PDA

View Full Version : Possible new build

waco
July 5th, 2009, 13:16
I'm comfortable with AMD and Nvidia and was looking at hardware, mostly at Newegg, to see what's available. Up to now I've been going dual core but have been thinking about quad core, except I don't any new SLI quad core AM3 mobos to speak of. I usually go for ASUS. So I was looking at tri core which can support SLI and 3 PCI-E GPUs and wonder if three of them would function in SLI. The accessories in the retail box show a SLI bridge but only with two connectors. So what's deal here on SLI and 3 gpu slots?

tobob
July 8th, 2009, 07:48
So I was looking at tri core which can support SLI and 3 PCI-E GPUs and wonder if three of them would function in SLI.

A word to the wiser: Tri core processors are quad cores with a bad processor. AMD decided to pass these off as "tri-cores" in an attempt to sell their bad cpu's. I can't say for sure if the bad cpu will effect anything, but why take any chances

Don't get me wrong, I love AMD but I personally would go with a dual core or a quad core.

waco
July 12th, 2009, 04:57
Thanx for the info, tobob. Now the scarcity of mobos makes sense.

tobob
July 12th, 2009, 06:59
Any time Waco. :ernae:
I really like newegg and tigerdirect, I visit those sites very often and daydream about building a super computer. There is so much stuff out there, a little researching never hurt anybody. Good luck on your new build. Let us know how it goes.

Tobob

hey_moe
July 13th, 2009, 03:00
I think you will really like the new Intel processors that have come out. They run really cool. They are suppose to release a new wave of processors soon that is suppose to be one step better than the 45's.Also the DDR3 memory has really come down in prices along with the video cards. It all depends on how fast ya wanna go as to how much money you can spend. Have ya talked to Ted on the subject...he seems to have help other members build nice stable system....then if it don't work right you can fuss at him...lol :monkies: