PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Outhouse.....

Wittpilot
July 8th, 2009, 12:22
I know I have posted pictures of leather jackets on here before, but this time I actaully have a purpose. *My brother who will be a freshman art manor in college in the fall. *With *pretty much slim to no work availablen these here parts currently my father and I have been pushing him to paint A-2 jackets for some $$ to buy books for school... *I told him it is a good idea and that he should work up a business plan. *This is where you come in... I am curious to what the folks here at the outhouse would spend for sending in your leather jacket in to get painted ... *My father would be helping out over the summer as well. *

They use a leather type stain, we do not know bow well this exact paint would hold up, but I have had one for almost a year with no problems... O course I make it a point not to wear it in a down pour! But for a jacket you could get on eBay for cheap, for abit more $$ you could add your own artwork.

So what do you guys think? *I have a magic number in my head, but would like to know what the public thinks...
I will post some pictures and info *when I get back home...

-Witt*

Wittpilot
July 8th, 2009, 12:24
Sorry I guess my iPhone likes astericks....

Ickie
July 8th, 2009, 12:42
I have a new thin leather vest for biking with nothing on it, how much

Wittpilot
July 8th, 2009, 14:19
lol...that is what I am trying to find out Ickie!!!

Ickie
July 8th, 2009, 14:47
How about a B-25 on the back with B-25 above the plane
and Sim-Outhouse.com under the plane

ickie on front of vest upper left side

Or on back a P-40 on back etc

Toastmaker
July 8th, 2009, 15:00
Assuming it's quality artwork (perhaps a drawn sample prior to customer approval) - I would think $50-60 bucks, at least.

Moparmike
July 8th, 2009, 15:02
One guy that I went to college with did some leather airbrushing. I had him do a "Scat-Pack Bee" on the shoulder of one of my jackets. This was a barter deal for me doing some wrenching on his 240Z. I don't remember what he did for pricing since his main focus was automotive airbrush work.
Back then I was using my brush more than I do now and I've done a few T-shirts but nothing real exotic and I was never brave enough to attack any leather.

I've seen other guys charging anywhere from $150 up to $300 for a full back patch and anywhere from $25 up to $100 for a shoulder or breast patch. All depends on how complex the artwork is.

The patch on my jacket was still looking like new 8 years after it was painted. It had a few cracks but it wasn't flaking or fading at all. This was with almost daily wear. Haven't seen the jacket in about 9 years now so I have no idea how it's holding up. Maybe the ex burned it for spite but I doubt it since it matched her Challenger 'vert.

Leather dye stands up very well if the skin is prepped good first...give it a good cleaning to remove any protectants. Neatsfoot oil, Mink oil, beeswax sealer. All of these can be removed with a good scrubbing. BUT...all bets are off if you've got a jacket that has any kind of silicone protectant on it. That stuff does too good of a job of sealing the pores and the dye can't penetrate. A new jacket is the best canvas to use since you really can't insure what the owner has used on it for cleaner/sealer.

lifejogger
July 8th, 2009, 18:45
When I was still doing the Air Show circuit I remember guys advertising painting nose art and such on the back of leather jackets from $150 to $300 depending on the complexity.

BurningBeard
July 8th, 2009, 18:57
I think the best bet would be commercial lettering enamel like "One Shot". I have painted many naugahyde spare time covers with it, also hundreds vinyl banners. It is made to last out in the elements and is tough. The only problem that you may have is if the leather stretches (which it shouldn't) which will cause the paint to break and crack. Bending shouldn't cause a problem. Another problem may be drying as some materials inhibit drying by off-gassing chemicals. This is a commercial product that is thinned with mineral spirits or turpentine, and should dry normally in 3 to 4 hours. Good quality lettering brushes are pricey, though if taken care of they will last years. I actually have some brushes in the shop that are 70 years old and still working fine.

Artist oils would probably work as well and may be easier to find, however they take a lot longer to dry.

Price would depend on the complexity of the art work, more time equals more money, minimum for the simple design should run at least $50. The more complex the design the more expensive it should be.

Beard

Moparmike
July 9th, 2009, 05:59
One Shot will definitely crack and peel off of leather. I've had it let go of urethane bumper skins before and they're a lot less flexible than leather or vinyl.

They make sprayable leather/cloth dyes specifically for garment use...it's the same formulations as the commercial dyes used for auto upholstery just packaged smaller. (I can't imagine how long it would take to use up a quart of upholstery dye just doing jackets and such! :))
Fiebing's is probably the most common brand out there...but don't go with the Acrylic stuff, that's just a paint that will wear. Stick with their alcohol-based dye.

BurningBeard
July 9th, 2009, 16:11
That urethane bumper may be offgassing something nasty that effects the One Shot. Quite often you need to prep the surface with something like enamel koat which allows the acklyd based enamel to stick to it. This stuff is usually some sort of latex clear coat. The only time I have had One Shot fail on a flexible surface is if the surface stretches (this may be happening on your bumper. I have used it for the last 30 or so years without problems. A lot of the banners I do hang across Main St. here and they are subject to wind weather and abuse. I have had banners fail to wind before the paint goes. Many of these banner have been going up for a week at a time for 20 years.

And no, I am not a One Shot distributor.

Beard

Wittpilot
July 9th, 2009, 17:50
Here are some examples taken from a brochure they've made up...
http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f7133%5fAOEMDUwAAQicSf%2be0gL4WjWh gNw&pid=5&fid=Stuff&inline=1&stationery=1

http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f7133%5fAOEMDUwAAQicSf%2be0gL4WjWh gNw&pid=8&fid=Stuff&inline=1&stationery=1

http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f7133%5fAOEMDUwAAQicSf%2be0gL4WjWh gNw&pid=16&fid=Stuff&inline=1&stationery=1
http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f7133%5fAOEMDUwAAQicSf%2be0gL4WjWh gNw&pid=17&fid=Stuff&inline=1&stationery=1

http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f7133%5fAOEMDUwAAQicSf%2be0gL4WjWh gNw&pid=26&fid=Stuff&inline=1&stationery=1

Wittpilot
July 10th, 2009, 11:33
Here is my newest one, hot off the presses... It was finished just in time to fly it on Liberty Belle last monday...

djscoo
July 10th, 2009, 11:47
Witt, I don't see any pictures in your second to last post...are the ones in your last post the pictures you were talking about?

Wittpilot
July 10th, 2009, 12:21
Funny..... They showed yesterday.... I will just take new pictures and post them... That last one of Miss Behavin believe it or not was done by my 18 year old brother.........took him 1 day... I will take better shots of the others...