PDA

View Full Version : Making AI boat plans

dswo
July 11th, 2009, 09:40
This came to me as a private message:

I'm a novice at using the boat compiler - and pretty much anything AI generated.

I'm just trying to figure out how to set a route for one of Javier's Nimitz or Ike carriers based on time departing a certain point and heading on a path - i assume it is based on lat/long, and i do have google earth installed. Unfortunately for me it's just not that obvious. If you have any advice to offer, or direction if it does not take much of your time, i would certainly appreciate it.

I'm working with your Oahu carrier bgl now.

Thanks and know that I appreciate any assistance.
I'm going to start a thread on this in the public forum; that way whatever we learn together will become public knowledge, and hopefully we'll get several people making boat plans.

1. What you need:

a. Google Earth
b. Lamont Clark's AI Boat Traffic Compiler (AIBTC), which you can download here: http://lc0277.nerim.net/boat/aibtc02.zip, with instructions here: http://lc0277.nerim.net/boat/

You need to STUDY Clark's instructions. It took me several read-throughs, and several experiments before I got my first working BGL.

2. Draw a PATH using Google Earth. Start where you want to start! How do you draw a path? Look for the icon near the top that has three little boxes and a plus sign. When you have it like you want it, give the path a NUMERICAL name (like 1942). This may well be different from the FILE name (e.g., RoutesOahu.kmz) that you save it under. I missed this part when I was reading the documentation, and it took me awhile to get it straight. Not sure what I'm talking about? Play with it. Not sure about the difference between PATH names and FILE names? Look at my KML file (part of the attachment) and see: there should be two paths in that file, 1941 and 1942.

Private messager: I think this is the step you need to do next.

3. Save your path in KMZ format. (KML works too, but apparently KMZ works more reliably.)

4. Clark's program requires two other files, and it expects to find them all in the same folder. It also expects the files to follow a certain naming convention, described in Clark's instructions. (I ignored this and it didn't work.)

5. The Boats file is easy. You get the boat name from the TITLE line in the boat's sim.cfg file.

6. The Routes file is weird. I still don't understand it completely. Start with Clark's template. Notice, though, that you are going to be using your path number, not Clark's. This is the number that you gave the PATH back in Google Earth, not the filename in which the path is saved.

Remember, all traffic times are local, not GMT.

7. Once you have your three files, point the compiler to the folder with your three files as the source, and a scenery folder in FSX as the target. For the target, I use a special folder, "Nimitz Carrier Traffic/Scenery," which is under "Addon Scenery," so that I can turn it on and off easily. (If you do this, you'll need to add the folder in the Scenery Library. Don't forget that the new folder needs a scenery subfolder, and that your files will go in that subfolder.)

But you can also put traffic files in existing scenery folders. Do what you know how to do.

8. Try to compile a plan. The error messages will usually tell you what went wrong. Chances are pretty good that you're forgetting to do something that's specified in Clark's instructions.

9. If you successfully compile a plan, test it. Again, all traffic times are GMT, not local, so in setting up your test flight, specify the GMT time, not the local time. Fortunately, the time and season screen lets you input GMT directly.

Ok, you've done all that and it still doesn't work. My suggestion is to post what you do have, esp. the three component files, here and let us work on it together.

Attached is the most recent version of my Oahu bgl. With Clark's compiler, you can DECOMPILE this back to its three component files, including a Google Earth .kml file. One of the problems I noticed was that my second boat, a helicopter destroyer, was too close, or even on top of, the Nimitz. Solution: create a second route, with end points slightly different from the first, and space out the timing interval to 7 minutes instead of 1.

wilycoyote4
July 11th, 2009, 10:41
I shall give it a try. I think my problems with the program are solved by your instructions. I shall report a bit later after chores from the real world.

Many thanks for making this post. :medals:

OK I'm now compiling my own bgls and must try to make a more worthy route in a more useful area. With dswo around Oahu, ananda off the coast of Northeastern Scotland, and the San Diego bgl by (?) ---ooops, forgot---- there are some good bgl carrier traffic routes. I'm no match yet but now I'm in the ball park.

THANKS DSWO

I hope Skippybing succeeds in making a boat radar, hope that name is right, lol.

wilycoyote4
July 11th, 2009, 17:37
I didn't save the path by a number. After it is saved then I can rename it as Routes. I save as kml.

ananda
July 12th, 2009, 00:08
3. Save your path in KMZ format. (KML works too, but apparently KMZ works more reliably.)

The AIBTC help file states:

KML is more stable than KMZ. If you encounter problem using KMZ routes, please save your file as KML instead.

wilycoyote4
July 12th, 2009, 00:51
Found it. Skippybing made the San Diego bgl, post #96 on the Nimitz released thread. :medals:

dswo
July 12th, 2009, 03:22
The AIBTC help file states:

KML is more stable than KMZ. If you encounter problem using KMZ routes, please save your file as KML instead.

Thanks for the correction.

limjack
July 12th, 2009, 07:22
Thanks dswo, now i am enticed to give this a shot when I have some time. Good thread!

Jim

limjack
July 13th, 2009, 08:21
I read through the instructions but I have no experience playing around with files like this. Where is a good place to start to learn about this or do I just keep reading the TTtools info and aibtc info and hope it will sink in.

1st question...When I bring up google earth and go into the "new path" I draw the area on map for the rout of the ship. Then give it a name...what do I do with the other tabs on the page "description,style,color, view and altitude). I see that it saves it to my documents after that.

2nd question...is the Boat traffic compiler a tool to open bgl files (since if I try to open these in the scenery area it will not allow me) and view it as well as edit it?

I am lost but do want to understand (it is time for brain exercising 101).

As a start I just want to put a ship (such as the Nimitz) in Tacoma Washinton and move it up to Seattle.

Thanks for any help and brain goo is awaiting knowledge.

Jim

dswo
July 13th, 2009, 08:49
Where is a good place to start to learn about this or do I just keep reading the TTtools info and aibtc info and hope it will sink in.

Everything you need to know is on the AIBTC page, except maybe the basic theory: the Boats file defines which boats can be used in a Plans file, and how they will be referred to there; the Routes file (.kml) defines the lat/lon points that will be followed in the Plans file. Boats and Routes are both used by the Plans file, which puts everything together in the form of a schedule.

If it helps, think of the three files as linked tables is in a relational database. And if that last sentence sounds alien, ignore it.

1st question...When I bring up google earth and go into the "new path" I draw the area on map for the rout of the ship. Then give it a name...what do I do with the other tabs on the page "description,style,color, view and altitude). I see that it saves it to my documents after that.You can ignore all the other stuff on that page. What matters is the route's name, because that's how the Plans file will refer to it. Again, the .kml file name that you end up using is not necessarily the same as the route name. What the Plans file needs is the route name.

2nd question...is the Boat traffic compiler a tool to open bgl files (since if I try to open these in the scenery area it will not allow me) and view it as well as edit it?Yes, AIBTC can also decompile (and in that sense "open") existing traffic files in .bgl format. It can't do this for all .bgl files, just traffic ones. The results will be the same three files that were used to create the traffic .bgl.

limjack
July 13th, 2009, 09:08
Ok, now I have a better snapshot of what I am dealing with. I am sure once I get it, I will say..whats the big deal at least I hope!

Appreciate the guidance
Jim

wilycoyote4
July 13th, 2009, 13:13
The screenshots may help. In the first I name the path 1234. It must be a number. 4 digits seems the pattern. I'm making a white path. White is default. I open colors and white is indicated but I'll change it to red. Next I'll change thickness. Color and size are ONLY FOR THE WAY THE PATH WILL APPEAR ON GOOGLE EARTH.

Now I right click on the path to bring up a menu. I "save place as" to get a window to save it as 1234 and kml and to the desktop where I have my AIBoat folder.

Then I put 1234.kml into the AIBoat folder into a new folder named Seattle (or your choice of name) then I rename 1234 to RoutesSeattle.kml and now one of the 3 files needed for compilation is ready.

A second file is the boat file which is easy and here is one, open notepad and put---
AC#1,30,"CVN68_3"
That's for one boat, one carrier to keep it simplest here. 30 is the boat speed but you can change it. The Boats.txt file is now ready. I would name it BoatsSeattle.txt if I want to do so.

The third file is Plans.txt which can be tricky. Here is a beginning suggestion. Decompile another bgl and use the basic parts until you get the idea.

Here is one from a dswo's bgl.
AC#1,B8641,40%,24Hr,17:00:00,20:37:18,1941,normal, ferry,16:00:00,19:37:18,1941,reverse,ferry
The number must be changed to the number used for your saved path.
AC#1,B8641,40%,24Hr,17:00:00,20:37:18,1234,normal, ferry,16:00:00,19:37:18,1234,reverse,ferry

For Seattle this time is 17:00 GMT and 10 am local Seattle time for the start near Tacoma.

This path is only a sample for illustration so make your own, give it your own number.

limjack
July 13th, 2009, 15:20
Thanks Wily, that helped a lot. I am posting a screenshot of error message when I go to compile into traffic files. Got the same error message when I tried the Oahu rout. I am running Vista. Any ideas.....almost there I think.

Jim

limjack
July 13th, 2009, 15:23
Error cannot read traffic:C:/Program files?Microsoftgames/Microsoft flight simx/scenery/world/scenery/ TrafficTacoma.bgl (access is denied)

wilycoyote4
July 13th, 2009, 20:25
I must guess ----
You have a boat txt and kml correct.

Your plan text may be wrong. I learned from dswo so he probably is a better judge. But I'll try with my lesser knowledge.

Either send me a pm or post here your boat text, the number of your kml file, and the plans teext file line.

I assume you have one of Javiers carriers in the boat text.

limjack
July 14th, 2009, 05:08
AC#1,b7000,40%,24Hr,17:00:00,20:37:18,7000,normal, ferry,16:00:00,19:37:18,7000,reverse,ferry

I used 7000 as my number. I do have the boat trxt and kml correct. Even when I downloaded dswo Ohau rout, it is giving me the same error message so it must be something else. I have to head out now to the work place and put in my time and will be back later.

thanks

Jim

ananda
July 14th, 2009, 06:57
AC#1,b7000,40%,24Hr,17:00:00,20:37:18,7000,normal, ferry,16:00:00,19:37:18,7000,reverse,ferry

Hi Jim,

Your return leg starts before the outbound leg and overlaps. Try changing 17:00:00 to 12:00:00.

George

ananda
July 14th, 2009, 07:01
Error cannot read traffic:C:/Program files?Microsoftgames/Microsoft flight simx/scenery/world/scenery/ TrafficTacoma.bgl (access is denied)

Are you sure that is where your world scenery is? For a start, all "/" should be "\" and you cannot have a "?" in a folder name.

dswo
July 14th, 2009, 07:05

This sounds like a permissions problem. I don't have Vista, so am not much help on particulars, but I wonder if that folder is write-protected (or write-protected for your user status).

A test: try making another folder your target, maybe one that you have created for the purpose of testing.

wilycoyote4
July 14th, 2009, 13:33
I agree with dswo at this point. Try saving the bgl to the desktop----as the destination location.

limjack
July 14th, 2009, 16:27
I agree with dswo at this point. Try saving the bgl to the desktop----as the destination location.

Yep, it is protected or something so must be a vista thing. Sent it to my desktop and it converted it with no issues and no error message.

Jim

limjack
July 14th, 2009, 16:31
Hi Jim,

Your return leg starts before the outbound leg and overlaps. Try changing 17:00:00 to 12:00:00.

George

Thanks ananda, will change that around.

Jim

limjack
July 14th, 2009, 16:44
You guys are the BEST!!!!:applause: You have taught me well and I have a visual of a carrier running the planned rout!!!:jump:

Jim

dswo
July 14th, 2009, 18:42
Yep, it is protected or something so must be a vista thing. Sent it to my desktop and it converted it with no issues and no error message.

At least three possible solutions then:

As administrator, unprotect the original folder.
Save the new file in another, unprotected scenery folder.
Create a new folder, with "scenery" subfolder, and add it to the scenery library. E.g., "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Nimitz carrier traffic\scenery". The new files would go in "\Nimitz carrier traffic\scenery" but "\Nimitz carrier traffic" is the folder you would add in the scenery library. Same as any other add-on scenery...

limjack
July 14th, 2009, 19:52
I will play around with it but the easiest way for now will be just to save the bgl file to desktop in a folder and then drag it into my scenery folder. I also will give choice number 3 a shot.

Jim

wilycoyote4
July 15th, 2009, 11:57
I hope others who have made AIBoat files will post them here. I'll post one soon. I'm now able to add other ships on the same route but farther back behind the carrier. I'm now working on a second route next to the first route, for another ship, as a better convoy.

CrisGer
July 20th, 2009, 07:48
i have been eagerly following this thread and the research to make good routes for the carriers and carrier task forces as naval is one of my main interests.

Has anyone made a good task force route? thanks so much for all this hard work, i am about to re install my FSX so i am in the research phase currently. much appreciate all the great sharing.:ernae:

wilycoyote4
July 27th, 2009, 15:09
Here is another bgl going around Oahu but farther from the shore. There is a carrier, a cruiser and a destroyer, namely Javier's Nimitz class and 2 default ships.

Dswo's bgl is posted in this thread and is an excellent bgl that is a great companion to this bgl. Both circl Oahu. My thanks to dswo for his instructions.

Tulkas
August 28th, 2009, 07:16
Thank you very much for this thread guys, at first I was not able even to compile due to errors.

Now I got a compiled .BLG but the boat is still not showing up. I would be glad if someone can take a look and tell me whats wrong because I am not able to find out.

The traffic is from Aalesund to Trondheim (Norway), espectacular zone with montains and fiords especually if you install the freeware scenary that you can find here www.flightsim.no. Vigra is the closest airport, just on sight of the spot where the boat should start the journey.

BoatsNimitz

AC#4,30,"CVN68_7"

PlansNimitz

AC#4,B4321,40%,24Hr,05:30:00,10:47:34,4321,normal, ferry,04:45:00,10:02:34,4321,reverse,ferry

I have my boat traffic density slider set up to 50%. The folder structure where the .BLG is saved is:

....Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Nimitz Alesund\Scenery

I attach the .BLG and the original .KLM file

Thanks

Tulkas

Tulkas
August 28th, 2009, 07:20
Humm... I get an "invalid file" error messege when I try to attach the files... if some when ones to help, I will send them by email

Thanks

Tulkas

wilycoyote4
August 29th, 2009, 18:14
.......the boat is still not showing up. ......The traffic is from Aalesund to Trondheim (Norway), espectacular zone with montains and fiords especually if you install the freeware scenary that you can find here www.flightsim.no (http://www.flightsim.no). Vigra is the closest airport, just on sight of the spot where the boat should start the journey.
BoatsNimitz
AC#4,30,"CVN68_7"

PlansNimitz
AC#4,B4321,40%,24Hr,05:30:00,10:47:34,4321,normal, ferry,04:45:00,10:02:34,4321,reverse,ferry

What is the file name of that scenery, please?
I don't know if anyone has tried to help but I can start. I guess you have other default ship traffic working correctly ---if not, then a traffic conflict with an FS9 traffic bgl may be present.

AC#4 -----perhaps it should be AC#1 unless you have 4 ships but I see one although this may not be a factor.

Are yout times local Norway or GMT?

ananda
August 29th, 2009, 23:39
PlansNimitz

You have an overlap of the times for the two legs. Change the second start time to 12:00:00.

dswo
August 5th, 2010, 17:00
Lamont Clark's website has gone dark. But you can still get AI Boat Traffic Compiler, with documentation, at fs-shipyards.org: http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=263.

GaryGB
October 8th, 2011, 15:33
Hello:

Updated URL for Lamont Clark's (aka "lc0277") "AIBTC" and other info... hosted now on a French FS website:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/boat/

BTW: For those trying to adjust highway traffic speeds, also see:

spb2xml : Decompiler for SimProp Binary (SPB) binary files to XML:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/software.html

Other related lc0277 FS web pages:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr (http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/)

PS: FSX default scenery objects thumb nail / GUID pages are here:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

Hope this helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

PHo17
October 9th, 2011, 00:18
and I downloaded the following ai-carrier package:

AlaskaCarrier123.zip - Fictional Carrier traffic in Alaska
"This add-on give you naval traffic for some ships and carriers around the Alaska
For those carriers: Ark Royal, Clemenceau and USS Nimitz v2"
By Hanimichal (Hanibal__111)

I took off from an airfield AK28 or AK29 (don't remember for sure) and there was nearby on some bay one of these carriers. Very odd! - it was jumping and turning like hell sometimes nearly upside down (for minutes). When I got nearer it suddenly disappeared (sank!). I have never seen an AI-boat behave like that. Who/what can explain what's the matter with this traffic?

Pekka

Edit: I put that USS Nimitz v2 also as AICarrier's carrier and it behaved there the same way. Other AICarrier's carriers (and other boats) seem to begave normally.