PDA

View Full Version : Wanna go Mach 2,5?

some1
July 8th, 2009, 12:59
http://x1.xtremeprototypes.com/en/addon.asp

The feature list looks very promising, native FSX model, detailed systems, great VC with 3D gauges, and B-29 carrier as a bonus :)

http://x1.xtremeprototypes.com/common/images/screenshots/gallery/images-lg/52_x1_FSX.jpg
http://x1.xtremeprototypes.com/common/images/screenshots/gallery/images-lg/34_x1_FSX.jpg
http://x1.xtremeprototypes.com/common/images/packages/x1-cockpit-6-lg.jpg

ryanbatc
July 8th, 2009, 13:13
Looks nice but not my type for 45 smackers...

FAC257
July 8th, 2009, 13:13
How cool is that! :applause:

I've looked at their X-15 packages several times, but I couldn't get past the fact that there was no way to realistically launch the thing.

FAC

some1
July 8th, 2009, 13:18
I've looked at their X-15 packages several times, but I couldn't get past the fact that there was no way to realistically launch the thing.

Same as me, plus the X-15 max speed is limited to 4,65 Ma due to FSX engine limitation. This older bird doesn't travel so fast :)

CodyValkyrie
July 8th, 2009, 14:02
Ok, I have been eyeballing their stuff for a while, but I may just have to get this...

Roger
July 8th, 2009, 14:09
Now if the '29 was pilotable, with vc ...well...

EMatheson
July 8th, 2009, 14:17
Pity there isn't an FS9 version... I have been wanting a good FS9 Bell X-1 for ages...!

hey_moe
July 8th, 2009, 16:19
Looks like a great plane Mike:ernae:....I need to save up some more food stamps.....a tad bit rich for my wally.

BananaBob
July 8th, 2009, 17:07
Looks cool but too high for me right now. :ernae:

Prowler1111
July 8th, 2009, 18:00
love the concept!
Prowler

stansdds
July 9th, 2009, 01:59
Now if the '29 was pilotable, with vc ...well...
I was thinking the same thing.

jeansy
July 9th, 2009, 02:17
i just want the b29

Lateral-G
July 9th, 2009, 04:45
It looks sweet. I love flying the X plane profiles but the price point is just too high.....

-G-

JoeW
July 9th, 2009, 04:49
Yea Moe ....... If I could find a seller that would take food stamps I'd be buying a lot more.

Edit: Or if they would give me my 80% medicare senior discount.

Boomer
July 9th, 2009, 10:39
Thanks for the HU!

This right up my alley. I will definitely be getting this!

JIMJAM
July 9th, 2009, 10:51
I own the X-15 and this x-1 would probably be more enjoyable.
The 15 you blast off and in no time you are at the edge of space. There you just flop around,suspended with no control and on my 32 inch screen almost become sick. All you can do is hit Y, orient the craft and lower your alttude till you have some control. Only real challenge is flirting the highest altitude you can achive and still have some control. It is fun to take off at Edwards and arrive at area 51 a few minutes later. However like the Space Shuttle it does grow old quickly. If you enjoy high speed dead stick landings the 15 is for you.

cheezyflier
July 9th, 2009, 12:04
i know that glennis was a little later, but when i was a kid, chuck was one of my heroes because of his fearless flying in the rocket plane

some1
July 10th, 2009, 11:30
I bought it, it's a very detailed, but also very specific airplane that may not suit everyone's tastes. Still has limitations. Because rocket engine is simulated by a jet engine, the low altitude performance (below 30000ft, 'low' has a different meaning with this aircraft) is exaggerated, and the carier aircraft is just an unpowered mockup that can be turned on for visuals. There are some saved flights with airplane set already at the launch altitude over Edwards AB if you want realistic scenario.

Apart from that, great and interesting airplane. The manual is very detailed, illstrated and with description of every switch in the cockpit. There's one fictional model with gun and sperry autopilot (X-1C), other models included in the package are historically accurate. Textures and visual model are very good, although some parts in the VC could be made better (canopy frame is ugly). Can't say much about FM, but I can tell that it doesn't have warp drive and won't reach escape velocity. Price a bit high, but I understand that this is a very unique and niche aircraft, so they must counter low sales with higher price.

No screenshots but there are plenty here: http://x1.xtremeprototypes.com/en/gallery.asp

Could this thread become sticky? I think this addon deserves a little attention like other FS releases*

*No, I'm not related with devs of this plane in any way :)

mike678
July 10th, 2009, 12:58
Hi some1,

Hope you can answer some questions for me:

1. Is the B-29 carrier part of the X-1 model that just vanishes when you drop, or is it a separate AI aircraft that you can watch as you fall away? After launch can you come back and zoom by it?

2. Can you position the carrier at the correct location, altitude and speed to replicate actual mission launches?

3. How hard is it to reach mach 2.5? I would hope that you have to fly a very precise flight profile to reach the height and speed records.

Overall the screenshots look great. If I can count on spending a lot of time perfecting my flight profiles to duplicate historic missions then I would say the price is worth it - especially since it seems that there is a lot of depth to the systems simulation.

Thanks for your feedback!

Naismith
July 10th, 2009, 14:57
Lot of money for something of limited funtionality.

some1
July 11th, 2009, 00:36
To answer your questions Mike:

1. Well, to be honest, I have some problems with displaying this b-50 carrier but I don't want to blame devs until I check if everything is right with my system and I'm doing everything as I should. But to my current understanding, the carrier is a part of 3D model, you select special "x-1 with carrier" from the "select aircraft" menu, there's no AI. So it's there just for visuals. Due to the complexity, Ctrl-E shortcut doesn't work, however there's a hidden quick start button that allows you to launch the engines quickly in flight and it's adviced in the manual to do so. Or perform a ground start, Cuck Yeager did it in reality once, but then again, the rocket is overpowered at low altitudes, so this is not very real.

2. you can position any aircraft at many place in FSX using the map menu, and there are several saved flights shipped at high altitude over Edwards, so the answer is probably yes. :)

3. I reached 2.45 at 50000ft, not sure if it's real or not. Going faster is difficult, maybe at higher alt it could be done. However, I also made a hard turn at this speed (about 20g or so) and nothing broke, and then the aircraft entered stall and started to perform some uncontrollable maneuvers, FSX physics at high altitudes are weird.

Lot of money for something of limited funtionality.

I have to agree. Moreover, it could be better (less limitations) if it had more custom coding about startup and engine operations, but then, the price probably would be even higher. So it's a very niche product.

Could this thread become sticky? I think this addon deserves a little attention like other FS releases*

I don't get it, some more recent releases got sticky immediately, and this is here for several days. Do I have to put some keyword in a thread name (like "release") or mods just don't like fast aircraft? :engel016:

Boomer
July 11th, 2009, 06:07
I flew it for the 1st time last night & I have to say that I am impressed!

While it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, for those of us that are interested in the NACA rocket program it is a wonderful add on.

Some1 did a good job telling you what is included & what to expect.
This is my perspective.
The manual is well written & actually interesting to read with many reference images.
The external model is beautifully done & I noticed no impact on frames when it & the B29 load.
The FM is believable & performs very close to historical data. (I was able to beat the altitude record by 4k ft but the top speed is almost dead on. )

This is no pleasure aircraft nor weekend flier. It had a very specific role & purpose. As such it no doubt will see limited use in your hanger. However, for those of us that have limited free time for simming it is absolutely wonderful! For example, on week days I have very little time for flying due to real life constraints. When I do fly it is usually only for 30-45mins. In that time I am looking for maximum immersion & challenge. What I will normally do is shoot traps on a CV, do auto's into tight spots with a helo or fly the proper flight profiles in the various X-15's. Now with the X-1 I have one more outlet for my limited simming time & I am delighted with it.

As for the price; It will no doubt will have a limited audience & that is represented by the price.

I also believe this should be stickied. Extreme Prototypes is doing a bang up job & deserve a little lime light.

some1
July 11th, 2009, 09:20
I also believe this should be stickied. Extreme Prototypes is doing a bang up job & deserve a little lime light.

I don't know maybe I angered administrators with my 'huge' request, that's why they don't want to stick it? I just wanted to draw a little attention to this aircraft, sorry :engel016:

mike678
July 11th, 2009, 10:49
Thanks some1 and Boomer for the quick reviews.

much appreciated.

lucas81
July 11th, 2009, 14:55
Thanks guys for making it sticky,
imho it rally deserves to be mentioned here.
Lucas

peter12213
July 12th, 2009, 06:46
love the looks of that!

Gdavis101
July 12th, 2009, 13:53
Looks cool! But I don't think I can handle the price tag right now.