PDA

View Full Version : FSGlobal 2008

abrussell
July 9th, 2009, 10:46
Can anyone tell me if this product creates airport plateaus in Fsx similar to what FSGenesis does?
Tks
Bruce

Meshman
July 9th, 2009, 11:22
Most all addon mesh will create plateau effects, to some effect.

Here's a little secret as to why the default airports don't have plateaus... When Microsoft makes their mesh they go into the areas that surround the airports and eliminate higher resolutions. So while the default U.S. mesh is 38 meters, it's a l-i-t-t-l-e lower resolution around the airports. So even if you add FS Global, which is 38m for the U.S. AFAIK, it will cause plateaus around the airports because the high res stuff hasn't been wiped out all around the airports.

Sorry for spilling MS's no-so-secret methodology to cure their flat runway problem.

PRB
July 9th, 2009, 13:30
I have FSGlobal2008 installed. Yep, it places some airports on top of plateaus (and others inside ditches.) Probably for the reasons explained by Meshman.

harleyman
July 9th, 2009, 14:27
I own the full versions of FSGenesis Mesh for FSX and FS9...

I uninstalled them months ago for that reason and never looked back...

Now with Justin all but done for now it seems that his mesh will have to wait for a while before he begins to work on it again...

Meshman
July 9th, 2009, 15:36
But what do you do if the airport really is on a plateau??

I'll update the pic after I "work" on the area some more. Any guesses...Mason?

And what the FSG version looks like...

abrussell
July 9th, 2009, 16:03
Thanks for the replies. I've been using Fsgenesis for several years now, but it looks like V2 for Canada isn't going to happen any time soon. I thought I would try Fsglobal but if it creates the same problem there is no point.
Bruce

CG_1976
July 9th, 2009, 16:13
I just flew around Cuba and im not getting this plateau issue with FsGlobal nor FsGenisis or the two freeware meshes. Hum interesting subject of study.

abrussell
July 9th, 2009, 22:21
I don't think Cuba has the same extreme elevation changes as British Columbia. I have been mostly bush flying recently and all the small strips are either on a plateau or at the bottom of a ditch. Makes for difficult landings.
Bruce

CG_1976
July 9th, 2009, 22:40
Not to the extreme of British Columbia, But it does have some tricky bush strips in the mountainous areas. I should fly a bit more in Canada, im missing some great bush high altitude fun.