PDA

View Full Version : ETO Surprise

Wildfowler
October 19th, 2008, 10:46
I flew the first mission as a USAAF Bomber pilot in 1943 flying a Havoc. Took off in appalling weather, flew to the furthest extent of the the aircrafts range, destroyed the target and a train before getting home.
Weather slightly improved but as I touch down I see an explosion at the end of the airfield, then another and another, they were not aircraft crashing but bombs! over head i glimpsed aircraft up in the clouds.
Never had to land in an air raid before. Totally immersive!
Well done the ETO team :applause::applause::applause:

O-1Driver
October 20th, 2008, 05:36
Thanks WF, we really appreciate those positve reviews. There is a lot of stuff in ETO that still remains undiscovered by many.:d

O-1

BeauBrummie
October 20th, 2008, 07:08
destroyed the target and a train before getting home.

That's what I like, the vast improvement in chances of finding targets of opportunity on the way home.

Beau

O-1Driver
October 20th, 2008, 07:51
BB,
Just be sure the target of opportunity does not have a G_flakcar with the new 37mm gun.:d

Rabbit hunt turns in to a Bear hunt.

O-1

Daiwilletti
October 20th, 2008, 15:54
Yikes! O-1, those red balls of fire will probably scare the c**p out of me :isadizzy:.

I remember the impact of early modifications to flak, like high altitude flack, and better sounds, back in '05. It made sweat break out on my palms as I guided the b-25 over the drop zone...