PDA

View Full Version : FAA Torpedo and bomb tactics?

Cowboy1968
July 5th, 2009, 07:51
The standard US tactics using the TBD Devastator, TBF/M Avenger and the TBY Sea Wolf in the torpedo role was simple. The optimal attack was for a flight of eight aircraft to pick a target. they would approach by section on the bow or stern (section four planes). I section would concentrate coming in on the stern by element (2 planes) at a 45 degree angle of axis on the attack on either the port or starboard the other Section would follow a similar pattern on a bow attack on a target. The planes would drop to about 100 to 150 feet off the deck and make a straight run at the angle of attack to well inside 500 yards of the target. They would release then turn out of the attack. In most cases how ever the attacks were made by section of four coming in on bow or stern. This was called an anvil attack. now on a stananary target like a moored ship they would come in at a flat 0 degree angle to the broadside and deliver the torpedo directly into the broadside of the ship.

When used for bombing attacks the Torpedo bombers were used as level bombers. if against ships they would come in level at around 1,000 feet and release when properly lined to lead the target. When being used to attack land targets the torpedo planes would release from anywhere between 1,000 to 5,000 feet. a lot times even lower then that 1,000 feet.

The dive bombers like the SB2U Vindicator, SBD Dauntless and the SB2C Helldiver would come in around 10,000 to 12,000 feet, set dive configuration, cut the throttle and role inverted go into a 60 to 75 degree dive (depending on type of aircraft) and dive to around 1,500 to as low as 1,000 feet above the target and release, then they would pull out of the dive, close flaps and dive brakes, and landing gear on the SB2U, and slam the throttle to the firewall and high tail it out. Or they could make shallower glide bomb attack with out setting dive configuration.

That was the USN methods of attack. My question is what were the FAA methods or were they the same?

trasno
July 6th, 2009, 11:13
I am not sure if this link will be useful to you, but is very interesting anyway:

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/history/tiropertungsten.html

Trasno

trasno
July 6th, 2009, 11:46
And this is interesting too:

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/sinking_of_the_konigsberg.htm

Trasno

tobob
July 6th, 2009, 16:26
Very interesting info Cowboy1968, and I didn't know the dive bombers would lower their landing gear in a dive. You learn something new everyday. Neat!

Cowboy1968
July 6th, 2009, 19:25
Very interesting info Cowboy1968, and I didn't know the dive bombers would lower their landing gear in a dive. You learn something new everyday. Neat!

The Vought SB2U Vindicator didn't actually have dive brakes. So to compensate for the lack of the brakes, the flaps were opened fully and the gear lowered. The Vindicator also used a more shallow dive then the other dive bombers. The crews were taught to use a 60 degree dive.

Now lets compare that to the SBD Dauntless. The SBD would open its flaps and dive brakes and dive at an angle of 75 degrees onto the target.

Both planes would commence there attack at around 10,000 to 12,000 feet.

The other contemporary to the SB2U, was the SBC (not the SB2C). and like the SBD, it opened its flaps and brakes and dived at a 75 degree angle.

bobhegf
July 6th, 2009, 23:09
There is one other method that was used by the SBDs. They would start as if to glide bomb lets say from 12000FT ,as they got lower they would get the dive steaper untill they were at about 5000FT then they would drop there nose into a70* dive, bomb and pull out at about 900FT or alittle less.This is a method one squadron used to insure a more accurate dive on a moving target.