PDA

View Full Version : Calling all resident Thud Drivers/ River Rats

Quicksand
July 11th, 2009, 06:45
I recently bought a DVD collection containing a huge number of historical films, most produced by the Air Force and Army during the early Vietnam years (1966-1968). One of the documentaries is titled "There Is A Way." It follows a group of pilots through their experiences as part of the 421st TFS during 1966. It is a very candid hour-long look at what life as part of this squadron was like, on and off duty. Several one-on-one interviews with the pilots give the viewer a chance to see their professionalism, high morale in spite of monumental odds, and their sense of humor in spite of everything else. The one thing that frustrated me was that none of the pilots was identified by neame, and their nametags were just a little too fuzzy to read in the video. I wonder if any of out '105 community could shed some light on this film. It also has some of the best footage of Thuds doing their thing that I have ever seen. I searched the web for a link to this film, but came up empty. Hats off to the River Rats.:guinness:

Quicksand
July 11th, 2009, 06:53
Update! Found a link to this awesome site.

http://www.burrusspta.org/thud.html

Moses03
July 11th, 2009, 14:05
I had always thought of the thud as a smallish fighter/bomber until I saw one up close. The 105 is massive!

Quicksand
July 11th, 2009, 15:07
I think it was, and may still be (?), the largest single seat fighter ever built. She truly is a large plane.

Ferry_vO
July 11th, 2009, 15:37
It could very well be the biggest single engined fighter ever built, but the F-15 and Sukhoi Flanker are both bigger fighter aircraft.

:)