PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated with FSX!!!

brettt777
October 19th, 2008, 18:12
I am about to scream! I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled FSX for the fourth time and I still cannot get the HUD and MFD's to come up in VC on the FA-18. It use to work. The first time I had FSX installed they worked fine. I reinstalled it for some other reason and now they just refuse to come up. I don't get any kind of error telling me some gauge is an older version and won't work in FSX. It doesn't tell me anything. It just doesn't come up. Even the HUD in 2D won't work. What's the deal? I have a few other a/c that do the same thing but they aren't installed right now. This is a completely new install of FSX and Accel pack with no other add ons. SP1 & 2 are installed with Accel pack, correct? So there shouldn't be any other mods or patches I need. I wouldn't be all that suprised if it was just the add on planes that had panels that don't work. That happens to me all the time... "garunteed to work in FSX" but then all kinds of error messages about the .gau files being an older version. Anyway, how could this happen to a plane that is part of the original game and it use to work? Someone PLEASE help me out here. What am I missing??? BTW my system is a Duo core 2.13 ghz, 2 gb RAM, nVidia 8600gts, X-fi.

ROB
October 20th, 2008, 00:00
I wonder what is your answer - YES or NO - when the HUD asks you "please, let me work"...

regards
ROB

hey_moe
October 20th, 2008, 02:47
When you removed it did you go into you Cdrive/progams and remove that folder/ also ck your documents and registry and see if there is any leftovers. BTW have you downloaded and installed any planes before this happened...Mike

Arkycharlie
October 20th, 2008, 07:21
Could the problem be connected with the FSX.cfg file? I'm thinking that a new install does not overwrite this file, although I could be wrong. It is easy enough to look at the file and see it it's new. If the old file is still there, you might try backing up the current file and then restart FSX to force it to create a new file from scratch. Alternatively, you could simply edit it with notepad and remove all gauge entries, to keep your other settings, and maybe that would solve the problem. My FSX acceleration started crashing on me everytime I ran it and deleting the old cfg file solved my problem. I have made a habit now of keeping the file updated. If I install an aircraft and then decide to delete it, I look at the entries in the cfg file related to that aircraft and I delete them.

BASys
October 20th, 2008, 07:30
Hi Folks

Brett -
Look in fsx.CFG
section titled [Trusted]

Look for -

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\EH101.DLL.LONGSTRINGHERE=2

Where LONGSTRINGHERE is a 41 alpha char string.

Ensure the entries for the EH101 and equivalent fa-18 .dlls
both end with =2

As Charlie says -
Delete your fsx.CFG
from -
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

Also -
Check for any addons which use simconnect.
e.g.
FSUIPC
TrackIR
Walk&Follow

Ensure you've updated them to the SP2/Acceleration versions.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Arkycharlie
October 20th, 2008, 11:23
BASys, thanks for the very helpful added insight and information! You obviously are more knowledgable than I am on this issue. For future reference, I will be very interested to find out if this solved the problem.

brettt777
October 20th, 2008, 20:08
So I checked for the "2" on those lines in the fsx.cfg file. They were all 2. Then I deleted the the fsx.cfg file and let it create a new one. Still no avionics in the FA-18. Now here's something that I forgot to mention yesterday. I can move the cursor over many switches and knobs in VC and it will change to the little hand like it's a functional switch. It will even try to "grab" the knob or switch when you click it. But, you can't do anything with most of the knobs or switches, like the DDI on/off knobs or the brightness knob. The function switches are in the off position. Soooo...I guess they won't work like that; back in my Navy avionics days the DDI's in the EA-6B wouldn't work in the O F F position either. Anyway, there's obviously something not getting activated to turn this stuff on. Any ideas on that one?

Wozza
October 20th, 2008, 23:30
Hi
Try this
goto the My documents Flight Simulator X Files folder and move all the files in there to another location(dont delete em) fire up FSX you will get an error message just click on ok,when in the menu select the F-18 then fly now
when in game it should be flying with all systems on.If not then the problem is else where and you can re move the files back
If it fixs the problem the save flight your loading has some needed system set off or not set corectly.
Wozza

Panther_99FS
October 21st, 2008, 04:54
Have you deleted ALL your copies of FSX.CFG?

If not, FSX will find the others and use them...

gera
October 21st, 2008, 06:09
You might have a ghost in your PC (Virus) or your Video Card is just burnt up with a lousy driver..or...or...or...:kilroy:

brettt777
October 21st, 2008, 07:46
Have you deleted ALL your copies of FSX.CFG?

If not, FSX will find the others and use them...

Hmmm...I wondered about that. All I did was move them. I didn't delete them. I will try that...

brettt777
October 22nd, 2008, 17:43
Okay here's another thing I just noticed tonight...in the airplanes that don't work the files are all either .gau files or .dll files. In the airplanes that do work, all the files are .xml files. Now that HAS to be a problem wouldn't you think? Of course, I don't have the slightest idea what to do about it...

harleyman
October 22nd, 2008, 17:51
I'm no expert, but I think that the .dll and .gau are FS9 and the .xml are FS10

Not 100% on anything anymore though.....:banghead:

brettt777
October 23rd, 2008, 17:14
I'm no expert, but I think that the .dll and .gau are FS9 and the .xml are FS10

Not 100% on anything anymore though.....:banghead:

Well, the .dll files I am refering to are the FA-18 that comes with Accel pack. Anyway, what I'm gonna do is try to install it on another PC and see what happens. I have one of my office PC's that I am gonna try to breath some life into. It's a 3.2 ghz P4 that should run this game okay. I appreciate all the suggestions that everyone has given me. Only problem is nothing has worked. There has to be something that has changed in my system or something....these things did work before.

harleyman
October 23rd, 2008, 17:19
Sorry to hear you're still struggeling Brettt777...it can at times be so frustrating........Hope you get it figured out soon.....