PDA

View Full Version : An enlightening discussion on why you....

bearcat241
October 19th, 2008, 07:39
should never take any historical info on face value no matter how passionate or biased you are about the subject. This topic initially involves the often repeated "record" found at many informative database sites, like Wikipedia for example, regarding the Ki-100's superior performance against the F6F Hellcat over Okinawa. It then moves on to disputes of other so-called 'factual' WW2 military accounts. Good read, great forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=91733&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

sc7500
October 19th, 2008, 09:17
... aren't worth the paper they're written upon...

My take is that WikiPedia [or, FTM, ANY informational site that takes unresearched info as gospel] should not be trusted until fully researched.

I may only live CLOSE to Missouri, but I agree with their unofficial motto ~ SHOW ME !!

SC
:kilroy:

erufle
October 19th, 2008, 10:38
Since were talking about information that is often "self-reported" wouldn't any data on kills tend to be questionable? Don't misunderstand me. I'm not an expert on WWII, just a novice. However, I am an expert on collecting data and making judgments about its reliability. I'm sure the US armed forces tried to get it right, but is there any data on kills during WWII that is completely reliable?

bearcat241
October 19th, 2008, 10:56
...I'm sure the US armed forces tried to get it right, but is there any data on kills during WWII that is completely reliable?

No...we're talking WAR HISTORY here, and there's absolutely never a chance of getting ANY combat story 100% accurate in hindsight from info passed down through many hands and many generations. The stories of fighting men just have a way of getting distorted over time, some more than others.

If honest, many fighter aces will tell you themselves that they can't be perfectly sure about EVERY kill credited to them or denied. The ace system was driven by pride, competition and pressure. I don't doubt for a second that occasionally, actions committed "off-guncam" were exaggerated or went unaccounted. Avoiding this was the prime reason for the guncam in fighters, and even still some things just slipped through the net. Lots of sh*/&t happens in the fog of combat that gets forgotten, or mistaken for something else or just stretched.

Don't mean to cast any doubt on our heroes or respective war departments, but i'm a realist, not a hero worshiper and life is what it is, no matter who you are or where you're from.

bobhegf
October 19th, 2008, 11:33
I have to go with Bearcat241 on this one.Even in CFS2 after a dogfight if you can remember every detail you are doing good.:d

hewman100
October 20th, 2008, 02:49
In a sky full of aircraft more than one is likely to fire at the same enemy. If said enemy is seen to go down by both pilots, unless they are from the same unit and working together, it would most likely be claimed by both pilots.

Simple fact and one, aside from propaganda, used to explain the exaggeration of losses by both sides in the BoB. So I'm with you as well on this one Bearcat.