PDA

View Full Version : What-woe > Google plans Chrome-based Web operating system

hey_moe
July 8th, 2009, 02:32
What cha think about this >> http://news.cnet.com/webware/?tag=rb_content;overviewHead

Cratermaker
July 8th, 2009, 04:14
I would say that for a lot of people, that is all they would need. This could really take a bite out of Micro$oft's profits.

I don't have stats to back me up, but I bet there is a rather large percentage of Windows machines that get used only for simple word processing, e-mail, browsing, printing, and downloading pics from a digital camera. They don't need a $300 OS, and they don't want to mess around with Linux. I can't say I would be happy with it's limitations if I had it on my only PC, but might be o.k. with it on my 2nd one.

cheezyflier
July 8th, 2009, 06:15
there won't be any security whatsoever with an open source o/s.
you think hackers are a pita now? wait and see what happens with this.
every 8 yr old with a web connection will be trying to steal your identity or spoof your addy to spam people

stiz
July 8th, 2009, 08:40
from what i can tell it'll be used for mobile phones and netbooks first and replace the one they have out at the moment, it'll be a long time before we see a good OS for desktops from google i reckon :engel016:

Dangerousdave26
July 8th, 2009, 08:44
To be honest if it won't run FS9 or FSX with out using a virtual windows machine I don't want or care about it.

Lionheart
July 8th, 2009, 09:57
Dang... Impressive.

I wonder if they have already designed a basic prototype running OS already.

That is a bit of a radical thing for Google to do, and still hold a board position at Apple. Not good for Apples side of things, unless there is a reason and Apple is welcoming this.

One of the cool things with Apple is that the OS is ultra fast, ultra safe, not as open and modular as windows, inexpensive, and did I mention FAST?

Whats good about Apple when they update their OS is they do not keep reinventing the wheel and they realise people cannot afford a ton of money. microsoft seem to be out of touch, (in my humble opinion).

Also, on the Apple iPhone, the OS in it was what finally sold me on Apple computers. Basically its MacOSX but on a smaller scale. It was much easier to operate then my HP Jornada PDA, which is why I purchased the iPod Touch (like an iPhone, same OS), was for the PDA software/hardware and utilities. (I now have an iPhone).

So, for this gentleman to be competing agaisnt the iPhone OS, OS3, is in direct competition with Apple. And now he wants to make his own OS, which is cool, but I think Apple need to set up some contingencies with him now, since he is no longer a board member but competitor, unless they plan to merge somehow, like offer Apples with Chrome OS. Perhaps there is some huge master plan going on behind the scenes.

I for one would LOVE (love) to see a new OS come out. My nephew was talking to me about this. Why should we have only 3 in the world. This kills creatabilities. (I would also like to see new Sim platforms arise that can do what FS does but faster and smoother).

Remember... Google has their own flight simulator in Google Earth... ;)

Bill

stiz
July 8th, 2009, 11:26
Remember... Google has their own flight simulator in Google Earth... ;)

o you mean that thing that just allows you to move the camera around? ;)