PDA

View Full Version : Life at $20 a gallon

Trans_23
July 13th, 2009, 18:22
http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1663092,CST-NWS-ride13.article

I found this article interesting today and thought I would share.

Rami
July 13th, 2009, 18:29
I agree with a lot of that.

Trans_23
July 13th, 2009, 18:31
I am going shopping for a new horse this weekend! :d

cheezyflier
July 13th, 2009, 19:55
what he doesn't mention is the social impact from all the change. there's no way to grow food on the scale we currently do without fuel. that means some people will starve. look back in history before the civil war, when most of the country was built on an agrarian economy. were there empty mansions then? no! you think there won't be priveledge and elitist snobbery and excess in the time he speaks of? maybe not slaves in the classic sense, maybe not with the clear racial division from history, but effectually the same. how about health care? that kind of lifestyle doesn't support the kind of $$ that pays doctors and nurses what they like to make. consequently, there won't be as many. and there won't be all the neat testing labs that get results back fast, or medivac helicopters, etc. you think ambulance rides are expensive now?

don't be fooled into buying that clap trap. monumental changes like the ones he envisions come incrementally, and at great cost. to the little guy. that's you. oh, and by the way, that means no more internet.

Piglet
July 14th, 2009, 19:31
By the time oil runs out, or rises way up in price, there will be (hopefully) new energy sources, and life will continue just as it is now. No, or just minor changes will happen. Today, you drive to the store. 200 years ago, you rode animal or walked. 200 years from today, you will jetpack to the store. All use fuel.

Trans_23
July 14th, 2009, 19:39
what he doesn't mention is the social impact from all the change. there's no way to grow food on the scale we currently do without fuel. that means some people will starve. look back in history before the civil war, when most of the country was built on an agrarian economy. were there empty mansions then? no! you think there won't be priveledge and elitist snobbery and excess in the time he speaks of? maybe not slaves in the classic sense, maybe not with the clear racial division from history, but effectually the same. how about health care? that kind of lifestyle doesn't support the kind of $$ that pays doctors and nurses what they like to make. consequently, there won't be as many. and there won't be all the neat testing labs that get results back fast, or medivac helicopters, etc. you think ambulance rides are expensive now?

don't be fooled into buying that clap trap. monumental changes like the ones he envisions come incrementally, and at great cost. to the little guy. that's you. oh, and by the way, that means no more internet.

Actually, believe the book he wrote describes everything happening in increments. When gas gets to $6 a gallon, then 7 and so forth. It is just one man's opinion of what might happens based on his own research. I would hope, before it gets to $20 a gallon that new technology would take over and we can still go to Disney World. I get saddle sore very easily.

cheezyflier
July 14th, 2009, 19:42
By the time oil runs out, or rises way up in price, there will be (hopefully) new energy sources, and life will continue just as it is now. No, or just minor changes will happen. Today, you drive to the store. 200 years ago, you rode animal or walked. 200 years from today, you will jetpack to the store. All use fuel.

i've been living car free for over 2 years now. i ride a bicycle everywhere, except in winter i walk or take the bus/subway/streetcar. i tow my groceries home in a trailer behind the bike. in fact i just bought a new one today. i do all my shopping this way. i didn't do it to be green. it just makes more sense than owning a car in a tax hungry place like toronto, unless you have a long commute.

Lionheart
July 14th, 2009, 19:57
i've been living car free for over 2 years now. i ride a bicycle everywhere, except in winter i walk or take the bus/subway/streetcar. i tow my groceries home in a trailer behind the bike. in fact i just bought a new one today. i do all my shopping this way. i didn't do it to be green. it just makes more sense than owning a car in a tax hungry place like toronto, unless you have a long commute.

You couldnt bike here in the summer.. You could though in the winter. The busses, thankfully have AC in them, so they are doable..

You can run cars on compressed air. You can run them on sunlight. We just need for people to become vendors and offer these alternative power systems to actual owners of cars now instead of just talking about it all the time.

At least Toyota are getting the hint that people want alternative forms of propulsion for their vehicles. gm didnt listen. Now they are bankrupt, shutting down cities, and Toyota cannot handle all the orders for Prius's, (180,000+ orders in May alone for one car).

Bill

Willy
July 14th, 2009, 20:54
I'm ready for $20 a gallon. ;)

cheezyflier
July 15th, 2009, 05:26
I'm ready for $20 a gallon. ;)

when fuel hits $20/gallon you won't be able to afford to buy hay

bill your right, could never live this way in arid-zona :icon_lol:

Willy
July 15th, 2009, 15:40
when fuel hits $20/gallon you won't be able to afford to buy hay