PDA

View Full Version : F102.. Spelunker?

Boomer
July 11th, 2009, 13:36
I was testing Rons Fantastic F102 when I came across one of the mesh anomalies we see from time to time. Normally I switch out of whatever aircraft I am in into a helo & fly to the bottom of it to see just how deep it is.

This time I thought I would try it in an aircraft & what better one that the one I was presently in. I knew I could make it to the bottom easy enough but getting back out would be the trick.

Here are a series of shots of that trek. As you can see I was riding the speed break into the hole & all the way down. As I dove I positioned myself as close to the one end of the hole as I could to give me room to pull out of my dive. When I figured I was as low as I dare I started to pull out. I did black out & switch to external view to see where I was going.
Amazingly at that "low" of an altitude FS must model the air as extremely dense because as I lit the burner & started my journey back up I was accelerating. Once I started getting close to the surface again I started loseing speed

This little "stunt" was the most fun I have had in FS in a very long time & Rons beautifull F102 was icing on the cake!

Roadburner440
July 11th, 2009, 15:01
Certaintly an interesting adventure. I have never seen a hole like that in the mesh. Always seen the raised lakes or plateau type of effect. That is some excellent piloting skills at the bottom though. I probably would have hit the wall. :monkies:

Skywolf
July 11th, 2009, 19:19
Is the F-102 out?

Boomer
July 12th, 2009, 05:32
Steve, I have seen 3 or 4 of these around the FSX world. This one is 60-80 miles North West of Edwards. These shots were from my 1st attempt at it. After I made this post I went back & tried it 4 more times. 3 of them I hit the wall.

Skywolf, no it isnt released yet & no idea when it will be.

Meshman
July 12th, 2009, 07:23
What I can make out of the coordinates, this is sitting out in the Death Valley area. And there ain't no lakes to speak of out there. If you see it again could you get lat/lon? With the current economic state the People's Republic of Kalifornia is in, me thinks we found the sink hole where all the money went towards...

Dimus
July 13th, 2009, 00:45
What I can make out of the coordinates, this is sitting out in the Death Valley area. And there ain't no lakes to speak of out there. If you see it again could you get lat/lon? With the current economic state the People's Republic of Kalifornia is in, me thinks we found the sink hole where all the money went towards...

I've seen this too while taking a stroll over death valley. It is exacly like that and thought I was over area 59 instead. I did not dare to go inside though.

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 02:53
Not yet but is should be released soon.
Is the F-102 out?

tigisfat
July 13th, 2009, 08:21
I'm pretty sure that the original didn't have that much power. I'm not a big fan of overzealous air files. I won't be getting this one. Thanks for the heads up!!

Boomer
July 13th, 2009, 08:40
I'm pretty sure that the original didn't have that much power. I'm not a big fan of overzealous air files. I won't be getting this one. Thanks for the heads up!!

Please reread my original post.

Amazingly at that "low" of an altitude FS must model the air as extremely dense because as I lit the burner & started my journey back up I was accelerating. Once I started getting close to the surface again I started losing speed

I assure you at "normal" altitudes it performs as you would expect it.