PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Replacement

erufle
July 4th, 2009, 08:23
FYI

My $1300.00 1.5-year-old HP dv6700 laptop had a hard drive crash last week and I just now got it all put back together. The only thing of value I lost was my beautiful Mediterranean install - the one I use to work on my Italian Radio Chatter project. Yep, another setback for that project.

Anyhows, I went online to see how much HP wanted for a replacement and the answer was $631.00. Now, I am not a fan of BestBuy because, in decades past, all of the computer equipment they had in stock was about one year out of date. However, I wanted to get the laptop up and running fast so I called them up. Well sirree, they not only had a replacement, but I was able to upgrade for the price of $84.00. I suspect I could not have done much better at the online discount places. :guinness:

OBIO
July 4th, 2009, 09:13
Glad you are back up and running erufle. I know that pain of HD failures.

I have found that Newegg.com has prices that are pretty unbeatable. I have been planning to add a larger HD to my wife's laptop and give it a bit more storage space (currently has a 40 gig HD). A 250 gig HD is only $90.

I added a 1 gig stick of Ram to the lap top for less than $40 shortly after it was given to her. That made a world of difference...went from 256 meg to 1.25 gig of RAM...now that thing runs fast enough to get out of its own way.

OBIO

erufle
July 5th, 2009, 04:16
Yep, the hard drive I lost was 250 gigs. I replaced with a larger one for the $84. I want to say it is a 360 gig hd?

PSULLYKEYS
July 5th, 2009, 09:47
ER: Please consider backing up. Last month I lost my HD, but ended up only losing about a months work of simland stuff. NOW I HAVE TROUBLE GETTING BACK ON THE HORSE.:isadizzy: Reinstalling ALL of my progs has been a pain.

Good Luck!

erufle
July 11th, 2009, 05:45
I have most of my work backed up between three computers. I have several installs on another computer so all I have to do is get my 8-gig jumpdrive and transfer them. I used to be able to transfer via my home network but for some reason I can't get the laptop to communicate anymore. I think it is mainly because the laptop has Vista and the other two computers run XP. Still, I know the network should work. You are right about backing up Sully. I feel strongly about buying a 250 gig or better external hard drive to back up on.

Shadow Wolf 07
July 11th, 2009, 05:50
I just lost the HD on my 4 year old Compaq desktop. Fortunately I have everything backed up - everything except my Saitek X52 profiles. Rebuilding is a matter of time, not heartache.