PDA

View Full Version : Processers and CPU usage

OBIO
July 7th, 2009, 00:38
Tonight while flying the IRIS Tornado F3 (Tornado something or other, freeware bird) out of Area 51 (Groom Lake), I had my Task Manager floating over my sim, watching CPU and RAM usage. CPU usage bounced between 52% and 64%, a few times it hit 68%. RAM usage was very good, of the 2 gig of RAM, I had 3/4 of it still free (using a tad under 800 Meg to run XP, FS2004 and the back ground processes).

This got me to thinking, what processes can I totally eliminate from my start up list. I don't like shutting down my anti-virus (AVG Free) or firewall (Windows default one) because my system is constantly hooked to the internet (even without being logged in). If I shut them down to fly, I forget to reboot to reactivate them fully....and I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if it does take away a bit of system steam.

Two of the processes in my start up list are for my Linksys router. Linksys EasyLink Adviser.exe and LinksysUpdate.exe. Do these need to be in my start up list? I know the router will work without them being active, but can I safely remove them from my start up list and just access them from my Programs list when needed?

I am attaching a screen shot of my Processes and CPU/RAM usage screens from Task Manager. Out of the list of processes, are there any that can be totally removed from my start up list, which ones can I safely shut down during heavy system use (simming and gaming), which ones should I not touch.

If this will help, my CPU is a P4 3.0 gig, I have 2 Gig of PC2700 RAM (DDR).

OBIO

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/OBIOandSharkbait/Flight%20Sim%20Images/Processes.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd251/OBIOandSharkbait/Flight%20Sim%20Images/CPUUsage.jpg

aeromed202
July 7th, 2009, 03:07
I like this thread Obio. I have that FS Auto start but have been reluctant to use it for the questions you asked. For now I use RegCure to limit what loads on start-up but would like to expand that list. I think it was you that recommended the Everest diagnostic SW on another thread which I found very educational, thanks.

stansdds
July 8th, 2009, 01:51
Nice thing about FSAutoStart is that if you use it to turn off something critical to your computers functioning, a reboot gets you going again and you can go back to FSAutoStart and uncheck whatever caused your computer to cease functioning.

tobob
July 8th, 2009, 07:33
Obio,

Get Ccleaner and go to tools\startup. This shows what startup processes are on your computer. You can then turn off processes you don't want to start up with windows. Be very careful with what you turn off, though in my humble opinion turning off easylink startup should not effect your system. Then you can start it up when you need it. If I don't know what something is I usually leave it alone.

Also, many times you can go into the specific applications options and turn off the "start with windows" option.

And when installing programs, sometimes you are given the option to "start with windows" or not. I also don't allow programs to look for updates automatically(another process) and I will manually update. I usually don't allow anything, then start it up when I need that specific app. And never install the internet toolbars that come with some stuff, unless you really want it. My opinion is that stuff is junk and steals resources.

If you really want to lower your processes, uninstall everything you don't use or rarely use(Make sure you know what you are uninstalling lest ye could get into trouble). Do a little spring cleaning.

How do you get your photos to show up like that in your post?

OBIO
July 8th, 2009, 13:50
tobob

I hosted the pics on Photobucket, then linked to them using the DIRECT LINK address. Doing it that way, I do not add to the storage on the SOH server and the pics can be retained at full size. Use the Insert Image tool on the SOH post window to paste the DIRECT LINK address from your image hosting site.

OBIO

tobob
July 8th, 2009, 15:02
Very cool, I will try it out next time I post an image. Now if I can remember my photobucket password. :jump:

hey_moe
July 8th, 2009, 16:22
You can go to PC Pitstop and ran a scan...it will tell ya what you can shut off and what the program that is running is used for.

OBIO
July 14th, 2009, 22:32
Went to PC Pitstop and did the full system scan. Told me that there were 2 processes that I should disable (Soundmanager.exe from my audio driver and the Java Update thingie...which I can not find how to kill). Told me that my C drive was 49% fragmented and needed to be defragged...done. Told me that my audio and video drivers were out of date and needed updated...done..and what an improvement in those areas! My 3D Video test showed that my system could play 3D video at up to 800 frames per second....for whatever that's worth. Overall, the scan showed my system to be in good health, but outdated and need of being replaced with a system less than 5 years old. But for a P4 3.0Gig, 2 Gig Ram, 512 Meg video system THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME, it does the jobs I need it to do pretty darn well.

The one thing that confused me was that Task Manager shows 38 processes, but PC Pit Stop only showed my system as having 22. Is it because Task Manager coulds each part of AVG as a separate process while PC Pit Stop counts them as being part of the same process?

OBIO