PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Prius, 180,000 orders for May

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 21:04
Hey guys and gals,

So, in todays rough economy, where car companies are falling apart, and dismantling right and left, guess who has 180,000 orders for the month of May alone, for one type of car??? lol... Toyota cannot seem to sell enough of the Prius.

The people know what they want.

My brother was telling me about this. He said, that in the top 20 cars, (I have no idea of the rating, and by who), that Toyota had 10 or 11 of those rankings, and that Ford had 2, and they were the highest of the American makers.

Crazy times..

Bill

tigisfat
July 5th, 2009, 21:16
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/1228134385111.jpg

You see, it's still a toyota. I don't care where it's manufactured. It's still a Toyota. I'll buy Fords even when they're built in Canada.

Allen
July 5th, 2009, 21:20
"What does your Toyota Prius sound like?"

"Whaw..."

:icon_lol:

VW Jetta TDI Cean Diesel. 57 MPG

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 21:25
If the 'whir' of an electric car makes you think they are all gutless, check this... 1,000 HP, zero to 60 in 2.3 seconds.. Electric.

http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/06/13-hot-eco-cars-that-go-zoom.php?page=1

Willy
July 5th, 2009, 22:17
When they make an electric pickup that'll pull a loaded horse trailer for 500 miles on one charge, then I might be interested. ;)

Piglet
July 5th, 2009, 22:37
When they make an electric pickup that'll pull a loaded horse trailer for 500 miles on one charge, then I might be interested. ;)

In due time... Many think technology will happen just cuz a politicain, or celeb snaps his fingers. That old saying... those who cry the loudest, know the least.
I'll take that VW clean diesel anyday before a Prius. What an ugly car!

If the 'whir' of an electric car makes you think they are all gutless, check this... 1,000 HP, zero to 60 in 2.3 seconds.. Electric.

400 volt socket! just what every home has...

tigisfat
July 5th, 2009, 22:47
I like it when there's no smog more than the average person, but I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how DRASTICALLY increasing our consumption of electricity can ever be a good thing.

PS: I'd most likely be all in if Ford or Chrysler were to release a good electric. I just can't stomache that Toyota.

Allen
July 5th, 2009, 22:47
In due time... Many think technology will happen just cuz a politicain, or celeb snaps his fingers. That old saying... those who cry the loudest, know the least.
I'll take that VW clean diesel anyday before a Prius. What an ugly car!

Me too. "This baby halls!"

tigisfat
July 5th, 2009, 22:54
I'll take that VW clean diesel anyday .......

I just noticed you said this. How right you are!! In England, they have these awesome turbo diesels that do'nt sound or smell like diesels, and they're sporty and fast. I want one here!! The last time I went to RIAT, my rental was a turbocharged Focus hatchback. How awesome is that!!

stiz
July 5th, 2009, 23:17
You see, it's still a toyota. I don't care where it's manufactured. It's still a Toyota. I'll buy Fords even when they're built in Canada.

whats wrong with toyotas?? tough and reliable cars ... or is it just the "i'll only buy american" attitude over anything else?

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 23:29
My mother is into her second Avalon. Fantastic cars.

I have always been impressed with the Prius. I see them as a pretty smart looking car. Cool lines on such a small compact. The interior is also a little ahead of its time.

There was a Prius up at the camp I was at this weekend that caught my eye. I had to stop and take a photo of it, lol.. I know, sounds crazy. Ive always liked them. They are radical. Not your usual car.

Cazzie
July 6th, 2009, 03:36
You know, my wife and I tested a Prius. Didn't like it, didn't like it one bit.

Number one: it's ugly as home-made soap!

Number two: the instrument panel (if you can call it that) is in the center of the dash. Not for me.

Number three: the cheapest one on the dealer lot was $27.400 and these thing get no discopunts!

So we test drove a Honda Insight. Way above the Prius in styling. Smaller than the Prius, but not my much. It actually drives like a car. Super ergonomics locations for all functions. Price: a little over $20,000.

End result: wife bought the Honda Insight.

Caz

Cazzie
July 6th, 2009, 03:40
whats wrong with toyotas?? tough and reliable cars ... or is it just the "i'll only buy american" attitude over anything else?

Stiz,

Fords sold here in the US are built in Canada, the US, and Mexico.

Most Toyotas sold here are built here. The world is truly becoming "a clockwork orange". :icon_lol:

Piglet, my wife loved the VW Jetta TDI clean diesel Sportwagon, but I am afraid one look at the near $30,000. price tag took all the glamor out of it.

kilo delta
July 6th, 2009, 03:42
I've been driving turbo diesels for years, having previously owned hot hatch GTi's. I'm currently driving a BMW 320d but my ideal diesel family car would be the twin turbo'd BMW 535d.

mike_cyul
July 6th, 2009, 05:00
Toyotas are built in Tennesee, no?

I test drove a Prius, and wasn't comfortable with the centre-mounted instruments, but could have lived with that except for the cargo space being too small. For a few dollars more you can get the Camry Hybrid - a beautiful piece of engineering.

Drove a Porche 911 last week, at close to 100 mph, on a country road - and was still in third gear. Now that's a car! :)

Mike

Helldiver
July 6th, 2009, 05:40
I remember the "Scorched Earth Policy" in China, where every man, woman and child in every village were killed. I remember the Rape of Nanking. I remember the Panay. I can distincly remember the sneaky, cowardly, bombing of Pearl Harbor. I remember the Phillipines Death March. I can very well remember when thousands of my shipmates were murdered by useless Kamikaze attacks.
For those reasons I would never buy a Toyota. Maybe they're made in the U.S. The profits all go back to the land of the Rising Sun. Their charter and destiny is the ultimate rule of the Orient.
They have little arable land. They have no resources. They are dependent on other countries for goods and materials as well as food. Not in my limited lifetime, but believe me, Japan will rise again. The people that buy the Prius only will allow this to happen.
Sad to say, not a lot of people share these memories that I have.

Cazzie
July 6th, 2009, 06:41
HD, my father fought in that conflict and never, ever bought Japanese, complained when the USA started receiving sheet metal from Japan. I understand and understood.

But the fact that their homogeneous society takes greater pride in their products and produce products (in particular automobiles) that are far, far superior to anything the USA has made in the past 30 years, and the fact that they still make automobiles that the public still want, i.e. station wagons, sometimes one is left with no choice! You name me one American manufacturer that manufactures a station wagon! No, they do not have men of your merit in charge any more HD. These doofs want SUVs and Utes masquerading as station wagons!

The same can be said for Japan, the old school has and is dying out. But the difference is, that the pride of their forefathers was passed on and the pride of gentlemen like you were lost in the liberal implosion of the 1960s!

Now don't get me wrong and I don't want to get two-party political here, because I am as liberal as they come, but lot in the sense of the liberal left. I am libertarian, I still believe in essential freedoms the current two-party system denies. I still believe strongly in the traditional tenets of our founding fathers. Very strongly.

And part of those tenets stated that the states could trade freely with any nation of their choice.

Caz

Panther_99FS
July 6th, 2009, 07:23

Check the post above yours - he did say he wanted the VW Clean Diesel ...;)

cheezyflier
July 6th, 2009, 08:12
I remember the "Scorched Earth Policy" in China, where every man, woman and child in every village were killed...

you're being a ww2 vet, i can understand why you feel that way. my father was on a sub chaser in the pacific. the facts are though,that the ideals that caused japan to think they way they did back then are long gone. japanese society is wholly different today than it was back in '31 when they invaded manchuria, or to be really accurate, the whole thing began in the early part of last century when they left the fuedal system behind and embraced industrialism. (which was encouraged by the west, including the u.s.a.) that's when they invaded korea and surrounding areas. wanna guess where they bought their weapons from? i'll give ya 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count. do you know who taught them modern warfare? (because there was a profit to be made)
the world today is not the same place. japan has learned they can have their cake and eat it too. as a monetary power they are very strong. war would only ruin that. they know which side of the bread has butter on it. during ww2 it was neccessary for victory to think of them as evil. that's not the case anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. if you really wanna hate somebody, there are more useful places to point the fire at, enemies that are more current. i give you all the respect but, really, the war has been over for an entire generation.

Panther_99FS
July 6th, 2009, 08:14
I thought this thread was about the Toyota Prius :ques:

kurt190
July 6th, 2009, 08:50
I live in the UK - I have a Prius.

Its reliable (more so than two previous Fords and a Fiat or two), its cheap to tax (I pay £15 for a year - my Shogun would have cost me £475), servicing is reasonable, I get a preferential car allowance from work, my insurance is approx 25% cheaper and on top of that I average 50 to 55 miles to the Imperial gallon if driven at sane and legal speeds.
The economics of the fuel consumption are also quite compelling. I save about £3500 per year. Also no congestion charge in London.

So what do I have to put with? OK it doesn't look marvellous, its performance is adequate but not inspiring, it handles quite nicely round corners, I love its voice activated controls, I like the GPS system (although the interface could do with some improvement), stereo is sweet - autochanger and mp3 compatible, automatic hands free Bluetooth to my cell phone. What else - seats are comfortable and its fine for my small family. Can be a bit short of space in the boot department but I can get the family in together with the camping gear so it can't be that bad.

Horses for courses. I like mine - it saves me money. I don't see cars as performance vehicles and I don't drive them for fun. For that sort of thing I prefer motorcycles and planes.

kurt

Willy
July 6th, 2009, 09:08
20 years ago, I had a VW Rabbit Diesel that would get 50mpg and went surprisingly quick up to about 75 mph. I still think that not enough attention is paid to diesel technology in the US. About all I see that are diesel powered here are large 3/4 or 1 ton pickups and I just don't have a use for a truck that large.

As far as going for fun, I'll ride my horse. She gets better mileage anyway.

crashaz
July 6th, 2009, 09:26
I don't really understand what the big deal about electric cars that you need to plugin... sure one is going to save some money now... but really... ok these cars use less gas.... the personal household will need more electricity.

So we will cut down on pollutions of fuel emissions... but increase the emissions from electrical plants. Seems to be trading one form of pollution for another.

Right now you may save money... but with Cap and Trade on the way.. we may be taking that money saved and paying it to the electric company to pay for their carbon credits.
:isadizzy:

Cratermaker
July 6th, 2009, 09:37
I don't really understand what the big deal about electric cars that you need to plugin... sure one is going to save some money now... but really... ok these cars use less gas.... the personal household will need more electricity.

So we will cut down on pollutions of fuel emissions... but increase the emissions from electrical plants. Seems to be trading one form of pollution for another.

Right now you may save money... but with Cap and Trade on the way.. we may be taking that money saved and paying it to the electric company to pay for their carbon credits.
It is easier to reduce the pollution at the power plant than trying to do it on 10,000,000 cars... We could probably build a bunch of clean power plants for what we spend on catalytic converters and such each year.

Also, power plants run at a much reduced capacity when people are sleeping: the same time they'll be recharging their cars. We get the most bang for our buck when the infrastructure is utilized near 100% all the time instead of 100% in the day time and 60% at night. (guessing at percentages there, but you see my point)

BTW: cap and trade will be the next big economic implosion. The carbon credits will get vastly overvalued, and then the price will collapse. It will be the mortgage crisis all over again. You heard it here first!

Oh, and I own a Toyata RAV4. Love it.

Lionheart
July 6th, 2009, 09:39
As far as going for fun, I'll ride my horse. She gets better mileage anyway.

Goodness man! They are a little under powered arent they? I read in a performance report that they only have a 1HP power rating? And they couldnt get a BHP or dynamo rating on one...!

:d

kurt190
July 6th, 2009, 09:43

There is a fair bit of truth in that. One thing that could be said in defence is that at least it is poluting at source. Presumably our power stations are going to have to get emission friendly anyway.

kurt

safn1949
July 6th, 2009, 10:14
I drive a big truck and have out run a Prius trying to go uphill,that's some funny stuff right there.And it's a hoot watching them try to get up to speed to merge....slow as a bicycle.

Allen
July 6th, 2009, 12:41
20 years ago, I had a VW Rabbit Diesel that would get 50mpg and went surprisingly quick up to about 75 mph. I still think that not enough attention is paid to diesel technology in the US. About all I see that are diesel powered here are large 3/4 or 1 ton pickups and I just don't have a use for a truck that large.

I know. I'm waiting for diesel to surpass gas in cars. Diesel Electric hybrids is one only way to make a hybrid. It's been in trains for years here in the USA.

Hybrid still have a Transmission and Differetial that rob fuel and power. Diesel Electric Locomotive are quite a head of Hybrid cars. The diesel-electric Locomotive uses a diesel engine to drive an electric generator, which then supplies the current to traction motors, which are geared directly to the locomotive's wheels. The Prius still has a Engine, two electric motors a transmission and differetial.:isadizzy: Get rid of transmission and differetial. It's dead weight.

kurt190
July 6th, 2009, 13:15
I drive a big truck and have out run a Prius trying to go uphill,that's some funny stuff right there.And it's a hoot watching them try to get up to speed to merge....slow as a bicycle.

Probably more about the driver than the car. Current Prius does 0-60 in around 10 seconds which while not world beating isn't that slow. Top speed seems to be around 105 mph. It cruises fine at 90 mph - obviously at those speeeds fuel consumption rises.

kurt

Piglet
July 6th, 2009, 15:25
With fuelcell tech maturing, and battery tech advancing, I think the hybred will just be a blip in automotive history, much like the triplane in aircraft history.

Lionheart
July 6th, 2009, 15:32
I know. I'm waiting for diesel to surpass gas in cars. Diesel Electric hybrids is one only way to make a hybrid. It's been in trains for years here in the USA.

Hybrid still have a Transmission and Differetial that rob fuel and power. Diesel Electric Locomotive are quite a head of Hybrid cars. The diesel-electric Locomotive uses a diesel engine to drive an electric generator, which then supplies the current to traction motors, which are geared directly to the locomotive's wheels. The Prius still has a Engine, two electric motors a transmission and differetial.:isadizzy: Get rid of transmission and differetial. It's dead weight.

Allen,

I think the Prius uses hub motors, directly link at the drive shafts. I could be wrong though.

I believe only the engine goes through the transmission system while electrics are direct.

I shouldnt have said anything until I researched that, lol. I am thinking it might be made like the Saturn sport coupe was on the electric end of it.

By the way, the reason the trunk space is minimal (high shelf compartment in rear) is that the batteries are there. All of them 'size D' cells, solid. No gases, no acids.. Not heavy if you only pick up a few at a time, lol.. But a ton of them back there.

Lionheart
July 6th, 2009, 15:33
Speaking of that.. With Roger Penske taking over Saturn, what if he brings back the electric sport coupe!? Dang!

Here gm, Build this beauty!

heh heh...

Rami
July 6th, 2009, 17:21
I have a 2006 Prius that I couldn't be happier with....and Toyotas have been made in Kentucky since 1982.

My last Toyota was a 1992 Corolla with 426,000 miles on it before she was rear-ended and totaled. I was still driving her every day, she was still getting about 38 MPG, and it was the most reliable engine and car I ever had.

However...today I did get to drive a fantastic piece of American engineering...a 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge. It's the only car I've ever driven that I could see the speedometer go up and the gas gauge go down at the same time. I left an imprint in my seat from the acceleration.

mike_cyul
July 6th, 2009, 18:00
Allen,

I think the Prius uses hub motors, directly link at the drive shafts. I could be wrong though.

I believe only the engine goes through the transmission system while electrics are direct.

I shouldnt have said anything until I researched that, lol. I am thinking it might be made like the Saturn sport coupe was on the electric end of it.

By the way, the reason the trunk space is minimal (high shelf compartment in rear) is that the batteries are there. All of them 'size D' cells, solid. No gases, no acids.. Not heavy if you only pick up a few at a time, lol.. But a ton of them back there.

The hubs have generators, so that whenever you take your foot off the gas and are coasting, or have your foot on the brakes, energy is generated and sent to the main battery.

The transmission, which connects both electric and gas motors to the drivetrain, is a gearless, and very smooth indeed.

I have a Camry Hybrid, and it's more powerful than the normal Camry - you can have quite a bit of fun with it.

You'd barely know there are batteries in the trunk - they take up the space of about two or three loaves of bread, and are tucked up against the backs of the rear seats. Lots of space in the trunk, including fold-down rear seats for cargo carry-through. I've had to open the trunk a couple of times for the skeptics, who think the batteries must be huge.

Mike

crashaz
July 6th, 2009, 18:47
I think of Japanese cars made in the US and I think of this ROFL!!:icon_lol:

cheezyflier
July 6th, 2009, 18:58
I think of Japanese cars made in the US and I think of this ROFL!!:icon_lol:

that movie had some of the funniest lines in it. :applause:

crashaz
July 6th, 2009, 19:01
Yeah I enjoyed Michael Keaton more as a funny man... those faces he made LOL.

My favorite... Johnny Dangerously!:icon_lol:

Ah... cars in that movie were not electric (to get back on topic) but I wouldn't mind it if Marilu Henner was in the car... gas/electric be dammned. :icon_lol:

euroastar350
July 6th, 2009, 19:03
If I had the $$$, I'd buy a Prius:icon29:

Allen
July 6th, 2009, 20:19
Allen,

Neg on hub motors. Hub motors would add some cost to the car but are better on the MPG.

The transmission, which connects both electric and gas motors to the drivetrain, is a gearless, and very smooth indeed.
Mike

BIG neg on that. There is no way in he!! they got a hydraulc transmission in that thing. It is a Planetary Gear system.

Read on!↓
http://www.cleangreencar.co.nz/page/prius-technical-info

tigisfat
July 6th, 2009, 23:30

I's not that simple. Locomotives dont accelerate and decellerate as much as we do, and they don't have the need for crazily variable gearing. Locomotives are very purpose built.

Allen
July 7th, 2009, 00:21
I's not that simple. Locomotives dont accelerate and decellerate as much as we do, and they don't have the need for crazily variable gearing. Locomotives are very purpose built.

Yes, Locomotives are very purpose built but the do the same thing the car dose but cars to faster. Accelerate and decellerate is already over come. In hub mounted motor have brake made into them, offten are the brake them self see Re-gen braking.

Electric motors are most efficient at high speed. Hub mounted motor need a transmission. *That sucks:isadizzy:* The use a Planetary Gear system like the Prius' transmission to get the torque needed to accelerate.

Accelerate and decellerate not a prob. Variable gearing is applying more or less power to hub mounted motors. Hub motors remove the axles, differetial and conventional brakes from the car. Making a more friction free drivetrain. The less friction the less power you use to do the same work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hub_motor

GM seeing hub motors.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20030820/FREE/308200704

mike_cyul
July 7th, 2009, 05:44
Neg on hub motors. Hub motors would add some cost to the car but are better on the MPG.

BIG neg on that. There is no way in he!! they got a hydraulc transmission in that thing. It is a Planetary Gear system.

Read on!↓
http://www.cleangreencar.co.nz/page/prius-technical-info

The Prius (and Camry) has the E-CVT, a planetary gear mechanism, which still functions as a CVT system (there being no gear shifts), although isn't the same type as that on a Nissan (cone-and-belt).

Mike

Wing_Z
July 7th, 2009, 13:16
Quite right.
Let Billybob put y'all back on track:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x194p8_top-gear-prius-test-shooting-by-gun_auto

Piglet
July 7th, 2009, 20:21
Now that was funny!:tgun2::ernae::ernae:

Lionheart
July 7th, 2009, 22:37
That was nothing like the Prius they sell here in the States. That looked more like a ford.

The Prius here is a bit like a Honda.

AckAck
July 8th, 2009, 05:16
That's what I thought too, but that was a second generation Prius that Top Gear was reviewing. The one we are familiar with in the states is the third (and now fourth) generation, when they went to that odd looking 5-door configuration. I'm not even sure the second gen ever made it here - they started selling them in 2000, and 2001 was the model year change, so they were probably selling 2001s in 2000.

Looked almost normal as a 4-door sedan, though, didn't it?

Brian

Lionheart
July 8th, 2009, 10:11
Looked almost normal as a 4-door sedan, though, didn't it?

Brian

Normal is the word. No wonder they hate it over there, lol.. Looks like a basic regular car.

Here they are alot different. A total wedged like body, hood blends into windshield smoothly, high rear end like an antique Mach 1 mustang, wild looking headlights and wierd interior.

I think we have the better end of the deal... :d

I found some pics of the new 2010 Prius.

EDIT: I see they made the headlights now to look like other cars. Bummer. I like the older modular ones that matched the theme of the car. Cicles with circles, rectangles with rectangles.. Theme fluidity...! arrghh..