PDA

View Full Version : GPS on Separate Laptop?

LTCSZ
July 9th, 2009, 12:38
OK, I will try to ask this question as simply as I can; What is involved, or is it even possible, to run the FSX GPS on a separate laptop? I don't want to invest in any fancy connection boxes or hookups...Can I somehow just link FSX from my main computer to my laptop to display the GPS in real time? I know there are ways out there to link to Google Earth etc., but I want to keep it simple...Thanks for your help...

Steve in Kansas

atf300
July 9th, 2009, 13:13
fswidgets gmap works no problem and is easy to setup, i run it on my really old laptop , but its a quasi moving map , dont know if thats what you want ?

Wozza
July 9th, 2009, 22:57
Hi
I think you can use FSWide by Peter Dawson
Fsx has simconnect Ive never gone onto it but there are a few app's floating around like this
http://www.codeplex.com/fsxget/Wiki/View.aspx?title=%20HowTo%3a%20SimConnect%20Network %20Configuration&referringTitle=Help%2c%20FAQ%2c%20HowTos

also a while ago there was a program for fs9 that allowed you to use a palm hand held device as a gps/movng map
its doable but I have no idea how :)

Cheers
Wozza

jmig
July 10th, 2009, 03:37
A guy over at mycockpit.org built a stand alone Garmin 530 GPS that he runs through a usb connection with the main FSX computer.

He uses Reality XP's Garmin 530 for the software. If the Reality XP will run on a second computer I can't see why the FSX Garmin 500 wouldn't. However, I have never tried to do so.

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 03:55
You can, but as stated above you need sotware that will allow you to share the laptop screen ..

But you can also just bye a cheap small monitor and run FSX in Dual View too and be able to drag many guages across easily too...

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 09:27
I may go with the cheap smaller monitor...Sounds like an idiot proof way to do it...(That's what I need!)...Thanks for the info...

Steve in Kansas

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 09:33
I may go with the cheap smaller monitor...Sounds like an idiot proof way to do it...(That's what I need!)...Thanks for the info...

Steve in Kansas

Here's a good start at new inexpensive ones. I think some have free shipping too..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%204027&name=%2475%20-%20%24100

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 09:37
Just to be sure: The ability to run a separate monitor is generic within FSX, right? I won't need any addition software? Pardon the ignorance level and thanks for the help!

Steve

Slund
July 10th, 2009, 09:48
I've just ordered a Mimo 7' USB monitor and plan to run the Reality XP Garmin 530 on it, this winter I will incorporate the monitor into a proper GPS unit with working buttons and rotaries. I'll let you know how it works if you like?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0026/7132/products/710_horz_medium.png?1247082575

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 10:00
Just to be sure: The ability to run a separate monitor is generic within FSX, right? I won't need any addition software? Pardon the ignorance level and thanks for the help!

Steve

10-4 Steve,...Its all done thru the Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalist...

Get a monitor and we'll be happy to assist with set up..Its really straight forward and easy to do...

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 10:00
Thats a cool little item...

I've just ordered a Mimo 7' USB monitor and plan to run the Reality XP Garmin 530 on it, this winter I will incorporate the monitor into a proper GPS unit with working buttons and rotaries. I'll let you know how it works if you like?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0026/7132/products/710_horz_medium.png?1247082575

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 10:06
Steve,,

One thing...Whats your video card??

that will determine how big a second monitor you can actually run?????

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 10:14
I have an nVidia 768mb 8800 GTX card...Now another idiot question...Do I have nVidia Control Panel lurking around somewhere? I don't think I have ever seen an icon for it...Sorry to be so numb...And thanks for the help!

Steve

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 10:45
Never mind...I found Control Panel...Duhhh...Now All I need is a monitor...I think I might be able to borrow one from a friend until I purchase a new one...Soon as I do, I will be back for guidance! Thanks again,

Steve

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 11:14
Hmm...That means you have never even set AA or AF in Nvidia to run FSX ....

That should be done too... Look here for that set up...http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3023

Your Vid card is great for two monitors...... No problems there.....

Here is my Dual set up..I run ATI..But I have also run Nvidia too....

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 13:27
No, I have never used the nVidia Control Panel...Thanks for the tip...I will mess around with it tonight...Going to see my friend tonight, so I will ask him about borrowing a monitor...I will keep you informed and will be back for sure when I get a second monitor...Really appreciate the help...

Steve

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 13:50
Tried the nVidia control panel...Seems I have picked up a bit of stuttering...Which settings should I play with to try to start reducing them? Thanks,

Steve

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 13:56
Did you see the E mail I sent you Steve with the settings???

To kill the stuttering (Nvidia should have not caused that, but) go into your FSX config and change this..

Texture_Bandwidth_Multiplier.... Its default at 40.....

Try 10.....fly a min..You can tell on take off looking out eighter wing to see if its controlled the stuttering

Then try 60..70..80..90.. One at a time..one of them will kill the stuttering...

Did you change any FSX settings in game?

rvn817j
July 10th, 2009, 15:10
There is a freeware program called XConn that allows FSX to output a standard NMEA signal through a USB or serial port which can then drive a moving map program. I use an IPAQ HX4700 as my moving map screen (along with my moving map software called 'Anywhere Map' [which is payware for real world pilots]). It is great to fly a route in FSX, check out the departure, enroute and approach, and then fly it for real. You could use XConn with any GPS device that is driven by the NMEA data standard.

LTCSZ
July 10th, 2009, 17:07
I didn't change any settings in the game...I will try the bandwidth thing...My friend sold his extra monitor two days ago! Arghhh...Think tomorrow I will hit the local walmart to see if they have any cheap monitors...If not, the link you sent earlier looks good...Thanks again,

Steve

Kiwikat
July 10th, 2009, 17:10
I've just ordered a Mimo 7' USB monitor

I wish I could fit a screen that big somewhere in my house. :isadizzy::icon_lol:

Naismith
July 10th, 2009, 23:21
Hmm...That means you have never even set AA or AF in Nvidia to run FSX ....

That should be done too... Look here for that set up...http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3023

Your Vid card is great for two monitors...... No problems there.....

Here is my Dual set up..I run ATI..But I have also run Nvidia too....

Looks like you have some serious computing power there, is that two Antec towers I spot? I hope that orange thing on the shelf is a flashlight though :isadizzy: lol

harleyman
July 11th, 2009, 00:08
They are Thermaltake cases...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

Mine is a E8600 and the other is my wifes Q9650

And YES...That is a flashlight(LED) LOL :bump:

beatle
July 11th, 2009, 12:01
I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I just launched a Windows Azure cloud based web site with some sample Silverlight SimConnect applications, including a couple with tracking on a map. The site is http://beatlesblog.cloudapp.net . You do have to jump through a couple of hoops in order to setup your machine to support connections from Silverlight SimConnect clients, these are described on the home page of my site.

You can run this site either on the same machine as FSX or on another machine across the network.

Tim
http://beatlesblog.spaces.live.com

harleyman
July 11th, 2009, 13:32
Intresting Tim.......:kilroy:

beatle
July 11th, 2009, 14:10
At the moment I'm just trying to show some of the possibilities that are opened up by being able to write a Silverlight SimConnect client, hoping to attract some additional developers to try it out :->. I think this could be real useful to Virtual Airlines, they could have a Silverlight SimConnect client that their pilots use while flying VA flights, and it can log pretty much anything you can access via SimConnect, send it up to the VA server, grade the flight (either in the client or on the server - think business logic :-> ), etc. I'm hoping to attract some devs who already know how to do all the web side storage and whatnot that I don't know how to do yet to take the concept further.

I'm eventually planning on turning the BBTrax app on the site into a FlightAware style app, but I have to finish learning WCF first :->

Tim

LTCSZ
July 12th, 2009, 15:00
Harleyman or Anyone: I have been doing some research in preparation for buying a second monitor to use for GPS, radio stack, etc...One of the things mentioned frequently is the fact that, when using a second monitor running another window, the frame rate of the display drops considerably...Have any of you experienced this? Thanks again for all of your help...

Steve

harleyman
July 12th, 2009, 15:31
Never heard of that..

My big FSX computer used to have a ATI 4870X2 Vid card..Now FSX hated the X2 cards for my system...

So..I bought an Saphire 3850 card for it and run a 24" and a 19" off that card all day long with no ill effects at all..( see earlier pic)

LTCSZ
July 12th, 2009, 15:36
Thanks Harleyman...Still shopping for a monitor...Will let you know when I get it...Thanks again...

Steve

harleyman
July 12th, 2009, 15:41
You will after installing your second monitor need to set the properties up again but this time for both (resolutions and refresh rates) But its simple..

I also have a program that I will pass to you that will allow you thru its user interfaceto put seperate desktop pics on each monitor...

Here it is...http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

LTCSZ
July 12th, 2009, 15:55
Was also wondering: I saw something called a "VGA to DVI Adapter" that would allow an older monitor to be plugged into my DVI output...Would this hurt anything?...Heck of a lot cheaper than a monitor! ($3.85) I might be able borrow an older monitor from work for a while...But, I wouldn't want to harm my video card...Thanks again,

Steve

harleyman
July 12th, 2009, 16:05
Steve...That is a very common practice...those adapters come with the purchase of every Video card you buy today...I bet I have 25 of them here...LOl

Go ahead and do it..Its fine and done all the time...It will just allow an older VGA monitor to connect to a newer DVI video card.....

LTCSZ
July 12th, 2009, 16:54
Got to thinking...Went down in the basement and looked in the original box from Dell that my monitor came in...Guess what I found...A VGA-DVI adapter...One of those things that comes with a new computer that you don't really pay any attention to...Cool...Now tomorrow I will see if I can borrow a monitor from work...The IT guy owes me a favor...

Steve

harleyman
July 12th, 2009, 17:03
Thats great...

I edited my post above...I meant to say that adapter will connect an older DVI monitor to a newer DVI Vidio Card(not monitor)..

But you are good now..All you need is a monitor... Make those IT guys pull through for you ...:applause: