PDA

View Full Version : passwords leading to bank fraud

dog1
July 2nd, 2009, 19:13
hello,
i have just been notified by email from the ARC team aircraft resource center that cyber criminals tried to get passwords recently to log in and then infect fellow members email by creating a reason to send them an email therefore infecting them with a special kind of virus which opens up their files hoping to lead to financial info which allows them to charge and make payments.therefore take the initiative to change other passwords which you feel can lead to unpleasant surprises to say the least.
dog1

Rami
July 2nd, 2009, 19:24
This is why you don't open e-mails from someone you don't know, and why you should change your passwords frequently.

OBIO
July 2nd, 2009, 20:31
And this is one of the best benefits of being broke...there's nothing in my bank account for anyone to steal. The joke would be on them!

Seriously...never open e-mail from anyone you do not know, be very wary of opening e-mail that is forwarded from someone else (even if that person is your mother-in-law who has all the technical skills of primordial slime mold) and change your passwords frequently.

And never, ever, ever, never, don't even think about storing anything with any real financial information, social security number, favorite color on a HD that is inside your computer. Store that stuff on an external HD that can be powered down and unplugged from your computer.

And never to infinity and beyond, put your social security number on the internet...I am always on my wife about this.

OBIO

egypt23spitfire
July 2nd, 2009, 20:51
...........and this is why you should use a proggy able to read the headers(and a harmless text message version of emails) before they even reach your machine
.i have used for 10 yrs:engel016:
(virus checkers and firewalls come and go but mailwasher has always been a "keeper" for me)

ie: MAILWASHER (which has fr4ee and a pay 4 versions)

---------http://mailwasher.net/

.........it also blocks spam and bounces back to sender

sadly sadly-be very careful about SOH messages as the old way of sometimes including email addresses at the bottom of downloading pages can give the scum an inroad
..happened to me cupla yrs ago, some dude (in latvia hehe) tried to send me an upgrade to AC WAI SPIT but when investigated found it was a trojan bot browser page mimic-er with a preset menu to "phone home"(some bogus CALIFORNIAN address)
chased the trail but got lost in the russian ANALogue system:isadizzy:
...it was MAILWASHER that alerted me ,saying that this could be SPAM so i checked it REMOTE with VIPRE and found it to be NASTYYYYYY
....anyone sending an email(containing an attachment) from SOH get em to use a nik name in the header so you can readily know its coming "clean"(but check it any way hehe)
..better to be safe than(FORMAT-shudder:eek:) sorry:ernae:

p14u2nv
July 4th, 2009, 22:08
Several years ago when I was still working (before I was disabled-hence my sad avatar) I supervised a woman who was infamous for forwarding, and from what I assumed it was every email that she received. Since I worked for a government agency involved with an ultra high security setting, there were understandably certain protocols in place concerning ALL gov computers and their specific uses, foremost for all machines were no "personal use" which may jeopardize security up to and including the mainframe. I continually preached this to my staff. All managers did. Blue in the face constantly.

Well to make a long boring story short, Ms. X managed to not only infect and compromise 70+ computers at work she took down some 150+ personal pc's, many of whom opened and just read the very same "joke!".

Seems one of her special forwards had a nasty Trojan and virus attached which attacked Word in addition to other files and it morphed and replicated itself. All it took was just 1 employee opening personal email at work from Ms. X and of course that was forwarded to others at work. This was approx. 4 pm on a Friday. By 6 pm that same night the mainframe went offline and by Monday morning many employees had lost their pc's at home. Other facilities across the state had also been compromised which created next to a panic. The gov had only 1 pc anti-virus contract with FProt believe it or not. The gov and the cheapest supplier go hand in hand bottom line and this time they sure paid for it!

When the smoke cleared some 40 different gov. agencies had computers infected and at last count I believe over 2,500 personal pc's were damaged...nice huh? And this only took 3 days to accomplish.

This was simply beyond dumb. The email she sent? It was one of those bs stories about the sick child and their family who didn't have enough $$ for some bs operation.

Trust but verify ring a bell here? Always scan with a reputable anti-virus check prior to opening any email.

PSULLYKEYS
July 5th, 2009, 10:02
Good Thread! E: Mailwasher will not work with firefox......so, not usable for me.:pop4: