PDA

View Full Version : Flying Circus / Transocean Air Lines / DC-4 / North America (West)

MM
July 1st, 2009, 14:53
Flying Circus

Just got a telegram from Orvis Nelson in Oakland. He's sending an entry from Transocean Air Lines. To head up the operation, he's nominated one of his experienced pilots who has flown all over South America as well as around the world. This fellow, besides flying for TAL, fancies himself a writer...perhaps you have read Island in the Sky. Nelson assures us that we can safely ignore this fact: Ernie Gann is just a wonderful guy and a true professional pilot.

For First Officer, the Transocean entry is going to pick from a rotation of equally grizzled veterans—provided one is available. At each stop, Gann will be responsible for scouring the usual watering holes to find a suitable pilot. Having just finished a job for AOA, he should be ready for this one.

In 1946, Orvis Nelson and a set of veteran ATC pilots organized Transocean as a way to seek their fortune flying around the Post War world. Based in Oakland, they first carried out trans-Pacific missions as a civilian contractor for the US military. And in the three years since then, they have conducted a number of daring operations in the Far East as they have established themselves as a world-wide presence. The pilots of Transocean have shown that adventure and business can still be combined...with profit on the side. The big airlines have taken notice.

The company is famous for seeking unusual opportunities in the air. In this case, they will be sending a war surplus C-54A refurbished by their maintenance facilities at Oakland's Hangar 28. While it is clear that the aircraft is not competitive with the more modern and more expensive entries, Gann has convinced Nelson that the experience gained on the West coast of South America will ease the expansion of Transocean's Pacific operations. And, he says, there is a book in it somewhere...

MM
July 1st, 2009, 14:56
This is a whimsical entry. It's here for pilots who want to take a flight or two without worrying about being too competitive. And, we do need a DC-4 for Willy's B307 to beat! So please feel free to join in on the fun.

In part, this effort is a salute to the youthful enthusiasm and adventurous spirit exemplified by the men and women that made up Transocean. For lots of useful stuff, see a terrific site for TAL veterans: http://www.taloa.org/. Most entertaining are the stories: http://www.taloa.org/stories.html, and especially the three part series in the 1952 Saturday Evening Post: http://www.taloa.org/fame.html.

Jens Kristensen's DC-4 v2.1 can be found "dc4_v21.zip" at FlightSim.com. Dave McQueen's TALOA repaint for N88784 is in his package of repaints "dc4v2.zip". You should fly the C-54B flight dynamics—rather than the DC-4-1009—as this is an older 1944 aircraft. (It is not clear that N88784 flew for Transocean. Several records show it as going from the USAAF to Western (1946), American (1947), and then Australian National Airways (1948). A matter for our imagination.)

Transocean has committed to the Pacific coast route down South America. (CYUL-KLGA-KDCA-KMIA-MKJP-TJIG-TNCC-MPMG-SEGU-SPLP-SLLP -SCTI-SAEZ) Pilots should feel free to fly to intermediate stops to cut the leg length or to add interest. (Cartagena (SKCG) and Antofagasta (SKFA) seem good possibilities.)

Moses03
July 1st, 2009, 15:00
That's funny, I came real close to doing the Pacific route in the "Steamship Line" Matson DC-4.:icon_lol:

MM
July 1st, 2009, 15:26
First leg, the traditional Night Train to New York City. A bespectacled FO on this leg...all he could find.

Takeoff Weight: 65,816
Payload: 17,300

MM
July 1st, 2009, 17:12
Safely into New York. (Trees!)

Fuel calculations off a bit--and just barely landed within limits.

Landing Weight: 62938.9
Fuel Burned: 2842.7
Flight Time: 01:32:39

Commercial Centers: 1
(KLGA)

MM
July 1st, 2009, 19:26
No night life for the working stiffs. Getting the dark stuff out of the way...en route to "Our Nation's Capital."

Takeoff Weight: 64,871

MM
July 1st, 2009, 20:47
Safely down. To the home of our best politicians. Mark Twain often said, "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress." Of course, Pogo had something telling to say about that, "We have met the enemy...and he is us."

Landing Weight: 62908.1
Fuel Burned: 1949.1
Flight Time: 01:09:35

Commercial Centers: 2
(KLGA, KDCA)

Washington's new National Airport showcases Our Nation's Capital. To natives, though, it is better known as "First in War, First in Peace ... and last in the American League."

Great Ozzie
July 2nd, 2009, 00:46
Capt. Roy just received an interesting mail packet from Edwards... is this the one and the same DC-4? :icon_eek:

MM
July 2nd, 2009, 06:59
Rob, you've got it! Please join in on the "Flying Circus".

Some snapshots of the bird flying down the East Coast last night. (a) Out of Dorval, (b) Moon over the Hudson, (c) Approaching NYC and LaGuardia, (d) Manhatten skyline, (e) Out of NY along East River, (f) Thunderboomers and Moon illuminate ship over Maryland, (g) DC Touchdown, (h) Parked at the ramp next to the new terminal at Washingon National.

Great Ozzie
July 2nd, 2009, 20:58
Ok Thanks Mike,

I will toss my hat in the ring for the flight to...

KDCA - KMIA

TOW: 69.452
Payload: 17.300

Great Ozzie
July 3rd, 2009, 01:51
Safely landed at Miami Intl (KMIA)! :unitedstates: :wiggle:

Landing Weight: 62.657 lbs
Fuel Used: 6.746 lbs
Flight Time: 04:12:36

Nite Flight: 1

Penalties: 0

Sry for the tardy post... was distracted by The Jackal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKFuY-MHeI)

salt_air
July 3rd, 2009, 03:27
Well Done Rob! :guinness:

Moses03
July 3rd, 2009, 08:58
Well, so much for a day of tarpon fishing. Just got the call to fly a DC-4 down to Kingston.

Departing KMIA to MKJP.

Takeoff Weight: 66,675

Moses03
July 3rd, 2009, 09:26
Picked up a nice tailwind. Should be over Cuba soon.

On the lunch menu today; your choice of fish fillets or exotic jerk chicken sandwiches with a slice of pineapple.

MM
July 3rd, 2009, 10:31
Setting up to take the old girl to San Juan. Guess it's time to get off the beach...to meet you on the flightline.

Moses03
July 3rd, 2009, 10:47
ETE: 1 hr 5 min with current moderate headwind.

Moses03
July 3rd, 2009, 11:41
Down safe in Kingston. Nice uneventful flight.

Landing Weight: 62,532
Fuel Used: 4142
Flight Time: 02:40:59

Commercial Center MKJP off the board.

MM
July 3rd, 2009, 12:59
Picking up from Moses...from Kingston to San Juan.

Takeoff Weight: 69,060

Willy
July 3rd, 2009, 14:20
Just curious... yall mentioned taking the Pacific coast route down South America. Just how are yall planning on carrying a load of passengers in a unpressurized plane across the Andes? ;) I guess that'd be one way of keeping 'em quiet back there.... :d

The B307 is pressurized, but I figured that route would call for altitudes a bit higher than I care to go with the Stratoliner in FS.

salt_air
July 3rd, 2009, 14:49
Just curious... yall mentioned taking the Pacific coast route down South America. Just how are yall planning on carrying a load of passengers in a unpressurized plane across the Andes? ;) I guess that'd be one way of keeping 'em quiet back there.... :d

The B307 is pressurized, but I figured that route would call for altitudes a bit higher than I care to go with the Stratoliner in FS.

Sittin' here now figuring which leg(s) to try to fly and it looks like the rules say we can't go that way in non-pressurized equipment due to the required stop at SLLP which is sitting at an altitude of 13300 and some change (13313', I think). That's not going to be accomodated by a 12000' hard ceiling except for "flights directly over the mountains" and that would be a stop.

I'm game for whatever, but it looks like to me were about to use the wildcard or head to Trinadad.

MM
July 3rd, 2009, 15:31
Talked to Orvis Nelson about flying the Andes in unpressurized aircraft. He pointed out that Panagra made a good living in the region when they relied on DC-3s. Passengers who want to go to La Paz won't mind a bit of thin air.

As to the matter of flying an overloaded DC-4 in these trying conditions, Nelson indicated that "anyone's brother can fly in perfect conditions...why do you think I picked you to fly the Andes?"

We shall fly at 10,000 until we get to the mountains. Then we'll climb to a minimally safe altitude and weave through the passes in between the peaks. (Remember, we're flying an old war surplus C-54A and not the brand new DC-4-1009. The critical altitude for the P&W R-2000s is something like 7,000ft.)

Pilots who want to fly by the book should look for a job at Pan Am. :d

MM
July 3rd, 2009, 16:13
Safely in San Juan--"where the Americas meet". Apologies to my fellow TALOA drivers. Had to burn some gas to make the deadline (don't ask).

Landing Weight: 63153.6
Fuel Burned: 5886.4
Flight Time: 02:57:03

Commercial Centers: 5
(KLGA, KDCA, KMIA, MKJP, TJIG)

Next scheduled stop: Curacao's Hato (TNCC), 410nm away, where the Dutch Oil Boom should provide great business opportunities. (If the next pilot sees a good chance to make contacts in the Antilles, then he should go ahead. We can easily track back. We are in no hurry.)

salt_air
July 3rd, 2009, 17:58
Talked to Orvis Nelson about flying the Andes in unpressurized aircraft. He pointed out that Panagra made a good living in the region when they relied on DC-3s. Passengers who want to go to La Paz won't mind a bit of thin air.

As to the matter of flying an overloaded DC-4 in these trying conditions, Nelson indicated that "anyone's brother can fly in perfect conditions...why do you think I picked you to fly the Andes?"

We shall fly at 10,000 until we get to the mountains. Then we'll climb to a minimally safe altitude and weave through the passes in between the peaks. (Remember, we're flying an old war surplus C-54A and not the brand new DC-4-1009. The critical altitude for the P&W R-2000s is something like 7,000ft.)

Pilots who want to fly by the book should look for a job at Pan Am. :d

Sounds Good to me Mike,

Told ya I'm game,,,shot through there in a "Gooney Bird" in 1941 (Pan Am Race) and we'll do it in the Skymaster too.

Think I'll have the windshield removed and just wear goggles so I can take it all in.....can't look any worse than Rob's avatar....:icon_lol:.

Besides it will remind me of the first car I ever owned in real life,,,the goggles were less expensive than the glass replacement. I thought it was a good idea, my girlfriend didn't,,,,,,got it fixed with the next paycheck.

salt_air
July 4th, 2009, 03:40
Nice weather for an early mornin' cruise DC-4 style to Willemstad/Hato In't'l.

TJIG-TNCC

TOW= 67076 lbs

Payload= 18300 lbs

salt_air
July 4th, 2009, 06:28
Flying Circus makes it to Curacaos after a low a lazy flight from Puerto Rico.

Strong x-winds from the east for the majority of the flight then after setup for RWY 11 at TNCC find on the ground there was no wind at all.

Gotta love flying around large bodies of water, the winds will change on ya in a minute,,,,,,maybe twice.

The DC-4 is a fuel sipper compare to the chug-a-lug Connie.

MM
July 4th, 2009, 09:46
Great flight--and really precise fuel calculation!

Great Ozzie
July 4th, 2009, 11:06
Departing: Curaçao / Hato Intl (TNCC) :netherlandsantilles:
To: Panama's Marcos A Gelabert Intl (MPMG) :panama: :running:

Takeoff Weight: 68.330
Payload: 17.300

Great Ozzie
July 4th, 2009, 14:41
Safely Landed Marcos A Gelabert Intl (MPMG) :panama:

Panama! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBO6GikZlM)

Landing Weight: 63347.1 lbs (¡Ay, caramba!)
Fuel Used: 4955.4 lbs
Flight Time: 03:07:20

No Penalties ( :applause: & phew! btw)

salt_air
July 4th, 2009, 18:23
Nice ride here Rob O.

Just under the wire,,,well done!

Now we head south.

:wavey:

salt_air
July 5th, 2009, 04:20
Telegraph sent directly to the airport here in Panama includes directions for a previously unplanned stop on our route.

The Colombian Government is very disappointed that no effort has been made to service the fine city of Bogota. Therefore,,,,from the "Top",,,,Transocean's efforts will need to include Columbia in it's route to Buenos Aires.

Not only are thoughts of providing excellent service throughout South America, but an opportunity to try the "Skymaster" at some higher altitudes exists and needs to be pursued. This info can be used as input for the planners to consider the fact that there are two sides to the mountains,,,,can we fly along the eastern side as well?

We'll look at this as the day progresses, but for now we take advantage of clear skies and depart for Bogota, Columbia forthwith. Probabaly too many coastal airports to make it worth our time, but we'll see.

MPMG-SKBO

TOW= 67076 lbs

Payload= 18300 lbs

MM
July 5th, 2009, 05:32
Capital idea!

I'll be happy to take her back over the hills to Ecuador. Do you have an ETA?

salt_air
July 5th, 2009, 05:45
Capital idea!

I'll be happy to take her back over the hills to Ecuador. Do you have an ETA?

I'd say an hour from this post,,,,,give or take. 1045 EDT

Ballpark figure. :mixedsmi:

salt_air
July 5th, 2009, 06:05
Just passed Medellin NDB....one-one-thousand-five-hundred with headwinds at 14kts.

Clouds begining to pile up.

Beautiful scenery.

Should be on time.

salt_air
July 5th, 2009, 06:42
The "Circus" is in town Mike!,,,,, have a green duenna at SKBO. :jump:

Files and pics to follow.

Finally, 30min after take off, the skies clear off as we settle into to cruise at 11500' with 14 kt winds right in the ol' mug and they stayed right there all the way to landing at Bogota.

The aircraft performed very well and climbed near effortlessly to altitude. Very promising for what's in store for us later in the journey. Had to use a little bit higher MAP setting than normal, but still managed a 300-350 GPH rate of fuel usage in a 14kt headwind.

Clouds would pile up and then thin out reveling some great looking scenery much to the delight of the passengers.

Good to be on the ground, I'll hand the operation off to a worthy comrade who is headed back for the coast.

Landing weight= 63494.6 lbs

Fuel used= 3507.9 lbs

No penalties incurred

Very enjoyable flight!

MM
July 5th, 2009, 07:30
Good job, Austin. Beautiful snaps.

Real life delays here... :rolleyes: ... Will pick up in a few minutes...

MM
July 5th, 2009, 08:28
After a few interruptions...getting under way.

(Thought about Quito, but that leaves only a very short dull leg to Guayaquil. So we'll thread the needle to Quito for a "fly-by" and then go to the coast.)

Will have to fly in thin air on this leg.

Takeoff Weight: 68,275

MM
July 5th, 2009, 11:39
Over the hills and through the passes, to Guyaquil "784" did go...

Tried to keep below 12,000 feet for the passengers' comfort, but just missed. (12,360 max). Hope they enjoyed the tight twists and turns.

Landing Weight: 62957.0
Fuel Burned: 5302.3
Flight Time: 02:44:30

Commercial Centers: 8
(KLGA, KDCA, KMIA, MKJP, TJIG, TNCC, MPMG, SEGU)

salt_air
July 5th, 2009, 14:32
Great job Mike,

I'm thinking from looking at the "squiggly" line on the duenna map that the autopilot didn't get much use.....:icon_lol:

Well done!

MM
July 6th, 2009, 11:26
Long milk run down the coast to Lima.

Takeoff Weight: 69,638
Payload: 17,800

MM
July 6th, 2009, 15:03
Safely down at Las Palmas. During the 1940s and 1950s, Lima was a favorite vacation spot (and watering hole) for Hollywood's finest. (John Wayne met his wife here; she was dating a Panagra pilot when she met Wayne.) So off to the beach and a bit of relaxation.

Landing Weight: 63254.0
Fuel Burned: 6368.8
Flight Time: 03:09:40

Commercial Centers: 9

Perhaps there exists a different sort of passenger ready for air travel...

MM
July 6th, 2009, 16:20
Time to get high. Off to La Paz and El Alto.

Takeoff Weight: 68,795

MM
July 6th, 2009, 19:39
And now into El Alto at La Paz.

Two thirds of the way in thick air...but the last bit is a real challenge for the DC-4. The drama of the Andes and Altiplano made for a bit of weaving in between the peaks and ridges. The R-2000's did some panting for oxygen at a few moments. But all was well in the end.

La Paz is rather spectacularly set below the plateau with just fantastic vistas.

Landing Weight: 63148.2
Fuel Burned: 5635.0
Flight Time: 02:57:17

Commercial Centers: 10
(KLGA, KDCA, KMIA, MKJP, TJIG, TNCC, MPMG, SEGU, SPLP, SLLP)

Great Ozzie
July 7th, 2009, 07:07
Leaving the Rare Air of La Paz for the long trek to Los Cerrillos...

TOW: 72,144 lbs
Payload: 17,300 lbs

Edit: Ehem... I reckon this is the wildcard leg... :redf:

salt_air
July 7th, 2009, 08:55
All the cold beer you can drink waitin' on you at Santigo....:ernae:

Looks like a good guess on the fuel.

Hope the visiblity stays good for ya and you can maintain a fairly straight line of flight as this is close to the 1100 NM limit.

Fare well mate,,,,enjoy the trip,,,,should be some great scenery! :running:

Mike, you'll read this I'm sure.

Please take the honors on piloting the DC-4 to Buenos Aires.

I have had a ball, yet again, with this event. Hats off to you and the rest of the Committe.

Excellent work from a great team. Someone here from each of the major websites,,,,guess that would make us an "All-Stars". Transocean has done a very respectable job.

Thanks to Great Ozzie, Moses03, and to you Mike for lighting this candle in the first place.

Warm regards,

Great Ozzie
July 7th, 2009, 09:45
Thanks Salt,

Just passed the MJL NDB as I type... As far as scenery, well, am in and out of a broken layer at 12.000 and I can't really go to F11 (outside) view as each time I do for some reason my fps drop off a couple fps with each switch (from F10 to F11 back to F10). So this flight my head is buried in the cockpit. :-P

Yes this is over the 1100nm limit the way I hoped to fly it... down the coast to the SNO NDB then TAL. I kind of hate a straight-in to Rwy 21 unless visibility stays better than 10. So that or direct CHE and a PT back to Rwy 3 :-P

Thanks much! :ernae:

MM
July 7th, 2009, 10:44
Good luck Rob. Quite a challenge, that long leg in the DC-4.

PS. Been scouting the Santiago-Buenos Aires leg. Here's an Aviation Chart of the Andes portion of the route. Aconcagua seems prominent.

Great Ozzie
July 7th, 2009, 11:46
Thanks Mike,

Crossed over the SER NDB at 15:35 our time (19:35 UTC). Had I seen that chart sooner, I would have left this leg to Buzz as he's quite proficient at those spiraling approaches. :-P

Edit: if I crash now because I was teasing Buzz... I'll be so :angryfir:

Great Ozzie
July 7th, 2009, 12:55
Ok landed safely at Los Cerrillos (SCTI) :chile: :jump:

Landing Wt. 63,212.2 lbs
Fuel Used: 8,891.7 lbs
Flight Time: 05:42:18

Have at it Mike!!! :mixedsmi:

Great Ozzie
July 7th, 2009, 13:06
Try as I might, I could not find Cuscotopia...

However... we did have one strange looking Llama onboard...

MM
July 7th, 2009, 13:45
Will take '784' over the Uspallata Pass in a few hours. Hope to do better than little Pedro's encounter with Aconcagua...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLOB3QLUss

Update. The course of events has pushed the departure time forward another 24 hours or so.

srgalahad
July 8th, 2009, 22:11
Regarding the obvious choice of an Ernest Gann theme, here's a bit of info on the aircraft used in the film. I think you'll appreciate the connection :icon_lol:

"The DC-4 (N4726V; ex-N66694, ex-LV-ABR) used to film the tarmac, passenger boarding (at "Gate 4"), takeoff, and daylight flying sequences was a former C-54A-10-DC (c/n 10315) built as a military transport in 1942 at Long Beach, California by Douglas Aircraft Company under U.S. Army Air Force contract (USAAF s/n 42-72210).

When the exterior and flying sequences were filmed in mid-November 1953, the airliner was being operated by Oakland, California-based non-scheduled carrier Transocean Airlines (1946–1962), the largest civil aviation operator of recycled C-54's in the 1950s. Novel and screenplay author Ernest K. Gann wrote the original book while he was flying C-54s for Transocean over the Hawaii-California routes. The airliner was named The Argentine Queen and had once been the personal aircraft of Juan Perón, the controversial three-time President of Argentina. It was later operated by Slick Airways before being acquired by Transocean in 1953. The film's fictional airline's name "TOPAC" was painted over the Transocean's red, white and yellow color scheme for filming."

MM
July 9th, 2009, 07:32
Yes Rob, It's fascinating to discover the Argentine Queen's unusual story. The C-54A had various post-War experiences in Argentine service, including being fitted out in luxury as Juan Peron's Presidential aircraft. But by 1953 it was out of action. Our friends at Transocean found it in storage and purchased the core airframe. Disassembled to get the fuselage trucked through the narrow streets of B.A., it was shipped to Oakland's Hangar 28 where the technicians re-manufactured the aircraft to "good as new" status.

For a TALOA news story, see: http://www.taloa.org/aircraft_individuals.html

MM
July 9th, 2009, 07:57
Heading over the historic Uspallata Pass, over the Pampas, on to B.A.

Takeoff Weight: 68,818

MM
July 9th, 2009, 11:17
Final arrival at Ezeiza. Great flight scraping through the snow-covered Uspallata Pass and then over the vast Pampas. The eastern bits are dotted with highly productive farms but toward the west one can still find the gaucho spirit alive. At the end of our trip we find one of the most sophisticated cities in the world.

An enjoyable spectacular trip for Gans his co-pilots: Moses03, salt_air, Great Ozzie and MM (Kevin, Austin, Rob and Mike).

Landing Weight: 62832.6
Fuel Burned: 5970.9
Flight Time: 03:05:28

Commercial Centers: 11
(KLGA, KDCA, KMIA, MKJP, TJIG, TNCC, MPMG, SEGU, SPLP, SLLP, SCTI)
Night Legs: 3
(KLGA, LDCA, LMIA)

Vicious
July 9th, 2009, 11:30
Congrats on completing your run!!! I won’t make it there until tomorrow, so make sure you keep the party going for an extra day. :ernae: