PDA

View Full Version : Make it go away...........

Captain Kurt
July 9th, 2009, 18:20
Short of changing the landclass and some other stuff I simply do not know how to do, is there a way to remove the graphic tile for one of the stock airfields which was placed in a bogus location?

I am completing new bgl.s for the Hollandia Airfield complex in New Guinea (Hollandia Drome, Sentani Drome and Cyclops Drome) located where they should be. They will be part of my upcoming campaign as the 9th Fighter Squadron flew from there for a period in 1944, While the 475th FG flew from Sentani right next door.

CFS2 has Hollandia located right on the ocean edge and it is a distraction to see an airfield located there once the correct location is installed.

PS a big thanks to MaskRider for his tutorial. I think I've got his blended airfield method working pretty well with FSSC now.

watchdog22
July 9th, 2009, 22:31
Sorry KC, I have no idea but its good to see you back. Didnt someone remove the Midway strip thru GSL tinkering? I enjoyed the Condor Legion campaign immensely after having someone sort out a terrain hiccup for me so I will look forward eagerly to this one,
Cheers

MaskRider
July 9th, 2009, 23:51
Looks good!

You can get rid of the stock runway by installing an exclude bgl (using FSSC) for the stock location- this will also remove any elevation distortion caused by the stock runway. The scenery objects associated with the stock field can be removed (if you haven't dumped them already) using Martin Wrights GSL Developers pack or MB's built in GSL Editor. If all you want to do is change the Land Class value for the stock airfield location- then G2k or EZLandclass should work. I can't tell from your screenie if the area you are concerned about is actually in the picture.

Captain Kurt
July 10th, 2009, 16:25
Thanks ugys.

MaskRider, first of all, thank you for sharing your airfield building knowledge. I'm not sure I could have figured it all out without your help.

But, I confess I don't know what you mean by an exclude bgl. I have tried placing a bgl with a poly that matched and blended into the surrounding forest, but the runway shows through like the poly wasn't even there. I am obviously missing something. Please educate me further, Master. (meant seriously BTW)

PS no, the offending Hollandia location is not in the view. It is on the coast which is at the very top of the picture. The water in the picture is Lake Sentani.

MaskRider
July 10th, 2009, 17:56
Hiya Kurt.

Are you using FSSC?

Forget about using a poly to "hide" stock runway.

Go to the stock location (or else increase the size of your new airfield that is closest so that its borders include the stock location) and create a new scenery file. In the scenery properties window check all of the boxes in the "Scenery Exclusion" tab.

When you compile the new scenery you will get an exclude bgl that will make the stock runway (but not the GSL scenery objects) disappear.

To get rid of the dirt patch at the original location, the best, easiest and most effective way is to change the LC value for that location. Use G2K in combination with EZLanClass to do this. You might even be able to use EZLandClass by itself- I am not sure. G2K will generate an LC raw (source) file and EZLC will get it compiled for you. Just fill in the squares with "33" which is the default CFS2 LC value- tropical rain forest.

You are at the stage where you simply need to learn how to change the LC values. Its simple once you get the hang of it.

Stayu in touch.

Chris

PS You can get G2K and EZLC thru links on my website.

Captain Kurt
July 10th, 2009, 18:34
HI Chris,

I am using FSSC but I can't find any tab like that. It's version v.1.02.0007. Do I have an old version that does not have this feature?

Thanks,

Kurt

MaskRider
July 10th, 2009, 19:56
Your version is even older than the one I use- version 1.2.15. The latest version in version 1.5.11. I was assuming you were using v1.5.11. In version 1.2.15 the exclude options are selectable in the Scenery/Header Properties window. This is probably where they are in your version, too- down near the bottom right with the check boxes labeled: "Visual Scenery", "VOR,ILS" and "NDB". Check all three. When you compile, the runway will be gone.

Chris

Captain Kurt
July 10th, 2009, 20:18
Thank you Chris,

I found a download for 1.5.11. WOW! What a difference. I'm gonna have to learn how to use the tool all over again. I tried selecting all of the exclusions in the header window on the old version but no dice, it didn't work. Then I loaded the new version and it worked like a charm.

U da Man. Thanks so much. Now I have to start playing with G2K and EZlandclass and see what I can learn.

First though I have to complete the campaign I am working on. These airfields are essential parts of the whole progression of events for the 9th FS. Next stop is the Biak airfield complex. I know you did Mokmer and Borokoe but there were 3 airfields virtually side by side; Mokmer, Borokoe and Sorido. I'd like to represent them together. Also I think your fields represent the Japanese installation and not the USA developments after capture because the runways are fairly short? Runways were lengthened by the USAAF and a road linking all three together was built. If you Google Earth you can see the outlines still there of the latter two. Mokmer was developed into a modern airport and the old outlines have been obliterated.

MaskRider
July 10th, 2009, 20:36
Yes, my Biak airfields represent the Japanese version. The only one I would add- just for my own satisfaction would be Owi Island. It's layout is still very discernible on GE.

Captain Kurt
July 11th, 2009, 10:06
I just checked Owi out on Google Earth. You are right, the runways still really stand out. Escpecially since they have not been used since 1945.

Sorido and Borokoe were used by the Dutch after WWII until Indonesia's independence. At that time there were't buildings all around the area. The runways were blacktopped so a lot still remains, as you can see in the pic, but even so Owi is more visible.

What are you working on now Chris, if anything?

MaskRider
July 11th, 2009, 10:46
I'm playing around with Rhumba's beautiful new mesh and land masks- rebuilding old and building brand new Dutch East Indies arifields. Right now I am concentrating on the Vogelkop peninsula airfields- just getting started really. Built two brand new ones- Moemi and Ransiki (Moemi north). Added the Anggi Lakes. Am currently redoing my old Monakwari from the ground up.

I also have a beautiful Manila and Luzon project on a slow back burner as well as a complete Rabaul rebuild. Just horsing around.

Here are a few screenies- sorry some are so dark. I tend to do my sight seeing late in the day.:)

Captain Kurt
July 11th, 2009, 15:52
Pretty impressive. I'll especially be excited to see a great Manila and Luzon scenery. Rabaul Town looks like it will be an excellent scenery too.

Thanks again for your help.

MaskRider
July 11th, 2009, 16:32
Well, don't let anything I'm doin slow you down. The stuff I do nowadays is pretty slow and easy. Don't know when/if any of these little buggers will ever be ready for public distribution. Just experimenting and playing around.

PS: I wasn't trying to toot muyy own horn describing the Manila Project as "beautiful". But it is. What makes is so is the beautiful Luzon mesh that Jean Bomber made to go with it.

Captain Kurt
July 12th, 2009, 07:25
Chris,

Thanks, I won't slow down, but I am still going to hope you release Manila nd Rabaul. You don't need to be so humble BTW, your work has been pretty stellar. Me, I just hack it out so I can have a place to fly from. My fields are utilitarian, not works of art with the care lavished on them that you do.

Case in point, here is Mokmer Airdrome as developed by the Americans - close to finished, since we first exchanged messages about the field. BTW, it looks like I will have to do Owi Island Airdrome too as it is highly visible on approach and departure from Mokmer. I didn't realize it was so close. That's Owi Island in the second pic.

dvslats
July 12th, 2009, 08:45
Chris,

Thanks, I won't slow down, but I am still going to hope you release Manila and Rabaul. You don't need to be so humble BTW, your work has been pretty stellar.

Hi Captain Kurt,
I have to agree with you on MR's work. What he can knock out in a couple of days...jeeez. But in the same breath, your job on Mokmer Airdrome looks pretty dang good also. You can never have too many places to fly from. The more the merrier as the ol' saying goes.
Nice stuff...

MaskRider
July 12th, 2009, 14:51
Yes indeed- very nice. Great work. It can get very time consuming can't it??:d. I have a hard time leaving it alone once I get going on a new project.

Recently I try to make as much of the airfield layout as I can using VTP1 polys generated with G2k.

With Monakwari, I started out by rebuilding the coast line- since there isn't one with Rhumba's Mesh/Mask combo. I do just enough of that so that there is shoreline within visual range in all directions.

Using images from Exploring Google Maps and Google Earth I add the close up detail of the shoreline for the harbor areas. Then I add in the roads and little habitated/disturbed earth polys. Then I add the building/trees etc.

Here is overhead of Monakwari as it stands right now. You can go to the default CFS2 location and see the difference. I would include a screenie of it myself but it is too much trouble to deactivate and reactivate all of the related scenery folders and files to make it happen!

The coords are S00* 53.54' E134* 02.95'

My original DEI Monakwari has the airfield mislocated and orientated. Back in the days that I made it I didn't have all of the information available to me that we have now. I had to guess an awful lot.:)

Chris

Captain Kurt
July 12th, 2009, 18:07
Thank you guys.

Chris, you are so far above my head it's ridiculous. Very nice work indeed. I think I will just continue to plug along here at low altitude where I can function.

You are right, it's very addicting. I've just about finished Borokoe Airdrome shown here, which sits next to Mokmer. The roads to nowhere will link into the Sorido airfield, next in line to be created.

MaskRider
July 12th, 2009, 18:27
Very nice, Kurt. Biak was a fun project. Your effort here far outstrips my original Biak offering- by a long shot!

I can tell that you are in the groove- moving along like crazy. You've got your Fahrvergnugen going.

Captain Kurt
July 13th, 2009, 20:38
Thanks Chris, here is the 3rd in the complex - Sorido Airdrome. I'll get Owi next then it's back to adding missions to the campaign.

After the 9th left Mokmer, they went to Tacloban, then San Jose and finally Lingayen where they were when the Japanese surrendered. Fortunately for me - you did all of those fields. :ernae:

MaskRider
July 13th, 2009, 21:19
Very nicely done, Kurt!

Captain Kurt
July 17th, 2009, 16:10
Thank you MR. Here is a pic of the final airfield in the area came out - Owi Island Airdrome. Now back to mission building.

Captain Kurt
July 17th, 2009, 16:12
Oops, double post. I hate it when it (me) does that.