PDA

View Full Version : Is my computer even Safe??

winslow33
July 9th, 2009, 13:29
Hello.

I just got a new computer drop my way. I bought an Ethernet crossover cable and hooked it from that machine to my laptop. I then configured Internet Conection Sharing on both the computers (XP on the laptop, NT 4.0 SP1 and W2K on the new one) so I got internet on it now, for the price of a $12 cable.

Now, that's all fine and dandy, but I'm not quite sure about one thing: My laptop is running a very good antivirus sytem (NOD 32, Malawrebytes antimalware, Norton, AND windows firewall) This being said, do I need any kind of antivirus or firewall on the desktop? Im not sure if the Acer laptop's antivirus setup will block viruses from firing into the other computer? Seems like I can save a fair bit of space if I'm safe without antivirus.

Moparmike
July 9th, 2009, 13:36
No, an ICS connection won't be covered by your laptop's AV & firewall. Basically what ICS is is a "software" ethernet bridge or switch that will route the traffic right through your laptop to the other machine. You'll still need protection on your other rig too.

Ridge
July 10th, 2009, 09:13
I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

winslow33
July 13th, 2009, 17:47
I WAS going to nuke the computer, if only to put Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on it. I tried installing XP, however, only to find the BIOS doesn't support it. Not worth the effort to firgure out how to flash it.:icon_lol: