PDA

View Full Version : CFS1 Still Lives

minuteman10
July 12th, 2009, 11:29
~S~ All...The forum is getting more and more quiet! The game is still alive and well. The AAC still gathers every Sunday beginning at 11A.M. for a fun-filled mission. Anyone can play and there are no requirements to join the Squadron. If you have the urge, feel free to stop in. We meet at our TS channel for a furball to warm up and then the formal mission takes place...usually lasting for 2 hours or so. If you haven't experienced Multiplayer...you're really missing out. Here is a link for the necessary programs (Comms, Head to Head,etc.). We would really like to grab some of you fellows from the sidelines and get you involved in the game. Post questions here or at our forum and someone will aid you in getting setup. Our members range from the West Coast to Britain and Sweden (Elsa doesn't fly too well, but nobody really notices!!!...nice pair of goggles, you know?). Take the game out of your drawer and have a go at it...you'll be hooked!:applause:

http://www.freewebs.com/alliedaircorps/essentialfiles.htm (files)

http://alliedaircorps.proboards.com/index.cgi? (our forum)

*posted on Mission days* (Team Speak channel)

Ivan
July 12th, 2009, 17:43
Yes, CFS still lives. Some of us are even still doing development for it.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 12th, 2009, 19:20
so much to learn,
so much to do,
so little time.

have you ever noticed the opening screenie?
there's an American gunner with an A20 Havoc dressed up in D-Day stripes behind him.
then, to top it off, there are only two add-on A20s of marginal quality available.

oh, the humanity
oh, the cruelty of it all

minuteman10
July 13th, 2009, 06:08
Ivan is quite correct. We have a beautiful Homebase, an armada of ships, and of course, the Refuel Zones addon. Our members design and build scenery, aircraft, panels, and missions to keep things quite interesting!!! The base game is only the starting point...it has grown into a much greater presentation....

Pratt&Whitney
July 13th, 2009, 15:57
I see smilo also has a hankerin' for some HAVOC!

There aren't many A-20's around, but oh, what a gal!

And no, CFS is not dead. :gameon:

Keep 'em flyin' guys :ernae:

Ivan
July 13th, 2009, 17:02
The A-20 is on my build list, but no idea when that will happen. Sorry, Smilo.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 13th, 2009, 18:23
don't worry about it.
it's on my list, too.
the difference is that I have no AC production skills,
so I have to learn the program first.
although, I was able to find some very nice drawings by John Alcorn.

Ivan
July 14th, 2009, 17:26
Hey Smilo,
It really isn't all that difficult to build an aircraft. I also have some pretty good dimensional drawings for the A-20. My reason for building it would be to have a VERY fast low level bomber. How good are the drawings you have? Perhaps we can share?

The actual visual model is what most folks get hung up on, but relatively speaking, the model isn't any more difficult than the rest of it. I probably spend more time on the AIR file than anything else.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 14th, 2009, 18:43
my reasons are pretty much the same.
plus, I really like the look of it.
not to mention, I think it would be a fun AC for Multi-Player missions.
I have several sets of drawings, but I prefer those by John Alcorn for the Historical Aviation Album.
I just zipped them up.
send me an email so I can get your address and I will send it to you.
if you can't remember mine, PM me.

Ivan
July 15th, 2009, 03:18
My email address isn't a secret.

Ivan1GFP@yahoo.com

smilo
July 15th, 2009, 15:17
check it...
is the fcc. one still active?

so, today while working I was thinking about the above post.
I guess I am one of those that is "hung up on the visual model",
especially in Multi Player.
imagine being in or seeing a formation of stock bf110s, do17z or what the game creators call a mosquito.
it is a major distraction, to say the least.
way back when, I wanted to be an AC builder just so I could replace some of the God awful stock visual models.
I never got around to it, other things came up. but I was able to find some decent textures which helped a lot. remember P J Dunbar?

anyway, another thought popped up. I recall downloading AC that were "frame rate killers".
the question is, just what makes a model a frame rate killer and how does one avoid it?

minuteman10
July 15th, 2009, 17:38
...stay low to the trees.....:173go1:

Ivan
July 15th, 2009, 18:06
Hello Smilo,
Got your email. Haven't schlepped the file over to a machine with a zip utility though. FCC email is still active. I still work there. I remember PJ Dunbar. He is one of the best aircraft painters I know.

My reasons for starting to build aircraft way back was about the same as yours. The stock models were just plain ugly for the most part and back in those days, most folks building using AF99 were not terribly good at it. I believed I could do better. It also came at a time when my hobbies needed to be instantly interruptible because of kids. Plastic models interrupted meant dried out paint brushes and trying to adjust parts after the glue had set.

I originally figured I would build about a half dozen models, get bored and quit. I believe I have about 25 aircraft in various states at this point and still haven't quit yet. I have only released about half of them though. Each project teaches me something new. There are perhaps another dozen planes out there that I want to "own". I used to start building as soon as I could and the results were not great. These days, I spend the time doing a LOT of research before starting anything and I believe it helps.

If you have the inclination to build a plane or two, don't give up. Also, don't pick a complicated project. There are plenty of attractive single engine planes out there. If you need some help, I'll be glad to assist.

- Ivan.

Ivan
July 19th, 2009, 18:20
Hey Folks.
Here is my current project: a Mitsubishi A6M2b Model 21 Zero.

With this project I tried out a technique I have been working on to adjust the high altitude engine power to adjust the service ceiling. It seems to work:

Altitude Power Speed
500 915 293
2500 931 303
5000 952 309
7500 973 316
10000 995 324
12500 1001 335
13500 961 332 <-- Critical Altitude.
15000 906 330
17500 820 325
20000 735 321
22500 656 315
25000 583 311
27500 517 305
30000 452 298
32500 392 281
35000 339 261

Service Ceiling: 36500 feet
Climb Rate: 3485 ft/min @ Sea Level
Climb Rate: 3695 ft/min @ 12500 feet

Still have a few things to tune, but the basics are there.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 19th, 2009, 20:06
as usual,
the class of the field.

Ivan
July 27th, 2009, 17:04
Thanks Smilo.

Glad we're back.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 27th, 2009, 17:32
yeah, me too.
I was going through major withdrawls.

so I've been thinking about what you said above...
how do you feel about doing an Ivan's First Class A20.air file?

Ivan
July 28th, 2009, 13:19
A-20 Air File? Don't know about First Class, but I will give it a shot. I figure I'll need one anyway eventually.

BTW, the Flight Testing for the A6M2 Zero had to start all over again. There was an issue that came up during testing of general handling when I tried to plant the propeller into the ground. Hopefully things won't change much but there is certain to be a change.

- Ivan.

Ivan
July 28th, 2009, 15:37
Hey Smilo,

Check your email. BTW, which version of the A-20 are you interested in? I have done nearly no research on the plane other than to observe that it is one of the fastest around at low level.

- Ivan.

smilo
July 28th, 2009, 18:02
I got the message....downloading it now.
thanks.
most of my best drawings are for the G-30, but I am leaning toward an earlier model. I like the plexee nose and the simpler aft gun station.
but honestly, I haven't decided yet.

smilo
July 28th, 2009, 18:17
I just had a quick look at the Boston Pilot's Notes.
what an excellent gift!
thank you
I am anxious to spend more time with it.

langshan
July 29th, 2009, 17:41
Smilo,

It's been a long time, but I will be able to start to fly once again in the second Sunday in September. See you again for a few hours. =S=

smilo
July 31st, 2009, 12:44
Smilo,

It's been a long time, but I will be able to start to fly once again in the second Sunday in September. See you again for a few hours. =S=

yes, it has been a while.
time flies when you're having fun...or getting old.
I had heard from MM that your schedule would be changing in September.
we'll be looking forward to seeing you on Sunday's.

minuteman10
July 31st, 2009, 19:57
~S~ Lang...I never knew that you were a retired Master Chief! I just met a fellow at a 4th of July BBQ....retired master Chief with over 10,000 hrs in P-3's...had some interesting stories to tell...

Ivan
August 2nd, 2009, 18:58
Hello Folks.

What is the commonly accepted default bomb load in a DP file for a bomber? From what I can tell, the typical bomb load for a A-20 is about 2000 pounds. It CAN carry up to 4000 pounds though.

Does it seem reasonable to have 8 x 500 pounders as a max load with a default load of 4 bombs? Or is it better to default to 0 (zero) bombs?

BTW, I figured the A-20 flight model would not be terribly different from the B-25, but what I am finding is that although it is a lot faster, it doesn't move quite as well. Also, even though both aircraft have the same basic engine, the altitude ratings are quite different with the altitude advantage going to the B-25. Time to do some engine tuning!

- Ivan.

hubbabubba
August 2nd, 2009, 23:12
As I was about to give you my take on CFS1 bomb loads, Ivan, I decided to investigate a bit and made some interesting discoveries going along. This is, I think, worthy of a thread of its own.

I will do it tomorrow.

T'ill then, good night:sleep:...!

smilo
August 3rd, 2009, 07:43
actually, there has been a discussion regarding the bomb loads for RAF662 Bombers.
the B17G and the Lancaster both can carry a max of 10. this doesn't seem correct since the Lanc was know as a heavy lifter.
so, apparently, the load outs have been chosen by the designer.
personally, I would like to see more accurate load outs.
this might be a stupid question, but, by default load, do you mean the load out when an Aircraft is selected?
if that is the case, then I would vote for 0, with up to the proper maximum available for selection. just like the Fuel level % can be selected.
speaking of fuel, is there a way to add a belly tank for extended range?
I have read that one was available, but it had to be dropped before the bomb bay doors could be opened. :eek:

btw, I agree that another thread or two would be in order.
not that this isn't a good one, but I'd say we are just a bit off topic.

safn1949
August 20th, 2009, 08:54
Man I love flying multiplayer,time is my enemy.I also have to see if CFS-1 works on 64 bit Vista,although I have 2 small XP machines at the girlfriends house....hmmmm,the possibilities.:USA-flag:

minuteman10
August 20th, 2009, 08:58
...~S~...anytime safn...we play every Sunday....

safn1949
August 20th, 2009, 09:51
small problem,my Kapersky AV says there is a Trojan in the tailgunner zip and won't let me download it.

Needless to say I don't need that grief so could someone look into this and get back to me? I tried both versions.

hubbabubba
August 20th, 2009, 15:43
Hi safn1949:wavey:!

small problem,my Kapersky AV says there is a Trojan in the tailgunner zip and won't let me download it.

I went to http://helcatsquadron.tripod.com/Tg2NoSplash.zip and dowloaded the no-splash version. (this is a direct link btw...:kilroy:)

I have Avast on my machine, and it was not flagged on its way in.

I also scan the ZIP file again once downloaded, nothing.

I then went... on Kaspersky online file scanner ( http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus );

If you would like to scan your entire computer for viruses, please use our free virus scan (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner).

You're clean!

Kaspersky Anti-Virus has not detected any viruses at this time in the file you submitted.

However, only a fully-functional antivirus solution with regularly updated virus definitions can ensure comprehensive protection against malware. If you do not have an antivirus solution installed, you may wish to consider purchasing one today.

Download a trial version (http://www.kaspersky.com/trials) of Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus in our E-Store (http://www.kaspersky.com/store)
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus from a certified partner (http://www.kaspersky.com/buyoffline)
Scanned file: Tg2NoSplash.zip Suspicion:
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/script - OK
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/registry - OK
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/tg2.dll - OK
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/Modules\0x5cai_playr.dll - OK
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/Modules\0x5cmpchat.dll Suspicion: Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/Modules\0x5cmultiplayer.dll Suspicion: Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe/English\0x5cFrontUI.dll Suspicion: Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk
Tg2NoSplash.zip/Tg2NoSplash.exe Suspicion: Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk
Tg2NoSplash.zip Suspicion: Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk

If you want my honest opinion, Kaspersky AV is having a "false positive". Can't you get around it? Who's the boss; Kapersky or YOU?:173go1:

To others; scan the link with your own flavour of AV and report here. It would be appreciated.

Ivan
August 20th, 2009, 16:35
Hello SAFN 1949,

Those are beautiful rifles. Tendency to break firing pins though. I need a stock for one.

- Ivan.

smilo
August 20th, 2009, 20:25
Man I love flying multiplayer,time is my enemy.I also have to see if CFS-1 works on 64 bit Vista,although I have 2 small XP machines at the girlfriends house....hmmmm,the possibilities.:USA-flag:

just my opinion...
don't' bother with the 64bit vista, go over to the girlfriend's and pickup one of the xp machines.
even the smaller of the two will cause you less grief than the vista machine if you want to play CFS.
not to mention there will be no joystick problems with xp.
also, TG2 is not a requirement for Multi-Player, just a nice enhancement.
just wondering, are you getting the TG2 virus warning with the vista machine?
if so, I rest my case.

safn1949
August 20th, 2009, 20:55
Hello SAFN 1949,

Those are beautiful rifles. Tendency to break firing pins though. I need a stock for one.

- Ivan.

Hard to find a stock,try Gun Parts Corp.I had a rebuilt 8mm.

I figured it was a false positive,I will download the file on an XP machine when I get home tomorrow and I already decided to run CFS 1 on her XP machine,thanks for the quick answers.

Ivan
August 21st, 2009, 13:03
Gun Parts / Numrich lists the parts but has never actually had them in stock in recent (about 8-10 years) memory. At least not when I checked. I would not mind getting one of the repro stocks for the 8 mm but have never seen them sold. Actually I would like to find someone who can duplicate from an original. The original is unserviceable but with some patching can serve as a pattern.

- Ivan.