriously consider purchasing it if it's good.

SlamBam
July 16th, 2009, 10:02
It looks nice but I would wait for the Carenado Seneca....it should be out for FS9 soon....I think.

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 10:59
Yes and the Carenado Seneca is the one I am leaning towards unless there is a lot of good feedback on the Duchess in which case I will get both of them.

PilatusTurbo
July 16th, 2009, 11:26
Ok. I'm reviewing the Duchess, and all I can say is Phenomenal. I'm recommending that it gets a Gold Star. I've had it for less than a week, and I'm piling hours on it.

This is the best bang for your buck that I've seen recently, and it's got so many neat features. I'm telling you, for only 22 bucks--BUY IT! :ernae:

No, Just Flight is not paying me to say anything nice. It's just that good. I just bought Air Hauler from them, too, so they're not giving me stuff! LOL :bump: I'll have to address this issue in the review, because people will think that by my raving about this plane. :ernae: These are some of the shots I'm using in the review when I finish. By the way, for the VC people, it's easily Carenado quality and it's got neat features.

pointy31
July 16th, 2009, 11:40
I agree with PT....I tried the demo version, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It is at least Carenado quality. Passengers can be added/deleted, with corresponding changes in payload, a nice touch. I took a few screenies...

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 14:23
Looks great! And glad to hear some informative input, too!

Tim-HH
July 16th, 2009, 14:58
Yes, it's a nice aircraft. But nevertheless I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed. The VC gauges are not so fluent as you would expect it for a new FS9 airplane, there is no click sound for the switches, the sunvisors or the storm window are either open or closed...there is no animation for the transition between these two conditions and I miss the force feedback effects :rolleyes:

All in all I would say it's a solid addon but nothing spectacular...at least in my eyes :)

Greetings
Tim

SlamBam
July 16th, 2009, 15:15
Is there a paintkit? Are there any US reg. aircraft?

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 16:05
Tim, when you say 'fluent' are you referring to the 'smoothness' of the gauges? This is important. Also with the animations are you saying that they do not 'move'? Thanks for your input.

euroastar350
July 16th, 2009, 17:15
From the McDonald's slogan, "I'm Lovin' It" :medals::icon29:

PilatusTurbo
July 16th, 2009, 19:05
Difference in opinions, I guess. :ernae: I don't worry about switch clicks, or the animated parts like that. In a VC, I want legibility, crisp lines, and function function function. :bump: Look down on the pilot side floor, and click the Emergency Gear Door Panel... :engel016:

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 19:09
And speaking of function, I bought it and am VERY dissappointed!!! No VC night lighting!!!! AAAHHHHH! What developer spends sooo much time modeling an aircraft so well and doesn't do VC night gauge lighting??!!?? Another one down the tubes i'm afraid....oh well. Live and learn.

Felixthreeone
July 16th, 2009, 19:16
That is what I get for not running my demo aircraft at night (I do a lot of dusk/night flying)....I will have to be happy flying day VFR....:mad:

FengZ
July 16th, 2009, 20:48
And speaking of function, I bought it and am VERY dissappointed!!! No VC night lighting!!!! AAAHHHHH! What developer spends sooo much time modeling an aircraft so well and doesn't do VC night gauge lighting??!!?? Another one down the tubes i'm afraid....oh well. Live and learn.

i've been following this thread since i like GA twins.

you mean there's zero night lighting in the VC? Everything is completely dark? hmm...that doesn't seem possible...maybe it's a bug?

i do a lot of night time IFR flying to force myself to not depend on the outside view....lol...if this feature is missing....well....hmm.

I'll wait like everyone else for the Carenado Seneca.

*edit* Checked their official website, and noticed these features list:

- Silky smooth gauge operation (but doesn't say if it's in VC)
- Cockpit night lighting (again, no mention of VC)

-feng

FlyTexas
July 16th, 2009, 22:24
As we speak I'm flying the demo Duchess at night. The VC itself is lit but the individual gauges are not.

Brian

mrogers
July 17th, 2009, 00:34
It looks so neat, good feedback about it. What I don't get are the small little things that some are disappointed about...as if it was a big thing. I would not worry about them that much. Maybe we're getting too spoilt!! Felixthreeone, don't throw it away. Keep it on your HD, you'd be throwing your money away.It may have some fixes or upgrades for it later, you never know.

Felixthreeone
July 17th, 2009, 05:58
I guess 'spoiled' is the correct term....I put so many hours on my FSD Seneca that I have become accustomed to fully adjustable night gauge lighting in the VC. Not flood lighting. I hate VC flood lighting...That is the only thing keeping this aircraft grounded!!! It is otherwise very good. I will wait and see if they patch it to add the gauge lighting....until then it will be buttoned up in the back corner of the hangar.

PilatusTurbo
July 17th, 2009, 07:53
Felix, please don't let that ground this bird. Flood lighting is how some real planes do night lighting, and others do have gauge lights. For instance, in my father's real Bellanca 14-19-2, we have individual gauge lights and NO dome light. However, I wish we had a dome instead of those dim little dinky gauge lights.

One of them crapped on a night flight, and an important one: the ASI light. I had to hold a dang flash light for him on the gauge, on approach. :d

Either way, the Duchess is worth the money. I agree with Mr Rogers; all I need is the basics, and they are exquisitely well done here.

Felixthreeone
July 17th, 2009, 08:15
Well PilatusTurbo, I will definitely agree that it is an extremely good rendition of the Duchess...And no, I won't be deleting it; I will simply wait to see If Justflight decides to add the gauge lighting (which the FSX version apparently has) and live with it. Overall, very nice aircraft and lots of cool features.

Felixthreeone
July 17th, 2009, 11:47
Just flew a quick VFR hop from Troutdale to Hillsboro, with a TNG at Portland...and an engine failure thrown in for good measure. Seems as though my whining about the VC lighting will have to take a back seat to phenomenal flight dynamics, a great VC, and overall great performance. No sounds on the switches in the VC, but whatever...flies beautifully!! And TrackIR makes it that much better!

PilatusTurbo
July 17th, 2009, 12:29
Glad to hear. I know it's not perfect, but it's sure close enough. :d

I love how it flies; it has such a heavy yet realistic feel to it. It feels like you really have to push the pedals and swing the yoke to get her to go where you want. Anyone who's flown a real plane knows that, until you get them trimmed and happy, this is how they can fly. :ernae:

Felixthreeone
July 18th, 2009, 15:49
I think I'll throw some shockwave lights on it this evening, then post the config if anyone wants it.

pointy31
July 18th, 2009, 16:49
This is what the panel looks like on a dark night...:kilroy:

Yeah, I know I was close to a stall, but with my cat-like reflexes, no problem...:sleep:

Felixthreeone
July 19th, 2009, 20:20
.....I really dislike that reddish purpleish flooding....Maybe sometime in the future they will retrofit the FSX style gauge lighting.....

PilatusTurbo
July 19th, 2009, 21:23
I can understand the personal preference; it's just not appealing to you. However, as I said, please don't let it ruin a great aircraft.

I know, she's not perfect. But, I still want it to get a great review, and after more time in it, probably still a Gold star. :ernae:

SlamBam
July 20th, 2009, 06:16
this is a very nice aircraft and may even add it to my hanger of flyers. Everyday I'm interested less in military types and more so in the direction of general aviation.

How does the Seneca they offer differ from this one?

pointy31
July 20th, 2009, 07:36
this is a very nice aircraft and may even add it to my hanger of flyers. Everyday I'm interested less in military types and more so in the direction of general aviation.

How does the Seneca they offer differ from this one?

I have the JF Seneca, and while it's nice (and cheap), it doesn't compare, IMHO, to the Duchess...:ernae:

I bought the Seneca as part of the "Flying Club" CD, which included four other aircraft, in addition to the Seneca. Final price, including shipping....$44... Doing the math, Coonass logic told me the it was a good deal...:icon29:

PilatusTurbo
July 20th, 2009, 09:16
For 21.99 US ( I believe), The Duchess is worthit. I seriously think it's one of the best deals for a single aircraft I've seen in a long long time. In a world where some paywares are above the $30 or $40 dollar mark, here we have value and quality.

Glad you like them twins, too, Pointy. :bump: :ernae:

SlamBam, I used to do the Miljets and WWII props alot, too. However, for most of us here, Gen Av is where we'd be most likely to fly. However, I do enjoy the occasional T-38 or P-51 flights, too.

Felixthreeone
July 20th, 2009, 15:42
It has definitely earned a spot in my hangar :ernae:

PilatusTurbo
July 20th, 2009, 15:54
Glad to hear it! :ernae: It's a relatively unique (in the sense that you don't ever see them nearly as much as Seminoles, which are a dime a dozen), and it's not a bad performer, either. :bump: :ernae:

Lionheart
July 20th, 2009, 16:29
It is a great looking model, thats for sure. That panel is first rate.

Making a sound system is extremely difficult. You do not know how difficult that is. I finally achieved that level of technology on my last plane. Its an expensive option, but a nice one. (I am a click fanatic, but I know how difficult it is for Devs to have it).

I am also, however, a night flyer also and need a VC with gauges only illumination without the dreaded dome light (flood light) feature on during flight.

Not a complaint, but a need.

Which means it would be awesome for day time flights. :d

Bill

Felixthreeone
July 21st, 2009, 05:37
Agreed, Bill....Well the only thing I can hope for is that Justflight will maybe address the issue with a retrofit of the FSX gauge-only illumination....possibly a service pack of some sort. Until then I will continue flying it relentlessly day VFR :ernae:

PilatusTurbo
July 21st, 2009, 07:47
I just began a flight from Phoenix, up to Alaska. I landed in Laughlin for now, as I kinda had to... I won't go into detail, there... :d When you gotta land, you gotta land...:bump:

It really is a great touring ship, and I'm going to get at least 2 more hours on it today, as I need to get up there at some point. :ernae: