PDA

View Full Version : Will Power's Future Brightens

wombat666
July 8th, 2009, 04:59
Will Power's achievements as a super-sub for Penske Racing have been rewarded with a five-race package starting in the streets of Toronto next weekend. The quiet-spoken Aussie will drive the No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Dallara/Honda, teaming with Helio Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe.
In addition, Power will race on the street course in Edmonton, the road course at Infineon Raceway and on the ovals at the Kentucky Speedway and the season-finale at the Homestead-Miami Speedway.
"I knew something was coming up and I am very happy with the opportunity to get into a good car on tracks that I really enjoy," Power said at Watkins Glen. "And there are a couple of ovals in there, too. It should be a great way to finish out the season. If I run strong, you don't know what can happen with Penske next year or somewhere else. My plan is to be competitive at those tracks and have solid finishes."
Power was initially tabbed by Roger Penske and Tim Cindric to stand-in for Helio Castroneves during his sabbatical from racing. Once the Brazilian returned the racing, Power would step aside. He did so well, including grabbing the pole position and nearly winning the Long Beach race that Penske Racing entered him in the Indianapolis 500.
At Indianapolis, Power qualified ninth and scored an impressive fifth-place finish. "Indy turned out how I wanted it to," he said. "My goal was not to make a mistake all month and to finish in the top-five."
Power came close to victory at Long Beach and thought for a while that a win was possible.
The Penske organization was so impressed with his determination and skills that they have retained his services. To keep himself involved, Power has been accompanying the team to the races, attending team meetings and just staying current with the activities at the tracks.
In his spare time, Power has been working closely with a fitness expert, one that works with a number of drivers in Indianapolis. "I am very fit at the moment but I am not car fit," he said. "We won't be able to do any testing, so I will have to go straight in and get on it."
Like other drivers without a full-time ride, Power has been frustrated with non- action. "You know what you can do at certain tracks," he said. "I am hungry for competition, but I am being patient for a good reason, as I am racing with the Penske team."
Power wants to excel during the five assigned races, hoping his performance will lead to a full-time ride with Penske or another formidable team. Returning to action is the medicine that Power was seeking and he plans to make the best use of the opportunities presented. "I am not going to be a maniac, but just do the job they asked me to do," he said. "I am very grateful to Penske Racing for giving me this opportunity."

:applause::applause::applause:

Panther_99FS
July 8th, 2009, 08:32
To be honest, I thought his 1st race was going to be Watkins Glen...:redface: