PDA

View Full Version : FSX Acceleration and Windows7 RC

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 11:45
I'll have to admit, I had hopes that this latest offering from Microsoft might be the lift I needed in FSX to do some stutter free flying.

As it happens though, the only constructive thing accomplished with this installation was to get rid of Vista, lol.

Since the backup program I used prior to the new installation isn't compatible with Win7 I am left to reinstall everything from scratch. . .again (remember the HDD Crash and Motherboard cookout of a few months ago?). I had so much stuff installed for FSX, I don't even remember half of it anymore, lol.

Anyway, with a fresh install of the Win7 RC and a fresh install of FSX, SP1 and Acceleration and no additional addons installed to this point, I see no difference in FPS over what I had with Vista32. . .not even a little bit. I went looking for any tweaks I might have missed but then remembered that for the most part, accel eliminated the need for further tweaks.

Too bad, but not really surprised either. . .it's our constant quest for higher FPS that drives us ever onward, lol.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 11:52
shuttering some times is because of having an dual core CPU. i get shuttering at times. that is more caused by hardware more then software. windows 7 has some good stuff to it but its not going to make your 3.0 GHZ CPU perform like an 3.4 Ghz CPU.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

wilycoyote4
July 15th, 2009, 12:18
Windows7 RC ---- how do I get this?

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 12:19
look up windows 7 RC in google idk if its still available
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 13:33
shuttering some times is because of having an dual core CPU. i get shuttering at times. that is more caused by hardware more then software. windows 7 has some good stuff to it but its not going to make your 3.0 GHZ CPU perform like an 3.4 Ghz CPU.
Some interesting info there young Skywalker. I'd like to get into the specifics of your observations if that's alright. . .what is it about a dual core system that causes "stuttering" (not shuttering) exactly. . .also, can you zero in on what it is in the realm of hardware that would cause that?
You must be psychic as well because I actually do have a 3.0Ghz CPU, however, I don't think I expected it to run like a 3.4 Ghz CPU, that would be asking too much. . .I was hoping more along the lines of maybe 3.1.

Actually, I don't spend much time peering into the guts of my system to see what's what. Everything I read here and other forums was that Vista was memory intensive, using a lot of the resources just to run the OS and I also heard that Win7 was a more "leaned out" OS in comparison and some FSX users had seen modest increases and in a few cases significant increases in FPS after making the switch.

We all know that no two systems are alike and what works for one almost certainly will not work or work as well for another system. I gave it a shot and found that in my case it made no difference. I would still like to hear from you on the two answers posed above though.

some1
July 15th, 2009, 13:38
Anyway, with a fresh install of the Win7 RC and a fresh install of FSX, SP1 and Acceleration and no additional addons installed to this point, I see no difference in FPS over what I had with Vista32. . .not even a little bit. I went looking for any tweaks I might have missed but then remembered that for the most part, accel eliminated the need for further tweaks.

If I remember correctly I told it already on this forum two times. Vista or 7, it's pretty much the same when it comes to gaming performance. I wrote about my FSX tests, gave links to some online benchmarks of other titles. But who cares, posts how 7 is superb and how many miracles it makes (without any FACTS, like comparison benchmarks or anything, just subjective opinions) draw always more attention.

By all means I'm not saying 7 is bad, just the opposite, I don't see any area where Vista could be better than newest Windows, but it's 'just' OS. It's not a miracle cure that will make your computer 2 times faster. It won't even make it 10% faster. :)

rwmarth
July 15th, 2009, 13:57
If I remember correctly I told it already on this forum two times. Vista or 7, it's pretty much the same when it comes to gaming performance. I wrote about my FSX tests, gave links to some online benchmarks of other titles. But who cares, posts how 7 is superb and how many miracles it makes (without any FACTS, like comparison benchmarks or anything, just subjective opinions) draw always more attention.

By all means I'm not saying 7 is bad, just the opposite, I don't see any area where Vista could be better than newest Windows, but it's 'just' OS. It's not a miracle cure that will make your computer 2 times faster. It won't even make it 10% faster. :)

Im just waiting for the flood of comments saying how Win 7 "fixes" what MS screwed up with Vista especially with games. As you said Vista probably doesnt do anything better, but where 7 changes from Vista wasnt because it was broken in Vista to begin with. Just better in 7 (or perhaps just different). I only consider a new OS to be when the startup sounds are different than the previous version! :)

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 14:03
I If I remember correctly I told it already on this forum two times. . . . .But who cares, posts how 7 is superb and how many miracles it makes. . . .always draws more attention.
And we all know that almost no one ever reads the opening post of a thread once it has progressed for a bit. . .they read the last post and then comment oblivious to the fact that they're probably repeating something already posted earlier.

Like I said, we are always striving for higher FPS (even those who claim to get 60fps already, lol) and this was a typical study in futility, lol.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 14:25
Well i kinda observed my findings of the CPU thing Duo Vs Quad. i really think its because of Cach and the number of cores working on stuff. hence an quad core might have less stuff going on per core and have more cach.

As for the GPU well my old 8800 GT 512 mb card could not hold up to FSX with my new monitor 1680x1050 and it caused an lot of funky **** to happen. I and it oced to 120% witch did something but not much. i went from that to a GTS250 1 gig card along with an new mobo EVGA 790i FTW and now its running quite well for having an E8400 running at 3.6 GHz

so my thoughs are this
GPU was causing the bulk of the problems,
Mobo was at its limuts and making my OC of my CPU slightly unstable
and my RAM witch i changed to all the same type ie timengs wise helped to.

my question is this what do you have in your computer?

Ryan

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 15:01
The original System:
Acer AST180 Dual Core
4000+ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor
512MB DDR2
250gig HD
on-board graphics
After I got it home. . .added:
2nd 250gig HDD from previous setup
4gig RAM
NVidia 7600GT w/512
After the HD crashed and the motherboard boiled over:
Gigabyte 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 3.0 Ghz
NVidia 9600 GT w/512
250gig and 300gig HDD and external 250gig simple drive

I think that covers it.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 15:13
yah i see your shuttering problem right there.

you GPU is realy not good enough how much people say your GPU makes no difference are quite foolish because i seen an difference between an 8600GT to an 8800GT and GTS250, you best bet realy is to get an new GPU to start with if you can an 9800GTX+ or an GTS250 would probaly solve some problems there.

an 9600 is problay running out of breath especialy the more newer addons you add.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 15:18
my specs are as fallows

Intel E8400@ 3.6 Ghz 1600 FSB
EVGA 790i FTW mobo
4 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM at 1.65 volts
EVGA GTS250 1 GB running at 785 core and 2300 RAM
Windows 7 64
1 500 GB main HDD
1 75 GB storage

an DVI monitor at 1680x1050

now that dose ok but an quad core would do me wonders to be honest having an Q9650 would probably make FSX run like glass

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 16:12
yah i see your shuttering problem right there.

you GPU is realy not good enough how much people say your GPU makes no difference are quite foolish because i seen an difference between an 8600GT to an 8800GT and GTS250, you best bet realy is to get an new GPU to start with if you can an 9800GTX+ or an GTS250 would probaly solve some problems there.

an 9600 is problay running out of breath especialy the more newer addons you add.
Ok, I'll start looking for replacements then. Cost is a major factor anymore but I maybe able to find something via Fry's.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 17:42
Ok, I'll start looking for replacements then. Cost is a major factor anymore but I maybe able to find something via Fry's.

whats your budget for a card?

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 18:58
whats your budget for a card?

Depends really, I don't even know what a decent price would be. The Gigabyte MObo and CPU came from Fry's in Dallas, that's the closest place around here and that's an hour away.

Rezabrya
July 15th, 2009, 20:00
I am sorry to say but you people are severely mistaken. Ryan, I have told you this and you obviously did not listen. I will not comment on your system Ryan but I will comment on the OP's system. Although a 9600 may be drowning in the waters of FSX a bit, A new GPU won't do all that much for you. FSX is very CPU dependant and doesn't mind the GPU that much anymore. The saying goes, your GPU determinds how it looks, and your CPU determinds what fps you get. FSX is all about tweaking. It really is tough to run. You don't need ridiculously high fps numbers to be happy anymore. You are looking for fluidity more than anything. Getting crazy expensive "super" components aren't going to magically be amazing. its all about finding what tweaks and stuff works for you.

RyanJames170
July 15th, 2009, 20:04
raptor. beleave me his GPU is the bulk of his problems it was the bulk of mine

if he is getting 30 fps now buts its shuttery its probably the gpu

Rezabrya
July 15th, 2009, 20:07
that may be so... we will see. I was also commenting on anybody else in this mindset.

harleyman
July 15th, 2009, 20:23
I run FSX on this ..Smooth ..no tweaks.....

31M gigabyte Mobo

E5200 @2.5 OCed to 3.3

Saffire 3850 512 256 bit

Ram @ 1066 (2X2)

WD 250 HDD

Falcon...What is your ram?? Speed?

Stutters don't come from Graphics...It comes from unmatched FSB . Memory,and unmatched bandwidths....And to small a CPU... Any or all those...

spotlope
July 15th, 2009, 20:30
Aaagh! sTuttering, not sHuttering! :173go1:

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 20:56
Aaagh! sTuttering, not sHuttering! :173go1:
LMAO. . .hey, I tried Bill, lol, lol.

falcon409
July 15th, 2009, 20:59
I run FSX on this ..Smooth ..no tweaks.....
31M gigabyte Mobo
E5200 @2.5 OCed to 3.3
Saffire 3850 512 256 bit
Ram @ 1066 (2X2)
WD 250 HDD

Falcon...What is your ram?? Speed?

Stutters don't come from Graphics...It comes from unmatched FSB . Memory,and unmatched bandwidths....And to small a CPU... Any or all those...
I know that's part of my problem. . .the 1gig sticks were purchased two at a time about 6 months apart. . .unmatched and running at half what you posted yours at.