PDA

View Full Version : A salute to the US...

gera
July 3rd, 2009, 12:07
The horseman run as if kingdom come was after him, most were asleep as he yelled..." The Brits are coming!!!, the Brits are coming"..as people began to realize what was happening they walked out into the dawn and slowly realized they had to face the facts once and for all..........They did!!!...

God Bless the United States of America.

As one of your neighbors still struggling to really be free I salute you Americanos del Norte and pray that the --deviation taking place in your country-- is just like a storm which makes much noice and some destruction, but like one, the winds reside and the wide blue sky is lighted again--

No one can really stop Freedom for there are always horsemen ready to do their duty....

PS. Every Fourth of July I remember the freedom I always felt while living in that wonderful land of yours..... SALUD!!!!!!!

Roger
July 3rd, 2009, 12:13
Well it would seem that plans to reintegrate the USA back in to the British Empire have failed miserably due to the economic recession...so what the heck:engel016:
Happy, soon to be, the 4th of July:applause:

Blade124
July 3rd, 2009, 13:00
I was thinking today how three of my grandparents migrated to the US from Europe, and how they must have felt when they saw Lady Liberty there welcoming them. What a powerful message.

Scratch
July 3rd, 2009, 13:34
Thank you Gera for those kind words.

Roger, y'all may have lost a colony, but you have one helluva vacation spot now:icon29: The welcome mat is always out for our British cousins:ernae:

Roger
July 3rd, 2009, 14:09
Thank you Gera for those kind words.

Roger, y'all may have lost a colony, but you have one helluva vacation spot now:icon29: The welcome mat is always out for our British cousins:ernae:
Nice sentiment Scratch:ernae:

spotlope
July 3rd, 2009, 14:14
Thanks, Gera. Just last month, my wife and I paid our yearly visit to New England. While there, we visited Lexington and Concord, just outside the city of Boston, Massachusetts. This is the place where Paul Revere's ride came to an abrupt end.

Standing on the old North Bridge, across which the first shot of our revolution was fired, was a moving experience. Such a beautiful, bucolic setting for such a terrible and momentous event. I wasn't surprised to find that everyone else there seemed to be from some other country--sadly, Americans seem to have lost interest in their own history. Thanks for thinking of your American friends as we celebrate our 233rd birthday! :ernae:

Mathias
July 3rd, 2009, 15:27
Well, given that some 30 or so % of the US citizens are of German origin (if memory serves me well) makes it kinda a celeb day over here, too.
Wishing you well over the big pond and have a grand day!:ernae:

BananaBob
July 3rd, 2009, 15:33
Thanks, Gera. Just last month, my wife and I paid our yearly visit to New England. While there, we visited Lexington and Concord, just outside the city of Boston, Massachusetts. This is the place where Paul Revere's ride came to an abrupt end.

Standing on the old North Bridge, across which the first shot of our revolution was fired, was a moving experience. Such a beautiful, bucolic setting for such a terrible and momentous event. I wasn't surprised to find that everyone else there seemed to be from some other country--sadly, Americans seem to have lost interest in their own history. Thanks for thinking of your American friends as we celebrate our 233rd birthday! :ernae:

Here, here, completely agree. :USA-flag:

bkeske
July 3rd, 2009, 15:41
Ditto, thanks Gera.:USA-flag:

krazycolin
July 3rd, 2009, 16:17
I was thinking today how three of my grandparents migrated to the US from Europe, and how they must have felt when they saw Lady Liberty there welcoming them. What a powerful message.

Yup... and now no one can get in....

BananaBob
July 3rd, 2009, 16:28
Yup... and now no one can get in....

I wish I could believe that, they might disagree with you at the southern border.:engel016:

Lionheart
July 3rd, 2009, 16:29
Thanks Gera,

Awesome words man.

The ForeFathers fought a huge battle. The movie 'The Patriot' with Mel Gibson really shows you the way of the times back then, from politics to their way of life, even how mail was sent back then.

Incredible and horrific what they went through. Think of it. Farmers against the biggest country on Earth. The British Empire was so huge, the sun never set on its shores.. (It had locations around the globe).

I often wonder.. If the King of England would have dealt with its colony better, if anything like that would have happened.

God bless America! :USA-flag:

Bill

krazycolin
July 3rd, 2009, 18:40
I wish I could believe that, they might disagree with you at the southern border.:engel016:

I did mean legally...

Btw, Happy Birthday US of A! :icon29::icon29::icon29::icon29:

noshadez
July 3rd, 2009, 18:42
ThankX Gera.. Our countrys founding was an incredible chancy idea..and that was let the people have more freedom to do stuff than any country ever--that meant way less red tape and a national government that its ony purpose was to defend that idea and let people loose to invent,start buisnesses and become the best as they could be and of course make BIG money at it without govornment interference made us the (U.S.) work harder at it for the reward..The result was the greatest prosperous country the World has ever had.. Of course now the only thing that is growing is govornment--red tape and all--see you in the funny papers- or a salt mine...:stop:

Bjoern
July 4th, 2009, 07:49
Have a good Indy day, guys!

Can you party?
- Yes, you can!
:d

Rick_Piper
July 4th, 2009, 09:47
Happy 4th of July Guys & Girls :icon29::icon29::icon29::icon29:

Regards
Rick

EgoR64
July 4th, 2009, 14:52
:ernae: Happy 4th All !!

Many Cheers !!

Cag40Navy
July 4th, 2009, 15:43
Happy 4th to you all at SOH! have a great day and better night! :USA-flag: :USA-flag: :USA-flag: :USA-flag: :USA-flag:
:rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: ( pretend there fireworks )

kurt190
July 5th, 2009, 00:43
Thanks Gera,

Awesome words man.

The ForeFathers fought a huge battle. The movie 'The Patriot' with Mel Gibson really shows you the way of the times back then, from politics to their way of life, even how mail was sent back then.

Incredible and horrific what they went through. Think of it. Farmers against the biggest country on Earth. The British Empire was so huge, the sun never set on its shores.. (It had locations around the globe).

I often wonder.. If the King of England would have dealt with its colony better, if anything like that would have happened.

God bless America! :USA-flag:

Bill

First off let me say Happy 4th of July to all of our cousins across the pond.

Now, Lionheart - "The Patriot" accurate? Its one of the most inaccurate so-called historical films made. It ranks along side "Braveheart" - complete cobblers but entertaining.

kurt

BananaBob
July 5th, 2009, 04:48

Now, Lionheart - "The Patriot" accurate? Its one of the most inaccurate so-called historical films made. It ranks along side "Braveheart" - complete cobblers but entertaining.

kurt

I'm not disagreeing but could you point to something that is accurate if you think that movie is not, I'm just curious and want to know history accurately because if we don't, we will fall into the same traps and I see it happening everyday right now. Thanks. :ernae:

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 07:10
For anyone curious about watching the movie the Patriot, catch the 'how the movie was made' where they go into huge details of how they recreated the scenes, clothes, people, political discussions (town meetings and views of the Colonials) and tons of other aspects where they show you how they attempted to be as accurate as possible in making the movie.

But, it is a movie, not a text book in movie format. Hollywood is Hollywood.

Mel plays a great part.

Thank the Lord that war is over.

Some interesting things occurred in that war also that people refer to as miracles on a huge scale. Books have been written on them. One was the surrounding of Washingtons army near the end of the war. Fog dropped down and encompassed Washingtons men before the British who surrounded them on 3 sides were about to take them, which would have ended the war basically. The fog kept them from taking them that evening. So they waited till morning. During the night, Washington moved his men out groups at a time with small little boats. Wagon wheels were fitted with towels and blankets so they would roll noiselesy through streets. The British thought the Colonials were waiting their doom, trapped against an ocean front, no where to go. The fog slowly lifted as the last 4 soldiers departed on a small boat. (We're talking row-boats here).

No victory for the Britians on that day.

Bill

BananaBob
July 5th, 2009, 07:14
Interesting, had never heard of that. :ernae:

kurt190
July 5th, 2009, 10:07
I'm not disagreeing but could you point to something that is accurate if you think that movie is not, I'm just curious and want to know history accurately because if we don't, we will fall into the same traps and I see it happening everyday right now. Thanks. :ernae:

Best thing to do is read some primary sources if at all possible. Hollywood is never history.

Typical Hollywood the villain in the film is Colonel William Tavington, he is "loosely based" on Colonel Banastre Tarleton - an English Colonel who commanded the British Legion, made up of American Loyalists. He and his troops earned a hard reputation, "Tarleton's" Quarter" meant none. However they did not herd women and children into Churches and set them on fire. This sort of activity is more Nazi than British. Hollywood not being quite truthful. Tarleton did however surround and threaten to burn down a house containing an American Colonel. he was forced to surrender in his dressing gown.

kurt

hobofat
July 5th, 2009, 11:42

kurt

It did play fast and loose with some historical figures and events, took some Hollywood licenses, a few anachronisms if I remember correctly, but as a pictorial look at life in the colonial era, trying to get into the "simplified" (by Hollywood, people were just as complex then as now) mindset of the era, it definitely has merit. Like all media that is put forth, it should be taken with a grain of salt, a healthy dose of skepticism, a tall heaping of background research...but also appreciated for what it can show us :)

Cazzie
July 5th, 2009, 11:56
Well, given that some 30 or so % of the US citizens are of German origin (if memory serves me well) makes it kinda a celeb day over here, too.
Wishing you well over the big pond and have a grand day!:ernae:

Were it not for one vote, we Yanks would be speaking a *******ized form of German in lieu of the *******ized form the Queen's English we have as our national language. There were so many German immigrants in the original 13 colonies that once America gained her Independence and a vote by committee went forth for the national language; choices being English German, Spanish, and French, German lost out by a mere one vote.

There are two German families in my lineage, Schnapp and Blankenscheipp (Americanized to Blankenship).

Caz

spotlope
July 5th, 2009, 12:26
If you're looking for an interesting account of early American history, I heartily recommend the "John Adams" miniseries that ran on PBS a while back. I got it from Netflix recently, and was just blown away by the depth of historical research that went into it, and the extremely high production values. Watching old JA in his later years made me want to go brush my teeth. Repeatedly.

Ditto on the German lineage. My mother's maiden name was Froelich; a second-generation American.

BananaBob
July 5th, 2009, 13:07
If you're looking for an interesting account of early American history, I heartily recommend the "John Adams" miniseries that ran on PBS a while back. I got it from Netflix recently, and was just blown away by the depth of historical research that went into it, and the extremely high production values. Watching old JA in his later years made me want to go brush my teeth. Repeatedly.

Ditto on the German lineage. My mother's maiden name was Froelich; a second-generation American.

Now I did watch this and it was the best I've seen so far and the foresight of these gentlemen is unbelievable, too bad many have already forgotten.

spotlope
July 5th, 2009, 15:22
The story of the rivalry and friendship between Thomas Jefferson and John Adams was fascinating, I thought. The book "John Adams", on which the miniseries was based, is a cracking read, even if you're not normally into biographies.

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 19:31
Were it not for one vote, we Yanks would be speaking a *******ized form of German in lieu of the *******ized form the Queen's English we have as our national language. There were so many German immigrants in the original 13 colonies that once America gained her Independence and a vote by committee went forth for the national language; choices being English German, Spanish, and French, German lost out by a mere one vote.

There are two German families in my lineage, Schnapp and Blankenscheipp (Americanized to Blankenship).

Caz

<-- German, Irish, and French heritage here.

Nothing but a huge cooking pot of other nationalities, all condensed into one big country of everyone, lol..