PDA

View Full Version : iPhone X-Stand modding for sleeves

Lionheart
July 12th, 2009, 18:04
Hey guys,

For those that have the X-Stand for their iPod Touch and iPhone, you will notice that if you purchase a sleeve for your unit, it no longer fits in your neat, expensive little X-Stand, (if you purchased one).

I have written the company to see if they would be thinking of doing a sleeve version X bracket that people could order so they can safely mount their iUnits on these unique little stands with no worries. No news yet.

In the mean time, I found that with a pair of needle nose pliars, with rubber end caps 'off', I can nicely 'bend' the corner up-bent taps outwards a bit, replace rubber endcaps, and the iPhone with sleeve once again fits in the X-bracket. It doesnt fit as well as when you have 100% of the sides of the rubber knobbies, but at least it fits 'in' the bracket now instead of laying on it half diagnoally with one corner trying to ride over the edge of one of the rubber tabs.

If you do this, be gentle. The aluminum is very soft and half brittle as well. To many movements and you might snap off a corner. Lastly, when you bend the tab, try to bend only the tab itself, and not the arm its bent from. If you bend the arm too, (easily done) then just bend the arm back with the pliars after bending the tab outwards.

Also, for those that get the loss of adhesion from the bottom rubber grip pads, try dusting them. I was ready to purchase some addon furniture rubber stickies from mine, as it was sliding around all the time, where as before it gripped so well, I could push buttons on the unit without it scooting. I found (while tab bending) that it had some dust buildup down there. Didnt look like much, but after wiping it, the adhesion was back.

:d

Thought I would share that...

Bill