PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best T-6 Texan

hey_moe
July 12th, 2009, 04:31
I have always liked the T-6 and I was wondering if any of you guys know of a good one, doesn't matter if it payware or freeware...Mike

Kiwikat
July 12th, 2009, 04:45
I have both the Alphasim and Sky Unlimited versions. I prefer the Alphasim version hands down. The racing variant modification (of the AS model) is also excellent. :medals:

I flew the SU T-6 for about 10 minutes, then removed it my hangar. I didn't like the flight model or soundset. Though I think the SU version has a superior VC.

I still want a better version of the T-6 with 3D gauges and all the latest FSX treatments. The Texan is my favorite aircraft in real life.

IanP
July 12th, 2009, 04:48
Did Alphasim ever fix the typos on the gauge graphics? They always bugged me rather a lot.

I'm also interested in this thread, because I still want to buy myself a Harvard to potter between WW2 RAF Fields buzzing the locals.

Kiwikat
July 12th, 2009, 04:50
Did Alphasim ever fix the typos on the gauge graphics?

You mean "cilmb" isn't right? :icon_lol:

No, I don't believe so :(

jmig
July 12th, 2009, 04:51
I have the Sky Unlimited version and like it a lot.

hey_moe
July 12th, 2009, 04:57
Not a bad price for twenty bucks.Have you tried the other ones the guys are talking about.
I have the Sky Unlimited version and like it a lot.

jmig
July 12th, 2009, 05:05
Not a bad price for twenty bucks.Have you tried the other ones the guys are talking about.

Nope. I am not a fan of Alphasim. I haven't purchased anything from them since the F-5 episode.

To be fair, I am not a big fan of the T-6. I bought this one mainly because Helldiver really liked it. I figure he knows T-6s. Besides, it was a small company and I thought I would support them.

Roger
July 12th, 2009, 05:12
Wozza's in the process of building one. I saw it in the up and coming freeware thread.

SpaceWeevil
July 12th, 2009, 05:14
I have both the Alphasim and Sky Unlimited models and I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. I think the Alphasim just edges it in external modelling and textures, while the SU has a more detailed cockpit, a proper Harvard II model and (so far as you can ever really tell) a more accurate flight model. I like them both, but I fly SU much more - and it is more than $10 cheaper. I think we've yet to see the definitive Texan / Harvard.

jeansy
July 12th, 2009, 05:15
try this http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/Alphasim_T6_review.htm

IanP
July 12th, 2009, 05:23
That was the older FS9 Alphasim model, not the current FSX native one - if it was the newer one, I would be giving answers on this thread, not asking questions on it (and wouldn't need to buy an FSX native Harvard! :icon_lol:)

(And thanks to Nick for the quick update to that review so you can read the text properly, too. ;))

Cirrus N210MS
July 12th, 2009, 07:33
Sky Unlimited has the Best AT-6

By FAR

http://sites.google.com/site/cirrusn210ms/Home/ARMY%20BLACK%20GOLD.jpg?attredirects=0
http://sites.google.com/site/cirrusn210ms/Home/warbird%20adventure%20049.jpg?attredirects=0

Cactuskid
July 12th, 2009, 09:30
I bought the SU version last week when Flightsim Pilot Shop had it on sale for 1/2 price. I got it for $10.48 US and I think it was worth every penny of 10 bucks! The VC is pretty good, but the flight dynamics can stand a little tweaking. I'm going to work on that this week. I would have spent a lot more time in her, but I just got the Duke for my birthday and can't stay out of it!

It's a good thing I'm on vacation... So many airplanes; so little time... :wiggle:

txnetcop
July 12th, 2009, 13:06
I think SU is the best and I have flown in one. I think it is the most accurate and has a great VC. There only a couple of minor changes I would have asked for as a beta tester but they are minor. Great job, Jesse
Ted

Txmmy83
July 12th, 2009, 13:09
I have both the Alphasim and Sky Unlimited versions. I prefer the Alphasim version hands down. The racing variant modification (of the AS model) is also excellent. :medals:

I flew the SU T-6 for about 10 minutes, then removed it my hangar. I didn't like the flight model or soundset. Though I think the SU version has a superior VC.

I still want a better version of the T-6 with 3D gauges and all the latest FSX treatments. The Texan is my favorite aircraft in real life.
Racing Variant modification where ?

BR
Tom

hey_moe
July 12th, 2009, 14:35
Da story of my life....missed it by a week..lol:bump:
I bought the SU version last week when Flightsim Pilot Shop had it on sale for 1/2 price. I got it for $10.48 US and I think it was worth every penny of 10 bucks! The VC is pretty good, but the flight dynamics can stand a little tweaking. I'm going to work on that this week. I would have spent a lot more time in her, but I just got the Duke for my birthday and can't stay out of it!

It's a good thing I'm on vacation... So many airplanes; so little time... :wiggle:

Kiwikat
July 12th, 2009, 15:07
Racing Variant modification where ?

BR
Tom

http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Documents/Bonus%20Multiplayer%20Racing%20Missions.pdf

Instructions to make it are in there. :ernae:

X_eidos2
July 13th, 2009, 03:02
Sorry for getting to this thread so late. I was out of the country with no internet connection for two weeks.

I thought future plans for the SU Texan/Harvard should be in order.

On the workbench right now is the Korean War FAC T-6G. Visibility switches will allow you to turn on/off the external antennas, smoke rockets and their launchers and pylons. The guy in back also has his own visibility switch. These switches will allow the FAC to be re-configured to a regular T-6G variant. One difference between the fs9 and fsx version will be a visibility switch for the prop spinner, allowing people to make their model more closely resemble the plane they have at their local museums.

To give you more bang for your buck the add-on add-on package for the T-6G will contain a 105mm howitzer with animated gun crew, explosion marker, and a FAC driver crew that fits into Gary20's jeep model. All of these extras will be added at no additional charge, but will only be available through purchase of the FSX volume 2 package.

The second variant in the FSX volume 2 package will be a SNJ model with a tailhook. The add-on add-on for this plane will be a model of the USS Monterey, which was a WW2 carrier modified for training Naval Aviators in the 1950's.

FSX volume 3 will be an update of the two Reno racers that are in the FS9 package. Mary Dilda is no longer flying Two of Hearts, so an alternate pilot figure and skin will be made available for that variant (SNJ6)

FSX and FS9 volume 4 will have a T-6 modified to match the armed French T-6's flown in Algeria. A Harvard Mk IV will also be included.

fsafranek
July 13th, 2009, 10:00
I like both payware versions. I was a big fan of the freeware da Silva Brothers and Warwick Carter versions as well.

I've been a T-6 fan since I built my first of several Monogram models of her. Plus I worked in Publications and later PR at North American Aircraft (Rockwell B-1B days) so I like anything and everything North American. They were throwing out piles of redundant photos, manuals, and such of older NAA products one day so I and another guy grabbed everything we could. That has really paid off on projects over the years, especially the T-6.

I'm partial to the Alphasim T-6 for obvious reasons. As the painter (kick ass paint kit, huh? :icon_lol: 100 repaints and counting) I worked very closely with the modeler to pick the versions included and to make them accurate. But I lost control when it came to the cockpit and panels.

I don't have the SU version but have seen many screenshots and if I had known it was on sale last month I would have bought one. I like the Alphasim exterior but I like that a lot more work went into the cockpit of the SU version. As a certifiable ARC I'm all about the details and they are there.
:ernae: