PDA

View Full Version : Jane's WW2 Fighters. Anyone still fly it?

Navy Chief
October 19th, 2008, 18:11
I had this sim installed years ago, and found it in a box this afternoon.

I installed it on my father in laws system, and still amazed at the level of detail this sim has. Considering it was released in 1998, it is really nice! Fun too!

I cannot anything on this, forum wise. Although it did recognize my father in law's joystick (Logitech Force Feedback 3D Pro) it was not listed on the options menu.

Likewise, I could not see any way to assign buttons to various functions at all.

The only way I could load the sim, was to tell XP to run it as Windows 98 compatibility. It loaded with zero difficulties, BUT, the scenery horizon (for lack of better description) oftimes has a line dividing it from lower half of screen. No other way to say that, but perhaps I can take a screenshot to show what I mean.

But the sim is a lot of fun. Besides CFS2, now he has a choice, and enjoying them both. I like the big band music in the background.

If anyone still flies this, and has some tips and addon files, please contact me!

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/janes-wwii-fighters-museum-me262/1365879291

Thanks.

Navy Chief

tenspeed
October 19th, 2008, 18:42
I have this but not installed anymore. This was my first or second sim. F/A-18 was the other one. Back when it first came out there were many sites and I downloaded some stuff. If I can find what I have I'll let you know what it is and can send it to you. I'm pretty sure I don't have alot as compared to the CFS series but if you have nothing it will be more then you have now. I'll check tomorrow and will PM you with the results.

PRB
October 19th, 2008, 18:51
I've always thought Janes WW-II Fighters was ahead of it's time. I still have the CD, but it hasn't been installed in some time. The cloud effects as you passed through the cloud deck, they captured the sensation of speed as the cloud "bits" went past the canopy really really fast. The "head bobbing" effect we now see in FSX, Janes had it. Virtual cockpits. And I liked the musical score as you flew your mission across the frozen landscape. Oh yeah, and all the animals you can see in FSX? Yep, Janes's WW-II Fighters had em. Horses, foxes, cows. It was a fun sim.

Donnybrooke
October 19th, 2008, 19:15
navychief,

Try here:

http://www.ww2fighters.org/

Still a few guys dedicated to this sim. Any mods for the game can be found there.

Jagdflieger
October 19th, 2008, 21:14
I really enjoyed WW II Fighters. I understand that it doesn't work with Windows XP, so I haven't tried it on my current computer. Anyone know if that's true?

Quicksand
October 20th, 2008, 05:40
Guys, I still fly it, and have almost every mod ever released for it...... It will work with XP, and the guys at http://www.ww2fighters.org/ are the best. Not as many pilots there as back in the day, but the aces and experten are still there. It was my first flight/combat sim, and these fine folks helped me to pick a rig, and to make WW2F fly like a dream on it with XP. Give them a shout over there... I think you will see a bunch of familiar folks when you get to the forums... Long Live WW2F, and ww2fighters.org..:medals::medals::applause::applau se::ernae::ernae:

Navy Chief
October 20th, 2008, 05:52
I really enjoyed WW II Fighters. I understand that it doesn't work with Windows XP, so I haven't tried it on my current computer. Anyone know if that's true?

All you need to do is go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

Follow the directions. Worked like a charm for me!!!

NC

Thanks Quicksand and Donnybrooke for the information!!!

Quicksand
October 20th, 2008, 06:29
Navychief, you are welcome. I still find WW2F to be alot more user-friendly than CFS3, which I flew for a few years. It's like an old friend. It never stutters, locks up, or packs up, and the "feel" you experience while flying it is hard to beat, even by today's standards. Glad it worked for you....

NCGent
October 20th, 2008, 06:34
The very first sim I bought, well, got it for Christmas in 1990...Great game though.

Chris

Jaxon
October 20th, 2008, 16:26
High!
Around 1997/98, I was very deep into WW2Fighters.

I also turned that Bf 109G back into an F-model. From the 1st day, I was hooked.
In the meantime, I like CFS2 much more, due to the unlimited extension possibilities.
And I don`t even have WW2F installed anymore since some years..
But I still miss the very nice cockpit with the "I am there" feeling.
Only few CFS2 birds can repeat this.

You can get my mod and other stuff here:

http://ww2fighters.org/

PS: Was that really 10 years ago ??

:eek:

Buddha13
October 21st, 2008, 14:23
Hi all,
I used to love that sim.Liked being able to ground straf the troops.
Not used it for quite some time.but I do still have the cd boxed.
Tried it on Vista and it just falls over.

Buddha13

PSULLYKEYS
October 21st, 2008, 15:53
Excellent sim.well ahaed of its time........great mission builder.......only problem - all winter and a tiny bit of Europe........

and not moddable like CFS2 but if you like - look here:

http://www.ww2fighters.org/

Good luck, enjoy...:wavey:

PS: It does work with XP.......

Donnybrooke
October 22nd, 2008, 09:28
Excellent sim.well ahaed of its time........great mission builder.......only problem - all winter and a tiny bit of Europe........

and not moddable like CFS2......

Hmmmm? Well, not according to this guy...

http://www.simplyhifi.com.au/WW2FATPROJECTS.htm

gtunney
October 29th, 2008, 17:17
NavyChief, I get the divided screen, too. Are you running on a machine with an NVidia card? I've heard there is an issue with them and that's what I have.

thedude247
November 5th, 2008, 06:05
Yeah, used to play this religously. :jump:

bearcat241
November 5th, 2008, 12:21
Still alive on my drive too!!! :wiggle:

Navy Chief
November 5th, 2008, 13:51
GTunney,

My father in laws machine is running a low end Nvidia card (Wal Mart special). To be honest, I have not played WW2 Fighters for a while, but plan to be again soon.

NC

GT182
November 6th, 2008, 04:57
I've still got it... it was my first WWII flight sim. And flew it second to B-17 for a long time. It's still ahead of it's time IMO. I'll have to fire it back up soon. Loved the realism because of the animals, especially the deer that would run across the runway every so often. :costumes: The other nice thing was being able to taxi out for your takeoffs with the AI.

I forget, did it have MP? Too bad Jane's is no longer around to give it a remake to today's standards. That, and the mods made, would make it top notch again.

CH_OldZeke
November 6th, 2008, 08:13
I'll give ya another shocker, it works on vista 32 too, without haveing to set any compatibility. Least it does on my vista drive.
FFB works with my sidewinder, amazeing that this old sim just keeps on working when so many new ones fail.

GT182
November 6th, 2008, 08:41
amazeing that this old sim just keeps on working when so many new ones fail.

Yes it is Zeke. :d When I was flying it it never really had any problems like the sims of today do. Look at one of today's sims cross-eyed and it crashes, WWII Fighters just kept on ticking. ;)

lefty
November 6th, 2008, 22:12
Found the CD's, in pristine condition. Now, has anyone found the trick of getting these to load/run on Vista ???

CH_OldZeke
November 7th, 2008, 09:46
Hummm, mine is a single CD and it ran/installed on vista. I have installed other programs that would'nt run from the CD by copying the CD contents to a folder then running the install exe from within the folder.

Had to do my nostromo speed pad software like that as the cd would throw the "this is not a vista program" or some such when I tried to run it.

aceman0x
September 25th, 2010, 12:22
i still fly, i dont know how much of video need but with 1g of ram is more than enough, respect with the fighters there is no add ons for play just mods to change one for other, for the other aircrafts im not sure

here is a table of how dificult is the games compared with il2 cfs2
in an equal fight aces vs aces fighters
cfs2
8 allieds - 8 axis shotdowns by player 4 or 8 depending the aircraft used and how agresive are the opponent
il2 aces vs aces
4 allieds - 4 axis, i dont remerber if were 8 vs 8 or 4 vs 4 shotdowns by player (in my sort experience) 2or3
wwii fighters aces vs aces
16 allieds - 16 axis shotdowns by player between 2 and 3 with some luck 3.5

fighters againt bombers
cfs2
8 allieds - 8 axis shotdowns by player 3 or 4
il2 aces vs aces
4 allieds - 4 axis shotdowns by player n/a (no tested)
wwii fighters aces vs aces
16 allieds - 4 axis shotdowns by player 109G between 2 and 2.5 with some luck 3 or 3.5

Deadmeat709
January 8th, 2013, 15:33
Hey, my name is Josh. Anyone up for a multiplayer session? :wiggle:

Penzoil3
January 9th, 2013, 23:51
:icon_lol:
Just reinstalled! Running in compatibility mode on Windows 7. Using the good ol' Thrustmaster Hotas.
Whee! I'd forgotten how great a game this is. Can't get any of the mods to install, but no worries.
Thanks
Sue

Deadmeat709
January 10th, 2013, 09:08
Yeah, I have the same setup. I'm pretty sure theres a way to install mods, but i don't know it. Right now I'm happy with the default aircraft.

hunter
August 22nd, 2016, 12:54
Me, sometimes again ....whit windows 10 64 bit ......whit some mod install

Allen
August 22nd, 2016, 14:59
Have it laying around some place...

mikezola
August 22nd, 2016, 20:20
Hello-
It's still alive and kicking on my system (win7 pro, nvidia 660), with a few mods as well!

sixstrings5859
August 24th, 2016, 04:09
Let this one slip by.:banghead: Can it still be found ? Running Win. 7 64 bit. If i can install CFS3 ETO version 1.50 sure i can load this one. Will research more. Sounds interesting. Have 6 very different CFS3 installs , Il-2 '46, (fully updated), Free Falcon 6 ,Falcon 4.0 and Lock On, (updated). Several more combat sims out there that i haven't got yet. Sounds like a good combat sim. if it will run with my pc O.S. .

mikezola
August 24th, 2016, 12:23
Wow- I have no idea where one might find a copy of this game... it ought to work in your system, in case you do... I really didn't jump thru many hoops to get it running on mine... just the basic tweak of the .exe file compatibility- and the game doesn't like widescreen resolutions, but it looks fine at 1600 x 1200...

Blackbird686
August 24th, 2016, 12:42
I still have it, in it's original box... haven't flown it in years. Also have Jane's F-15, F/A-18 and Jane's USAF. :dizzy:

BB686:US-flag:

PRB
August 25th, 2016, 05:20
Back when this thread was started, eight years ago (lol) I tried installing it on whatever system I had then (XP? Vista?). It would not install. Or it installed but would not even start to load. Haven't tried since. Too bad, as it was a really fun sim. Limited to a small area in Europe, but that was ok back in "olden times"... :)

Willy
August 25th, 2016, 06:01
I bought it and CFS 1 at about the same time. Great eye candy compared to CFS, but CFS was just so much easier for me to mod and I found the predecessor website to here which was direct linked from the Microsoft CFS web page. Jane's just kind of fell to the side after that.

Pips
August 30th, 2016, 16:28
I luv those older sims. Still have RB3D, EAW, MiG Alley and B-17 The Mighty Eighth on my (older, second) computer.

Missed Jane's though. Judging from all the favourable comments it's worthwhile having. Found it here:
http://www.old-games.com/download/6253/jane-s-wwii-fighters :)