PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 1% aircraft

Autothrottle
July 14th, 2009, 01:49
Is it alright if you miss some of the steps given with the 1% aircraft in CFS3? Do you have to follow it exactly or can the aircraft perform well enough without them?

1. The CFS3 1% aircraft are designed to be flown at the "HARD" Single Player Realism Options and Flight Model settings in the game. Failure to select the hard flight model will cause severe problems in how the plane flys, or possibly doesn't fly.
2. Select - Normal Weapons, Show IAS, Aircraft Stress Causes Damage, G-Forces & Sun Glare.
3. De-Select - Player is Invincible, Unlimited Fuel, Unlimited Ammo, Auto-Rudder.
4. YOU MUST RECALIBRATE YOUR JOYSTICK ON A REGULAR BASIS. Do not fly with an un-calibrated joystick. Many, pilots are missing out on the full flying experience because their joystick is not giving them full control deflection.

Is it bad if some or all of the steps aren't followed? I have one that works just fine without it.

greycap.raf
July 14th, 2009, 05:19
By simple logic, TAS versus IAS is just a number and makes zero difference to how the aircraft actually flies. Just as much as G forces (that at least I don't use anyway because the AI doesn't either) or sun glare. They're just immersion increasers. Your list is actually missing deselecting auto mixture but then again, most engines by the end of the war had automatic mixture controls in real life so... you decide.

BeauBrummie
July 14th, 2009, 07:14
I agree with Greycap. I've never learnt to use the fine techniques of mixture control etal, and I cut out on g-force too for the same reasons. These ai aircraft have enough of an advantage.

hairyspin
July 14th, 2009, 11:47
Hmmm. After a recent talk with a commercial pilot I'm not so sure about IAS versus TAS. As altitude increases, IAS decreases relative to true airspeed, as does lift generated by the wing(s). There comes a point where the wing cannot generate enough lift and the aircraft cannot go any faster and afaik, IAS will show about stalling speed, even if TAS is in fact several hundred knots. IAS becomes useful in such circumstances, imo.

A related problem, not generally experienced by WWII aircraft, is when the wings cannot generate enough lift in the thin air at altitude without increasing airspeed, but to do so will start compression effects (speed of sound-related control problems) - the infamous coffin corner. The U2 reconnaisance aircraft at operational height flies (afaik) about 10 knots above stalling speed and about the same below the onset of compression effects.

Best avoided!

But if you never calibrate your joystick, you deserve everything the AI can throw at you.....